Praying

Started by Asfalto, April 28, 2015, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asfalto

Remove that mechanic that arbitrairly gives "joy"

Space colonists praying to me is them going insane, not "trying to get some peace"
It's a stupid game mechanic, and concept.

First disappointmetn from this game, and i love it, and partecipated in a lot of modding discussions and so on, but nobody ever thought of adding a mechanic this stupid between all the modders.
There is a reason for that: it's stupid.

RemingtonRyder

It's not arbitrary. Only some colonists pray, and even then they only do so in a room where they can be alone. It doesn't necessarily mean that your colony has evolved much from a crudely-constructed shelter from zombies, but it's better than everyone sharing the same room, usually the same floor. :)

Besides, it's only one of several joy activities in the 'meditative' category.

Mikhail Reign

Book was an awesome space cowboy, and he was a preacher..

That said, I would like to see 'praying' being linked to a spiritual trait (so I could choose to accept or reject god fearing colonists, just as I do ones who eat people), and the ability to dictate where praying happens instead of just in their rooms - my golden temples surrounding the holy shippart look empty....

Tobias

I'm a convinced atheist but I think the "praying" joy activity is an important one. Not all of the colonist pray, just like in real life. And some people find comfort in faith. So should your colonist.

I like Mikhail Reign's idea of an additional "spiritual" trait. Those colonist should get a benefit it there is a "shrine" or "temple" area in the colony.
I'm not sure if the praying should be tied to that trait, though.

Mikhail Reign

Well I was thinking along the line of splitting 'meditate' and 'praying' between non spiritual and spiritual colonists. Have them achieve the same thing, but though different means. Maybe even a few others, like.. only brawlers will 'shadow box' and you can build a punching bag to buff it, trigger-happy guys will 'plink at stuff' and you can build a shooting range to buff it, psycopaths will.. i dunno.. torture prisoners and you can build them a room that will buff it. Basically trait specific 'joy' stuff that they will do on their own, but if you build them a room for it they will use that instead and get better results.

Tobias

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 28, 2015, 01:18:46 PM
Well I was thinking along the line of splitting 'meditate' and 'praying' between non spiritual and spiritual colonists.
Have them achieve the same thing, but though different means. Maybe even a few others, like.. only brawlers will 'shadow box' and you can build a punching bag to buff it, trigger-happy guys will 'plink at stuff' [...]
Basically trait specific 'joy' stuff that they will do on their own, but if you build them a room for it they will use that instead and get better results.

Now I get it. Yes, that's the way. To "split" between meditation and praying / non-spiritual and spritual / different joys based on traits.
That is a very, very cool idea. Would a so much personality to the colonist.
I really like it.

+1

RickyMartini

All colonists had their personalities anyway, even before the joy implementation.

For example, a colonists could have been an assassin, a drug dealer or a spy. Just because I disagree with their past it doesn't make the game mechanics stupid..?
Even though I'm an atheist in real life I can only say that these joy activities add to the atmosphere, and fill out a space where colonists used to just wander around when they were idle.

And I like the idea of Mikhail to make meditating/praying fit to the characters background.

Mikhail Reign

Actually just to reiterate my idea, instead of room, items. So the brawler/punching bag works, but spiritual people might want a little mat to pray on, masochists a whip rack etc etc. You could place these items in common rooms, but some things might annoy other colonists (no violent types take offense to masochists whipping them selves, atheists don't like people praying) so placing the items in the colonists bedroom means that A: that colonist would prefer to use that item B: others wouldn't and C: that colonist would get buff for owning something.

On the flip side, you could choose to put a few of these items in one room, and that would cause like minded colonist to hang out together and chat while they do there thing. So you would see your brawlers all hanging out in the gym, asking each other 'You even lift bro?!?", or your Too-Smart guys hanging out in your library playing some D&D.

Hell these things could even minorly buff some stats similar to how horseshoes does to shooting. Punching bags obviously improve melee, reading improves research (or possible just their most passionate skill? seems sensible that a guy who loves building would read about building), praying/meditating improves social skills and other well thought out things not written by someone at 6am.

RickyMartini

LOL I'd like to see the whip rack.

Negocromn

Quote from: Asfalto on April 28, 2015, 09:52:29 AM
Remove that mechanic that arbitrairly gives "joy"

Space colonists praying to me is them going insane, not "trying to get some peace"

First disappointmetn from this game, and i love it, and partecipated in a lot of modding discussions and so on, but nobody ever thought of adding a mechanic this stupid between all the modders.
There is a reason for that: it's stupid.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 28, 2015, 03:54:06 PM
Actually just to reiterate my idea, instead of room, items. So the brawler/punching bag works, but spiritual people might want a little mat to pray on, masochists a whip rack etc etc. You could place these items in common rooms, but some things might annoy other colonists (no violent types take offense to masochists whipping them selves, atheists don't like people praying) so placing the items in the colonists bedroom means that A: that colonist would prefer to use that item B: others wouldn't and C: that colonist would get buff for owning something.

On the flip side, you could choose to put a few of these items in one room, and that would cause like minded colonist to hang out together and chat while they do there thing. So you would see your brawlers all hanging out in the gym, asking each other 'You even lift bro?!?", or your Too-Smart guys hanging out in your library playing some D&D.

Hell these things could even minorly buff some stats similar to how horseshoes does to shooting. Punching bags obviously improve melee, reading improves research (or possible just their most passionate skill? seems sensible that a guy who loves building would read about building), praying/meditating improves social skills and other well thought out things not written by someone at 6am.

Give the Builders and/or Psychopaths Lego, stand back and watch the carnage. None of our colonists have shoes!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

TrashMan

Quote from: Asfalto on April 28, 2015, 09:52:29 AM

you're an idiot....

user was warned for this post

TrashMan

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 28, 2015, 10:34:43 AM
Book was an awesome space cowboy, and he was a preacher..

That said, I would like to see 'praying' being linked to a spiritual trait (so I could choose to accept or reject god fearing colonists, just as I do ones who eat people), and the ability to dictate where praying happens instead of just in their rooms - my golden temples surrounding the holy shippart look empty....

Praying is something you can technically do ANYWHERE.

Mckee

I'm a pretty committed agnostic but I can tell you for certain that if I fell out of the sky in a small metal pod, crashed with two other people, survived that, then found myself constantly attacked and scraping to survive - I'd try praying too.

I don't think writing off features/traits that don't fit our very personal beliefs is a good idea - we'd have some pretty boring characters if we got rid of all the criminals, tribals, cannibals and vat grown space marines...

Darth Fool

If you don't like your colonists praying, you can always stop them by drafting them.  Or sending other colonists to arrest them.  Up to you...