Base defence, is that "legal" or is it exploit/cheat?

Started by The_XaFFaX, November 26, 2013, 04:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_XaFFaX

Hi all,

I am new to the forums, however I have been playing (and enjoying!) the game so far, even though it is in pre-alpha state (what is quite a good thing I must say). I have been working on defenses for the colonies I was building, and I come up with 2 ways of defending, which seem the best (probably those were covered already, and this is not now, but hey - this is what the forum is for I guess, I want to know if my play style is ok).

Anyway, the first approach I had (this is not on the video) was that I created a few turrets inside my base in a small room. Before that room I have door, when raiders approach and try to hide behind walls for cover I sell all walls around them. Being without any cover they die from my turret/colonist fire. Is that "legal" or an exploit? I am asking since if it is, I would recommend implementing some form of Ai to be able to handle that. This was done on the same base that is on the video below.

Another approach I have is to build a door where the raiders group, mine the tunnel/corridor after this door (as the video shows), with several mines, and detonate them in a timely fashion, making all of them die without ANY fight. Obviously the corridor can be longer, more mines/door to handle even several dozen of those guys. Is this a good approach? Seems to be OP, since I can handle ANY attack with ANY number of invaders, even without power. Any thoughts on this?

Below is the video, take a look and let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLxRp8NiaQ

Thanks!

XaFFaX

Mouvitz

Hi,

The first case is most definitely cheating if you ask me, however, no AI needs to be coded to handle that scenario seeing how in future builds your colonist will have to manually dismantle structures that you sell.

The_XaFFaX

Quote from: Mouvitz on November 26, 2013, 10:59:52 AM
Hi,

The first case is most definitely cheating if you ask me, however, no AI needs to be coded to handle that scenario seeing how in future builds your colonist will have to manually dismantle structures that you sell.

I thought so, and also I suspected that later on all structures would need to be manually dismantled.