[A11b] Seeds Please! (V1.2) updated by Leucitius (10 July 2015)

Started by Vendan, April 27, 2015, 07:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Oh, I loved this feature from BTSG.
The seeds seem pretty expensive though.

Would be cool to have cheep seeds with bad stats, like a seed with a really low yield, or one with a extremely low chance to give any seeds when harvested, etc.

Vendan

Quote from: AllenWL on May 01, 2015, 09:01:46 PM
Oh, I loved this feature from BTSG.
The seeds seem pretty expensive though.

Would be cool to have cheep seeds with bad stats, like a seed with a really low yield, or one with a extremely low chance to give any seeds when harvested, etc.
That's something I'm working on with the genetics change, basically each gene will have a market value tweak that adjusts the price of the seed accordingly.  Still working on it, I'm having to redo a lot of the stuff copied from BTSG to do it right.

AllenWL

Oh, forgot to ask, but can I install this on a already started colony?

akiceabear

QuoteOh, forgot to ask, but can I install this on a already started colony?

My understanding is it will be a pretty large challenge, since you won't receive a initial batch from the crash sequence and won't know when the next trader with good seeds will come by.

Vendan

Quote from: akiceabear on May 03, 2015, 09:46:17 AM
QuoteOh, forgot to ask, but can I install this on a already started colony?

My understanding is it will be a pretty large challenge, since you won't receive a initial batch from the crash sequence and won't know when the next trader with good seeds will come by.

Yes, though it does help to have a large stock of produce/meals in the freezer.  This may change with the new genetics and seed system(seeds will be extracted from the produce, and genomeless produce will probably be treated as the "default" genome).  And yes, still working on it, just have to squeeze it in between job and family.  :)

AllenWL

Ok then, I'll wait for spring before I install this. It seems that animals are more abundant in warmer months, and I should be able to get enough animals to keep the colony going till a trader comes by. Won't be the first time I had to deal with starvation!(When I was playing BTW, I decided to just hunt for everything after planting the initial seeds, then when winter came and animals became scarce...)

Speaking of which, it would be nice if all crops had a different 'genetic limit' of sorts.
For example, corn can, with proper care, yield huge amounts of food, but it would never be able to grow as fast as say, rice.

Vendan

Quote from: AllenWL on May 03, 2015, 09:35:43 PM
Ok then, I'll wait for spring before I install this. It seems that animals are more abundant in warmer months, and I should be able to get enough animals to keep the colony going till a trader comes by. Won't be the first time I had to deal with starvation!(When I was playing BTW, I decided to just hunt for everything after planting the initial seeds, then when winter came and animals became scarce...)

Speaking of which, it would be nice if all crops had a different 'genetic limit' of sorts.
For example, corn can, with proper care, yield huge amounts of food, but it would never be able to grow as fast as say, rice.

That's part of what I'm working on with the new genetics system.  There's discrete genes that can offer specific advantages and disadvantages, and there's a system for a gene to be dominant over other genes, as well as a way to tag genes and plants, so a plant can only express genes that have a tag in common with a plant.  If it all works out right, I/other modders will be able to add custom plants and genes in pure xml.

AllenWL

Are the genetics of seeds the trader has random? I'm kinda annoyed because they're tying to sell me seeds with <50%(usually around 10~30) base seed chance for the full price. So far, have yet to see seeds with a base seed chance anywhere near 100.

Kubouch

Quote from: AllenWL on May 14, 2015, 06:18:31 AM
Are the genetics of seeds the trader has random? I'm kinda annoyed because they're tying to sell me seeds with <50%(usually around 10~30) base seed chance for the full price. So far, have yet to see seeds with a base seed chance anywhere near 100.

I'm now playing the mod and this exactly makes the mod unplayable. Especially with the prices of seeds set that high. Paying 200$ for one plant with 20% chance of dropping a seed doesn't work and as a result I only farm the starting potatoes... Anyway, I love the mod and apart from this annoyance it works fine.

Kubouch

Quote from: Kubouch on May 17, 2015, 05:28:00 AM
I'm now playing the mod and this exactly makes the mod unplayable. Especially with the prices of seeds set that high. Paying 200$ for one plant with 20% chance of dropping a seed doesn't work and as a result I only farm the starting potatoes... Anyway, I love the mod and apart from this annoyance it works fine.

I seem to have fixed it. Inside SeedsPlease/Defs/ThingDefs/Plants_Cultivated.xml under <category>Plant</category> there is a <baseSeedChance> where you can set min/max probability of dropping a seed. I set the min. probability to 0.75 (75%).

Ninefinger

Your source files are missing the jobs haul to cell. if you could please include this that would be great i just want to be able to increase starting seed amount from 8 to something closer to 30, they are seeds after all a small pack of them should contain lots. :)

letharion

Quote from: Kubouch on May 17, 2015, 05:50:04 AM
Quote from: Kubouch on May 17, 2015, 05:28:00 AM

I seem to have fixed it. Inside SeedsPlease/Defs/ThingDefs/Plants_Cultivated.xml under <category>Plant</category> there is a <baseSeedChance> where you can set min/max probability of dropping a seed. I set the min. probability to 0.75 (75%).
Playing with ninefingers overhaul, I find the same issue to make this otherwise awesome mod, incredibly annoying. 1000 silver for a a seed of xerigerum, that will likely only yield one or two herbs? No thanks. I'd be better off taunting my hostile factions so I can kill them for their medicine. (Though that feature isn't available).

Captain_Goatse

The idea is good, but the mod is broken and unplayable right now. Seeds are too rare and expensive, merchants do not stock them and when they stock them the price is absurd, way higher than a full stock of grown crops. Seriously, how in hell a stock of 20 potato seeds could be 10 times more expensive than 20 potatoes? That should be the contrary, otherwise we would not have developed agriculture...  The chance of getting seeds is very low: this is realistic, but it should be counterbalanced by making seeds cheap and very available.

nukularpower

The intention is likely to make the start harder (knowing Flowerchilds mods like I do, and this was based on one.)   IMO its a little too much that way though, compared to vanilla;  I wouldnt care if the "rare" seeds were expensive (like xerigium) but the price of potato seeds is a little exorbitant :)

Honestly, I wouldnt want to see it go down toooo much, and especially not to see this resolved with a higher drop rate of seeds (which would just mean you paid x silver, whatever it was, and then were set.)   

AllenWL

Actually, in BTSG, you started off with 50 'terminator' seeds, and seeds where divided into two groups cheap 'terminator' seeds that gave no seeds on harvest, but where very cheap about the same cost as the produce, and expensive 'viable' seeds which gave seeds every harvest with a small chance for extra seeds, but very expensive goods, averaging 100+ silver and only sold by slavers('black market traders').

There was no worrying about growth speed or yield amount, or how likely you where to get a seed and whether it was worth buying.
You either bought viable seeds, terminator seeds, or the raw goods.

While I do love the need for seeds when planting, I feel the various 'genetic values', at least until they are better implanted, only clutter up the mod and make it very much broken.