Cleaning Robots

Started by jacob021302, April 26, 2015, 12:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacob021302

Often in my colonies a lot of dirt build ups and it takes a while for it to get cleaned. So I was thinking that it would be nice that maybe you could build a robot constructing table or something to build small robots that do small tasks (like cleaning). And maybe if the creator of the robot isn't very skilled it might be crumby and eventually break. I don't think it would be much of a game changer just something that would be use full.

Here is what they might look like.

billycop32

I love the idea, but build able robots has the potential to be game breaking for balance so it's a steep slop 
+1 for cleaning robots only

Cryorus

Quote from: billycop32 on April 26, 2015, 01:08:29 PM
I love the idea, but build able robots has the potential to be game breaking for balance so it's a steep slop 

Building robots for other tasks other than cleaning WILL break the game since you pass the recruit part allowing you to "generate" colonists.
Only cleaning bots would be a good idea

JimmyAgnt007

This is suggested very frequently.  Please search before suggesting.  Ive added it to the list in the sticky.  I like the idea but Tynan knows people want it.  Let him decide when or if it is appropriate to add.

Cracker21

And give them spikes so they can attack! Massive army of cleaning robots that destroy everything! Haha... Just kidding, I do like the idea though, I think robots could be used in a variety of ways but for now, keep it simple with robotic cleaning slaves. Love it. +1

LittleGreenStone

I still think that creating robots using the rarely dropping AI cores wouldn't be much of a game-breaker, but would open up more possibilities instead -both good and bad.
People can't mass-produce anything if the requirements are right.

stefanstr

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 03, 2015, 11:55:44 PM

I still think that creating robots using the rarely dropping AI cores wouldn't be much of a game-breaker, but would open up more possibilities instead -both good and bad.

+1

If AI cores were necessary to build robots, and the robots would only do one kind of task, I feel the balance would be right. I would like to see robots for various activities, though: a cleaning robot, a hauling robot, a mining robot...

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: stefanstr on May 04, 2015, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 03, 2015, 11:55:44 PM

+1

If AI cores were necessary to build robots, and the robots would only do one kind of task, I feel the balance would be right. I would like to see robots for various activities, though: a cleaning robot, a hauling robot, a mining robot...

Yes, I can see your point and I more or less agree, but that would be like building an anti-matter generator just to power a light-blub, kinda dissatisfying.
AI stands for Artificial Intelligence, a machine that is fully capable of copying human behaviour in most aspects, including thinking, reasoning, learning, etcetera, etcetera.
If the AI core was used, the robot created with it should be a full-fledged mechanoid colonist.
Perhaps another, similarly rare item would be better for single-purpose robots.

czarnoff

In alpha 9 there was a mod that would allow you to reprogram mechs to do this kind of thing.  The mechs would break down, catch on fire, and turn on the colonists.  Integrating it into vanilla could be a lot of fun.

stefanstr

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 04, 2015, 11:26:07 AM
Yes, I can see your point and I more or less agree, but that would be like building an anti-matter generator just to power a light-blub, kinda dissatisfying.
AI stands for Artificial Intelligence, a machine that is fully capable of copying human behaviour in most aspects, including thinking, reasoning, learning, etcetera, etcetera.
If the AI core was used, the robot created with it should be a full-fledged mechanoid colonist.
Perhaps another, similarly rare item would be better for single-purpose robots.
Although AI copying the whole range of human behavior is a common Sci-Fi trope, I don't think it is a practical one. Why would you ever want to build a machine that is 100% human-like? (Other than to prove it is possible...) If you wanted to build a robot soldier, what use would it be to give it empathy or the need to be loved? If you wanted to build a cleaner robot, why would you need or want it to be sentient? Etc.

I don't think using AI cores for this would be all that preposterous. Think about our normal PCs - they are capable of a lot of stuff, and yet 80% of people use them to check Facebook, send emails and play Solitaire. I haven't seen anyone complain about the waste of resources. Similarly, we have general purpose microcontrollers - you program them to do one thing anyway. It is more practical than to jam 1000 functions into one machine.

TL;DR: I think there is no logical reason not to use AI Cores for single-purpose robots.

LittleGreenStone

I don't even...

Quote from: stefanstr on May 06, 2015, 07:30:30 AM
Although AI copying the whole range of human behavior is a common Sci-Fi trope, I don't think it is a practical one. Why would you ever want to build a machine that is 100% human-like?

100% human-like? Exactly who said that?

Artificial; created by man, an imitation of something natural,
and intelligence; capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and such.

An AI does not have to look like a human, hell, it  does not have to have a body to begin with (though it would be rather hard to accomplish that), however it is human-like in terms of intellectuality.
Yes, a machine that can learn and understand anything humans can and more.
That is about the opposite of a single purpose machine, like your bot-mixer. Imagine the difference between a carrot and a human. That's about the same difference when it comes to a single-purpose machine and an artificial intelligence. The difference is gapping wide.

If you wanted to build a robot soldier, what use would it be to give it empathy or the need to be loved? If you wanted to build a cleaner robot, why would you need or want it to be sentient? Etc.

Well, I don't see your bot-mixer having intelligence and missing your morning kisses, do you? If you want to build a soldier without empathy, or cleaner robot without sentience, you could start with NOT squeezing in an artificial intelligence while building it. Again, like building an anti-matter generator to power a light-blub.

I don't think using AI cores for this would be all that preposterous. Think about our normal PCs - they are capable of a lot of stuff, and yet 80% of people use them to check Facebook, send emails and play Solitaire.

...You have no idea what an AI is, do you? An AI isn't "capable", an AI would be a synthetic life-form. For the hundredth time, NOT a bot-mixer.

So
Why would you ever want to build a machine that is 100% human-like?

There are various reasons why a such a theoretical AI's physical appearance could(/would/should) resemble a human, including
-general functionality, because we evolved to this shape with a reason
-acceptance into society, believe it or not, people would have more problems with worm-looking robotz roaming around
-human curiosity, as you said, to create a true artificial human, and maybe more.

Similarly, we have general purpose microcontrollers - you program them to do one thing anyway. It is more practical than to jam 1000 functions into one machine.

Yes, you program them, and they'll execute their programs. That is just a tool, it will do nothing on its own.

In the end, there IS a logical issue with using AI cores to create over-complicated bot-mixers.

Toggle

The mechanical bench, you require something like plasteel possibly steel, and an ai-core. You make a cleaning bot, would probably be just a square or circle, it acts like a colonist and only cleans. When you make it, you place it like a tv or couch, you have to insert it somewhere with power though. It has a battery bar though, and when below a certain percentage, say 15% it would go and recharge at the block it was inserted at until fully charged. If it loses it's battery percentage, it has to be hauled. Can be blown up like turrets, can be damaged and repaired. Don't know how hard it would be but if you made it have the same cleaning AI as the pawns, eh. This would be something that I'd imagine would take a lot of work for Tynan, so probably wouldn't happen soon but even eventually would be great. Downside is if you add one robot that does a job, people will go "Why can't we have a robot for this, and this, and this, and this.".
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

stefanstr

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 10, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
I don't even...
[snip]
...You have no idea what an AI is, do you?
I was seriously contemplating reporting this post of yours. You are acting rude and dismissive for no good reason.

Not to mention, you completely missed my point so the joke's on you. I wasn't speaking about the physical appearance. The possible uses of a human-looking robot are obvious. I was speaking about the intelligence. I see little reason for AIs to be human-like in their intelligence. Feel free to re-read my post with that in mind. Maybe it will make more sense now.

You operate under the assumption that the definition of an AI is "a machine that thinks like a human" - which makes me wonder if you know what an AI is. An AI is a machine capable of intelligent behavior. It doesn't have to have general intelligence. It's intelligence can be limited to a specific skill-set. We speak about AI in computer games, for example. Do the pawns in RimWorld actually think? No. And yet we refer to them as AI.

I think your objection is that "AI Persona Core" seems to suggest human-like intelligence. But we don't actually know that. And even if it was true I don't see your problem. Let's say you have an AI Persona Core lying around in your stockpile. Would it be more useful to you lying around or powering a cleaning robot? There is no reason why you couldn't reprogram the AI for the single goal.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 10, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
The mechanical bench, you require something like plasteel possibly steel, and an ai-core. You make a cleaning bot, would probably be just a square or circle, it acts like a colonist and only cleans. When you make it, you place it like a tv or couch, you have to insert it somewhere with power though. It has a battery bar though, and when below a certain percentage, say 15% it would go and recharge at the block it was inserted at until fully charged. If it loses it's battery percentage, it has to be hauled. Can be blown up like turrets, can be damaged and repaired. Don't know how hard it would be but if you made it have the same cleaning AI as the pawns, eh. This would be something that I'd imagine would take a lot of work for Tynan, so probably wouldn't happen soon but even eventually would be great. Downside is if you add one robot that does a job, people will go "Why can't we have a robot for this, and this, and this, and this.".
Yep. Exactly. As to "why can't we have a robot for this..." - once you've programmed one robot in, it'd be very easy to create more of them. You would simply link an AI related to another task to it. I would welcome hauling robots, plant cutting robots and mining robots, especially. Plus, I think patrolling robots would be cool, if Tynan ever implements patrolling.

Adamiks

Quote from: stefanstr on May 11, 2015, 04:36:52 AM
Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 10, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
I don't even...
[snip]
...You have no idea what an AI is, do you?
I was seriously contemplating reporting this post of yours. You are acting rude and dismissive for no good reason.

Not to mention, you completely missed my point so the joke's on you. I wasn't speaking about the physical appearance. The possible uses of a human-looking robot are obvious. I was speaking about the intelligence. I see little reason for AIs to be human-like in their intelligence. Feel free to re-read my post with that in mind. Maybe it will make more sense now.

You operate under the assumption that the definition of an AI is "a machine that thinks like a human" - which makes me wonder if you know what an AI is. An AI is a machine capable of intelligent behavior. It doesn't have to have general intelligence. It's intelligence can be limited to a specific skill-set. We speak about AI in computer games, for example. Do the pawns in RimWorld actually think? No. And yet we refer to them as AI.

I think your objection is that "AI Persona Core" seems to suggest human-like intelligence. But we don't actually know that. And even if it was true I don't see your problem. Let's say you have an AI Persona Core lying around in your stockpile. Would it be more useful to you lying around or powering a cleaning robot? There is no reason why you couldn't reprogram the AI for the single goal.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 10, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
Yep. Exactly. As to "why can't we have a robot for this..." - once you've programmed one robot in, it'd be very easy to create more of them. You would simply link an AI related to another task to it. I would welcome hauling robots, plant cutting robots and mining robots, especially. Plus, I think patrolling robots would be cool, if Tynan ever implements patrolling.

In description of the AI persona core there is written "superhuman intelligence", so i think that robots with AI persona core would be even more intelligent than humans. I don't think that anyone would use so powerful AI persona core for.... cleaning robot from XXI age. Anyway i think that robots created from AI persona core should have every skill with 1.5x multiplier, but with 0 lv. Why? Because AI persona core is (probably) programmed to be computer on/in the rocket.

Anyway +1 for cheap cleaning robots (when i say cheap i mean without AI persona core).

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: stefanstr on May 11, 2015, 04:36:52 AM

Please, by all means, do that. And while you are at it, look up the definition of AI.
Kisses.