Dies in third raider attack Cassandra Casual EVERY TIME

Started by Spykiller, November 25, 2013, 10:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spykiller

Hi

Im definetly a noob. I played 6-10 games of 15-45 mins. I always die in the third raider attack. Normally I have good electric capacity, enough food, and enough metal. 3-8 colonists, depending on if raiders die or gets saved in first 2 attacks.

Then "the raid" happends. either there is a sniper, or a group of 6-10 raiders. I even had 10 turrets the one game, and my colonists have handguns, and sandbags.

I just cant survive that attack. Please help me <3

Galileus

QuoteI even had 10 turrets the one game

There's your problem ;) More turrets = more raiders. This is a hidden (and bad) mechanic, and many people fall for it. Will change in next version (more likely than not).

As for snipers - they are a pain, that's true. Until you get your own snipers. What you can try is to hide your colonists to lure snipers into their range, and only then strike. This means no turrets, too.

You can for example do a bunker:

Just keep your colonists behind doors and strike when raiders get closer.

hapes

I have 8 colonists in my current game, and the tactical situation is getting more complex.  Here's how I handled it:

1>  No turrets.  This has been documented elsewhere in this thread.
2>  Research blasting charges as soon as you can. 
3>  Have a corner at the entrance to your base.
4>  When raiders come, draft all your colonists, put them behind the corner.  They have to be 2 or more squares back of the corner, otherwise the raiders can squeeze the angle.
5>  The raiders will buzz into your base, where you can shoot them or melee them (depending on weapons available), and hopefully be successful.
6>  As raiders get more numerous, plant blasting charges on their expected paths (you have to do this BEFORE they land, or they'll spot you) and blow them up as they approach.

It's a bit cheesy, but it works for me.  Now that I can play Chill using this method, I'm going to try Cassandra with this plan, see how it goes.

ShadowDragon8685

You can cheese the raider's expected paths by planting the explosives along a highway of concrete you laid out just for them.

Line it with the graves and you can just collect the corpses.
Raiders must die!

Tynan

Yeah, sorry about this; there is a bit of a difficulty spike on raid three because of how I set up the challenge progress system.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

The_XaFFaX

Check out my video, on how I defend my base, since to be very simple to me... Any number of raiders can be handled using this approach, and the tunnel can be longer for more mines/door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLxRp8NiaQ

Spykiller

No turrets seems to be the way to go. My next game have lasted 200 days now. Still im struggling but thats the fun. Was 11 colonists at one point, now down to 8

murlocdummy

As ostensibly useful as a gradually escalating challenge progression system is, I tend to prefer the random generator due to the ability to use my own tactics to play the game, rather than relying on pre-built, wholly anticipated gameplay methods.

Ender

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 25, 2013, 01:54:38 PM
You can cheese the raider's expected paths by planting the explosives along a highway of concrete you laid out just for them.

Line it with the graves and you can just collect the corpses.

well thats just delightfully horrific.... and on another note, i still tend to make a room raiders walk in after being mauled on by mines a little bit. the room will have a few turrets (1-3) in the front by the door, then my colonists behind the blast zone, behind sand bags. turrets make great fire support if they aren't primaried instantly.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Hellvern

When I've used turrets I basically hide them behind the entrance door. build a big entrance to your colony, one door, and then stick the turrets behind said door. When the raiders kick the door down, they usually get mown down pretty quick. If you do it out in the open I find snipers just pick them of.