Negative passion flames

Started by Snownova, May 01, 2015, 12:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

I've seen a lot of people comment on how ridiculous it is that the nobleman who wanders into your colony (or crashes with you) just flat out refuses to haul, and a lot of other things like that.

I'd like to propose a system of negative passion flames to balance out the "incapable of" system. If a character has a negative passion flame for a certain task, he can and will perform that task, but his effectiveness at it will be reduced by, say 50%? Also their joy rating will rapidly decline while performing such a task. Perhaps movement will be reduced while hauling, to indicate their unwillingness?

This adds an interesting gameplay choice: I really need to bring the harvest inside, but if I make Lord Barklay help, there's a good chance he'll get depressed.

Some tasks like medicine, construction, smithing, tailoring, wardening and art require some basic skill or training so they can legitimately be disabled completely based on history. But things like mining, growing, crafting, hauling and cleaning should be an option for all able-bodied colonists.

Also the medical conditions of "bad back" and "frail" could legitimately disable hauling. I mean which is more realistic, an old lady of 75 with a bad back refusing to haul logs, or a 27 year old medieval lord who refuses to haul logs?

Shinzy

Yeeess!
Lord barclay will have to chip in on the emergency haul trips
and get his royal face hammered with wine afterwards

Darth Fool

I would not make an exception to your base suggestion for the minimum skill required to do medicine,etc....  The colonist would just perform it at a very bad level and slowly and get depressed, so you wouldn't want to have them do it.  As for the medical conditions, I think that can be taken care of naturally by the effects on manipulation and moving and a reasonable penalty to speed based on the weight of what you are carrying... 75 year old can slowly carry this meal from one stockpile to the other, while hauling a dead muffalo will take a year.

SpaceDrunk

I'd also like to see something like this. People flat out refusing to haul stuff in a survival situation is pretty stupid, especially in the immediate aftermath of the pod crash. I wouldn't have a problem if the pawn in question couldn't haul as much, say 50% of the normal load, with the mood debuffs that you suggested.

Kegereneku

I agree it would make it easier to deal than flat out "refusing to haul", as if it was some sort of medical impossibility.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !