Minimum room size

Started by Cryotech, November 23, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryotech

What's the minimum room size you may create, without colonists feeling claustrophobic?
"Within war, salvation is annihilation"

nnescio

Quote from: Cryotech on November 23, 2013, 06:39:44 PM
What's the minimum room size you may create, without colonists feeling claustrophobic?

<7 walkable tiles: Very cramped (-10 happiness)
<27 walkable tiles: Cramped (-5 happiness)

So, the minimum room size is 7x4 (interior dimensions), with room for one flower pot, or 6x5, with room for three flower pots (or one flower pot and one equipment rack).

If you want to save space, go with 3x3 rooms with two flower pots. The beauty bonuses help cancel the "cramped" penalties. Flower pots are more effective in smaller rooms due to their ridiculously small effect radius (roughly two tiles).

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: nnescio on November 23, 2013, 07:55:17 PMIf you want to save space, go with 3x3 rooms with two flower pots. The beauty bonuses help cancel the "cramped" penalties. Flower pots are more effective in smaller rooms due to their ridiculously small effect radius (roughly two tiles).

I don't think this works. Colonists don't register the beauty of flower-pots whilst sleeping, but they do register the irritation of being in a cramped room.
Raiders must die!

Merry76

ShadowDragon8685 is right: the colonists feel the effect of the cramped space all night, the flower pots only for a few seconds they take from door to bed.

This makes flower pots (or bedroom decorations/cleanliness alltogether) complete useless. This is however likely to change, as sleeping in some disgusting cavern that just happens to have the right size shouldnt be prefered to a nice, but tight bunk.

Dragula

The influence of feeling cramped doesn't seem to have a really big impact in the long run.
I usually give them 3x3 rooms until everything is up and running nicely and there is a nice stash of metal, then give them bigger rooms. 5x6 works.

kidak

Quote from: Dragula on November 25, 2013, 05:59:30 PM
The influence of feeling cramped doesn't seem to have a really big impact in the long run.
I usually give them 3x3 rooms until everything is up and running nicely and there is a nice stash of metal, then give them bigger rooms. 5x6 works.

Is 5x6 the smallest you can go without the cramped feeling kicking in?  I tend to use 5x5 because i am ocd about symmetry and 5x5 is easier to plan around. :)

ShadowDragon8685

Honestly, I think the happiness penalty from tight quarters needs to be seriously reworked. People can be happy in pretty tight quarters - the room I spend most of time in would probably be about 2-3 by 3 tiles in RimWorld tiles, and my bedroom is definitely only 2x3. Yet I certainly don't freak out from not having enough horizontal space around me.
Raiders must die!

Luckless

I just realized that colonists complain about living in a room that would be maybe four or five times the area I have to myself. Hopefully more 'goodies' are added in the next few builds and the 'cramped' can be replaced with some other modifier for an 'unfinished' room with few personal items that you can then improve over time as you increase your colony's ability to manufacture things.

Dragula

As mentioned by Nnescio earlier;
Quote from: nnescio on November 23, 2013, 07:55:17 PM

<7 walkable tiles: Very cramped (-10 happiness)
<27 walkable tiles: Cramped (-5 happiness)

So, the minimum room size is 7x4 (interior dimensions), with room for one flower pot, or 6x5, with room for three flower pots (or one flower pot and one equipment rack).