After Rimworld... (concept art)

Started by Quasarrgames, April 25, 2015, 02:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I know it's a little early to talk about this, but still, i think that it might be fun to think about what could come next in the far future.

JUST BRAINSTORMING

It's clear that a lot of thought has gone into the rimworld universe, especially around the whole lightspeed space travel and the societal shifts that occur based on this. Thus, perhaps this universe should be used again in another game.
I have an idea for a relativistic space empire game. A little like sins of a solar empire, but with a little twist:

maybe, to keep with the lightspeed diversity of the rimworld universe, different star systems would be percieved in different times.
let me explain:
so, you start a colony on a planet that's two light years away from your home planet. when you mouse over and look at that planet, you see the planet as it was two years ago. So, your colony ship arrives at the planet two years in the future, but you don't see it arrive until 4 years in the future. This proves to be an interesting logistics problem/puzzle, since over the course of two years a war or could take place that decimates the planet. So, you'd have to take the necessary precautions to prevent a war from happening.

a space battle over a tropical planet (Scroll right) yes, i know, it's not great, but it's the bes i can do with my limited photoshop knowledge

There would also be lots of stuff to do, like ship customization (as in, you could actually build your ships, not just select what cargo and weapons they have) a very large, procedurally generated galaxy to explore and colonize, and some very strange xenohumans to interact with. You could become a fierce warmongering or peaceful trading race, or research your society into transcendence, or conduct social and genetic experiments on your population.

What do you think of this idea?
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Dive

I'm not sure about a relativistic strategy game. That would indeed be unusual but I feel like the further your spaceships will go, the weirder the gameplay will be. Note that historical events on each planet would occur on the same pace, so for the most distant planets the "relativistic lag/time between historical events" ratio will be unbearably high. That is the reason interstellar empires are considered unlikely to form in the official Rimworld lore.
I agree, though, that Rimworld's backstory provides a good foundation for many possible games. I can totally see some FPS games fitting in, since it seems like there is some crazy stuff happening in the colonised area of space. Worlds are getting wiped out by nuclear wars, uncontrollable gang wars are happening in an urbworld's slums, primitive tribals are trying to establish a civilisation on ruins of an old world, etc. These are perfect settings for an epic FPS game, if the developement is driven by a good scriptwriter.
There is as well place for a strategy game that is based on colonising worlds. Not Rimworld-style colonising but about actual colonisation ships, with less attention to individual colonists and more focus on terraforming, resource obtaining and management. More like Spore-style colonisation.