[A11b] Seeds Please! (V1.2) updated by Leucitius (10 July 2015)

Started by Vendan, April 27, 2015, 07:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Nice, this is something I always felt was missing from vanilla.

Vendan

Quote from: Kolljak on April 28, 2015, 01:34:46 PM
I also came across this. had 20 seeds picked up 8 ... only got 8.
Quote from: PastaCrusade on April 27, 2015, 10:24:52 PM
Seed hauling is bugged.  Someone will try to pick up all the seeds, they will fail to merge, and they will only put what ever they picked up first into a stockpile, destroying the rest.

Bug is fixed, though not perfectly.  You will most likely end up with multiple stacks stored on a single cell, this is an issue with the base game not checking Thing.CanStackWith(Thing2).(so is what I just fixed, it's just a difference in how easily I can fix it)  Still, no lost seeds now.

Kolljak

Seeds are not droping from the plants on harvest other then = to the amount planted do i just have to do with this limited amount until coms? or is this not right?

Vendan

Quote from: Kolljak on April 28, 2015, 04:01:46 PM
Seeds are not droping from the plants on harvest other then = to the amount planted do i just have to do with this limited amount until coms? or is this not right?

If you look at the genome for the seed or the crop, there's 2 chances there, one for base seed chance, one for additional seed chance.  Base chance should be 100%, means you always get one seed.  Additional seed chance is variable, and that's the chance to get 2 seeds.  I'm actually reworking how the seed stuff works, so there will be a botanist's table that you can use to process a unit of the harvest yield into multiple seeds, which will make the seeds stuff a little easier to work with.

Kolljak

Guess i gota stock up winter came and destroyed my crops and i lost all my seeds :D

Vendan

Quote from: Kolljak on April 28, 2015, 07:07:34 PM
Guess i gota stock up winter came and destroyed my crops and i lost all my seeds :D
Yeah, unfortunately, nothing makes them smarter about planting, so gotta be a little careful.  I probably need to work over the growing area a little, so I'll take a look at adding a "Fallow" option that tells it to just harvest and not plant, that way you can switch them to fallow in late fall.

Kolljak

Ive gone and removed your seeds mod for now after testing other then that 1 pick up bug. its pretty stable.

The i recommend you find a way for players to get seeds w/o needing communication so it is friendly with other mods

My recommendation is make it so bushes drop random seeds when cut down
[berry bushes dropping strawberryseeds at least] [Agave from agave plants] [and wheat from grass in some biomes.]

in order to level out the gameplay i found myself using a radio beacon from Clutter to drive the animals on the planet mad so i could kill them all for food :D.

sidfu

wasnt there another mod that added some seed types just a few to the game as a extention or something. if can find it that had where u get so many seeds when u land.

wouldnt the xml code be simlar for wild plants as for normal plants but for name change?
another question why would u need a map generator file when its not even adding any seeds or modfiying anything related to seeds/plants?

hector212121

Why not make genetic drift? When a seed is planted, 33% for a small change up in a stat, 33% down, and 34% unchanged.

With some luck/elbow grease, you could get .5 day grow Potatoes with 0 flammability and light requirements!

Vendan

Quote from: sidfu on April 29, 2015, 04:55:55 PM
wasnt there another mod that added some seed types just a few to the game as a extention or something. if can find it that had where u get so many seeds when u land.

wouldnt the xml code be simlar for wild plants as for normal plants but for name change?
another question why would u need a map generator file when its not even adding any seeds or modfiying anything related to seeds/plants?

The map generator is only so that the seeds come down in a droppod, that was copied from FlowerChild's mod.  I'm working on making it so you can use native plants until you get a trader.  XML is similar for native vs cultivated plants, but native plants cannot be cultivated.  If a plant is "native" to the biome and is planted in a growing zone, it won't get a harvest job made, so I have to duplicate the entry AND make the existing plant drop seeds/whatever.
Quote from: hector212121 on April 29, 2015, 09:09:46 PM
Why not make genetic drift? When a seed is planted, 33% for a small change up in a stat, 33% down, and 34% unchanged.

With some luck/elbow grease, you could get .5 day grow Potatoes with 0 flammability and light requirements!

Issue when you start making so many "genome"s is how do you pick what genome to plant in a field?  That's one reason I'm working on a revamp to the genetics system, and trying to get into the guts of growing zones so you can specify a genome to plant in them.  The other part of it is I'm trying to reduce the variety of genomes, by basically making a list of genes.  Each gene will have a specific effect, and the genome will either have the gene or not have the gene, so there'll be a limited(though still quite high) number of genomes.  Hopefully, if the current plans work out, plants will be able to specify what "groups" of genes they can have.  I would love to add a lot more crops, but I can't do art.  If anyone wants to contribute art/plant defs, I would gladly accept, and I would also love to support any modder that wants to make "submods" off of mine.

Ykara

Oh my god, this is so amazing! I really like this mod, it really adds some depth to the growing system. I'm really looking forward to further updates, the idea of this mod is just too cool!
Keep up the awesome work!

Ninefinger

This mod has a lot of potential loving what im seeing, hope everything will be properly balanced so that crops dont grow too fast if they are modified with genomes since that is what hydroponics are for, however being able to have them grow at night so long as they are brightly lit is a great idea.

hector212121

There is the option of using the Sculpture placing thing for seeds.

Maybe make it so you can 'harvest for seed' and 1 plant of seeds is a 3x3 area? Then you place the 'seed bag' there and it's planted?

And then there are generic seeds..

sidfu

probaly on seed drops its best to have where say when u harvest for food u have a chance based on there planting/cutting skill to get 1-3 seeds or more.

akiceabear

Quote from: sidfu on April 30, 2015, 05:25:10 PM
probaly on seed drops its best to have where say when u harvest for food u have a chance based on there planting/cutting skill to get 1-3 seeds or more.

I hope this isn't the case - I like the balance as is. If plants are giving 3 seeds each then they soon become pointless.

what about automatically marking seeds forbidden in the days before the switch to winter?