Why Is Devilstrand Even Growable?

Started by userfredle, May 03, 2015, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

So i usually dont grow devilstand, and ive only ever grown it before alpha 8, i noticed with winter, its impossible to grow devilstrand even if you plant as soon as spring arrives.

I also tried the hydroponics thinking, theres no way power outages would affect devilstrand as i get solar flares atleast twice a year if not more, But sure enough.

So, what the hells the point? this stuff is impossible to grow unless your on a jungle map, and even if i might be able to get to a manually harvestable point (Which has not happened to me yet) the yield is so terribly low.

What do you guys think about this troll of a crop

skullywag

wall in a dirt patch set up some heaters, sun lamp. done.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Panzer

Works like a charm, but keep some wood ready for those pesky solar flares, you definitely want some campfires in there when it hits.

[attachment deleted due to age]

userfredle

Quote from: skullywag on May 03, 2015, 02:46:46 PM
wall in a dirt patch set up some heaters, sun lamp. done.

So its just super alpha - y and exploitable i gotcha, if this is the way tynan wants it he should really make it so solar flares dont outright kill crops, otherwise plain basic dirt green house wins

Kaballah

How is it an exploit to build walls and a roof and heaters, that's like saying constructing a bedroom is an exploit.

userfredle

Quote from: Kaballah on May 03, 2015, 03:41:44 PM
How is it an exploit to build walls and a roof and heaters, that's like saying constructing a bedroom is an exploit.

Its exploiting the alpha - ness, to avoid the alpha - ness if that makes any sense, i really feel like tynan doesnt want this system in place, having to research, save up metal, get a huge power supply just for % faster growing with huge downfalls and complications everywhere you look, doesnt seem to make much sense eh?

Also this dirt greenhouse system wouldnt work very well on a map without much dirt obviously. like where my greenhouse is, effectively making it once again impossible to grow devilstrand, unless of course you build and extremely long building along a 2 tile strand of gravel

Kaballah

Err no, it looks to me like this is exactly how it's designed to work?   :o

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: userfredle on May 03, 2015, 03:49:52 PM
Quote from: Kaballah on May 03, 2015, 03:41:44 PM

Its exploiting the alpha - ness, to avoid the alpha - ness if that makes any sense, i really feel like tynan doesnt want this system in place, having to research, save up metal, get a huge power supply just for % faster growing with huge downfalls and complications everywhere you look, doesnt seem to make much sense eh?

It's called understanding game mechanics.  if that doesn't make any sense then its on you :)

If you chose your base or site poorly you WILL have trouble and that is just part of this game.  Devilstrand is difficult to grow because the cloth it makes is supposed to be uber and awesome.  whether or not it actually is at this time, is a valid question lol.  I often ignore it because I get by just fine in hide clothing or just plain cloth.  With its really long grow cycle I can get a ton of herbal meds, hops or food in the same time frame.   Impossible? nope.   Difficult and time consuming? sure.  Clothing made from Devilstrand is quite good however.

Kaballah

Solution: play on ice sheet, where there is just no growable soil at all.   8)

rexx1888

ask yourself a simple question. If you had to actually buy the devilstrand seeds before planting, would you try growing them where you are. if the answer is yes, then by all means grow devilstrand. A greenhouse is a thing that exists for a reason in reality, an it makes sense to have the same thing in RW. If you wouldnt grow it when the seeds cost money, dont grow it.

simple.

I firmly believe farming and agriculture will probably get another pass during alpha like a whole lot of stuff, an as such just expect some weirdness till then :P

Martc

You can use greenhouse to grow food and you will have more soil available for devilstrand. And it is just RNG trolling, sometime you get solar flare multiple times in a year and sometime you have multiple years without solar flare. Maybe it is seed dependent, because I had exactly same situation on one map. But on another I have no problem to grow enough devilstrand on hydroponics.

b0rsuk

userfredle

Haha okay i get it, i chose my words wrong and im paying for it, but IMO hydroponics shouldnt have plants die immediately, or else, soil green house wins every time, you cant even grow corn in a hydroponics

Kaballah

Well except that it's vulnerable to mortar fire (if you don't rush out and kill the siegers)

userfredle

Quote from: Kaballah on May 04, 2015, 08:29:52 AM
Well except that it's vulnerable to mortar fire (if you don't rush out and kill the siegers)

Which way is more vulnerable? they both seem to be except your hydroponics would roast because of all 4 tiles on fire leading to a costly repair bill instead of just replanting