stockpile prioritizing system

Started by puffascruffowitz, April 30, 2015, 04:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffascruffowitz

This might have been suggested already, but the stockpile priority levels should only hold true for items not currently stored in a stockpile. Otherwise your haulers begin to haul items to the "critical" stockpile from a lower priority one. If I wanted this to be the case I would simply delete the lower level stockpile or simply ban certain items I didn't want in there.

So if I have two piles for steel let's say. One of them is the one I want to prioritize since it's closer to my construction area so I bump it to Critical. When the haulers though are left with nothing outside of stockpiles to haul they will  begin moving items from the lower priority pile to the critical one.

A simple fix would be to make a critical stockpile simply the first choice for all materials OUTSIDE of an existing stockpile so haulers don't needlessly shuffle stuff around.

Sorry so long was just trying to explain it.

Mikhail Reign

Uh. This seems like a horrible idea. I dont think in the only one who uses the priority system to, for example: have all my raw food stored in a fridge, with a higher priority stockpile next to the cookers. Or high priority wood piles next to my crafting tables so the crafter don't have to travel and haulers replace the wood they use. Or high priority piles of herbal medicine in the hospital that are replenished by lower piles that are in the fridge. Or high priority meal piles in the common room that are replenished by haulers from meals in the fridge. Or any number of other examples.

puffascruffowitz

I see what you're saying, but the problem I run into is when I'm using a stockpile just as a temporary depository for all the crap I get from mining. In cases like those I want the temporary stockpile to be high priority, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want people hauling things from my "main" stockpile to this temporary one.

Snownova

I actually really like the current system. For example at the start I'll make one big stockpile room where I just dump everything. But then as my colony develops I'll make a hospital room with its own little stockpile dedicated to medical supplies. I'd like my pawns to move the medicines to the hospital without removing the original stockpile, because I also want it to hold any potential overflow of goods.

Kaballah

Quote from: puffascruffowitz on April 30, 2015, 04:04:32 AM
So if I have two piles for steel let's say. One of them is the one I want to prioritize since it's closer to my construction area so I bump it to Critical. When the haulers though are left with nothing outside of stockpiles to haul they will  begin moving items from the lower priority pile to the critical one.

Why would you not just disable steel from being allowed to the farther-away stockpile in your scenario?

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: puffascruffowitz on April 30, 2015, 05:13:00 AM
I see what you're saying, but the problem I run into is when I'm using a stockpile just as a temporary depository for all the crap I get from mining. In cases like those I want the temporary stockpile to be high priority, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want people hauling things from my "main" stockpile to this temporary one.

If two stockpiles have the same priority, the colonists will place items in the closest stockpile and won't move items from one to another. Place the stockpile near your mine with the same priority as your other stockpile and you shouldn't have an issue.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Adamiks

I said "+1", but after long thoughts i think that this will be stupid. For example when i wanna put steel next to the smithing table colonists will take steel from OUTSIDE the base but not from my main stockpile and this would be very.... weak.