Improving and/or Adding on to Explorable Rooms

Started by Voisti, June 04, 2015, 02:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voisti

What does the title mean? It means event and/or pre-generated rooms that contain unknown contents, and the only way to find out what those are is to enter these areas. This is a thing already, but the only stuff you find are mechs or cryptosleep caskets, which means that there is very little reason to explore these areas if you do not have an absolute need or desire to do so.

There are at least a few ways to improve upon this. The most obvious way is to add more variety to what you find in these rooms, such as a good weapon or other valuables, and npcs, which could either attack you, be passive or be, for example, a trapped survivor who is eternally grateful or whatever and joins you.

It would also be neat if these rooms appeared temporarily as events, and would either go away after a certain amount of time or stay. The only thing I can think of for this is a spaceship that made an emergency landing and would eventually leave, or a spaceship that made a crash landing that would never leave (but only in unoccupied space, that would be pretty annoying if it landed on top of your base. Also, there would need to be a maximum amount and a certain distance apart for each of these permanent events, so that the map does not get congested over time.)

The crash would contain better loot than most of the pre-generated rooms, and possibly mechs or cryptosleep caskets. The emergency one could contain similar things to the above, but with high level loot (and mechs to defend it), or traders that will give you some pretty good prices because of their situation. But of course, you wouldn't know until you entered the room.

This is the only way I could think of to improve Explorable rooms, though I'm sure there are better ways. This was just a random thought of something that I would like to see improved, but this is not necessarily where the game needs more at the moment. Or maybe it is. All a matter of opinion, and if you've made it this far, I thank you. Also I ask, what do you think? (If you disagree, don't be rude, be constructive.) :P
"Puns give double the meaning to life."

Voisti

I should have read the Cheap Ideas thread first. This probably belongs there, although I'm unsure. Tynan seems pretty good about getting things done in decent time, but I don't know how to judge this. He could probably do this in half a day.
"Puns give double the meaning to life."

Euzio

I would agree I guess. It would definitely be more of an incentive to unlock these rooms if there were hidden cache of useful or valuable items (charge rifles, gold statues, etc). Naturally these would be guarded by mechanoids and thus if we unlock the rooms, we must get rid of the guards to get to the items. Right now, there is really isn't much incentive to unlock the rooms when we know that what comes out is gonna be either mechanoids intent on destruction or people in cryosleep who seem intent to go berserk the moment they wake up.