Fire too OP?

Started by wildeaboutoscar, May 04, 2015, 05:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildeaboutoscar

I like that the game is becoming more of a test of survival with the elements rather than just with crazy alien folk, but does anyone else think that fire is overpowered?

Like, it sweeps across the entire map and is really hard to stop. I like that it's there but when it happens it's like I can't really do anything else for a while.

Rahjital

Dunno, I have an all wooden colony and didn't lose too much to fire even when a siege with incendiary mortars attacked. You can always cut grass to make firebreaks and use grenades to blast the fire out, and if you wait long enough you'll always get rain to remove out of control fires.

rexx1888

i actually feel like its kinda pathetic atm. im playing in a forest. forests have fires every few years that burn them basically to the ground(its because they build up the fuel in them.. its actually part of a forests natural cycle)... in RW they barelly get bigger than my common room before the storyteller says "nope" an washes them away.

Maybe its just that i live in Aus, but id actually like fire to be as threatening in the game as it is in real life. Fire is deadly if you dont plan for it, an it kinda feels like RW is trivialising something that people in scary places face every day of summer(If youd like some real world examples, look up Ash Wednesday).

atm, fire isnt a threat or a risk, its a thing i barely think of. I dont even worry about it when sieges turn up with incendiary mortars... an im supposed to worry about it then :\

RickyMartini

If fire ignites at the right place and moment, it sure is a risk in RW.

I'd like the fire to make a distinction between trees/grass/walls etc. because at the moment it ignites everything it can. That means a fire spreads in grass as good as it spreads through the colonies walls.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 04, 2015, 07:01:56 AM
i actually feel like its kinda pathetic atm. im playing in a forest. forests have fires every few years that burn them basically to the ground(its because they build up the fuel in them.. its actually part of a forests natural cycle)... in RW they barelly get bigger than my common room before the storyteller says "nope" an washes them away.

Maybe its just that i live in Aus, but id actually like fire to be as threatening in the game as it is in real life. Fire is deadly if you dont plan for it, an it kinda feels like RW is trivialising something that people in scary places face every day of summer(If youd like some real world examples, look up Ash Wednesday).

atm, fire isnt a threat or a risk, its a thing i barely think of. I dont even worry about it when sieges turn up with incendiary mortars... an im supposed to worry about it then :\

I can never remember which was which, Ash Saturday and Ash Wednesday - anyway, I lived in one of the areas that was hit by the recent one. I lived in a relatively build up area and it still got within a few blocks from where I was living. Bush fires looks scary as shit. The sky blacken, but with a deep red glow behind the smoke, trees explode making it sounds like a war zone, you cant see more then a few meters in front of you, people are running everywhere, sirens wail in the back ground, people are piling shit onto their cars and hauling ass. IMO its as close as you can get to a combat zone without actually having people shooting at you.

In RW they are something that happens for a while, and then it rains. At most you have to send a few pawns out to make a fire break, but most of the time simply having everyone have firefighting at priority 1 and a logical home zone means that every now and again a pawn with run out and beat out the fire that's in you home zone and then it rains.

Also, I notice that most people don't use the cut plant order to make fire breaks (obviously you can just make permanent breaks ahead of time by building x2-3 wide wooden floors, but I find that a little gamey). Pawns can cut grass much faster then they can fight fires - simply boxing in the fire, or just boxing off the end that threatens you is more then enough to stop and fire in this game. I have made huge citys build entirely of wood, with no floors outside, and the most I've ever had to do to contain a fire in it is nothing - literally the pawns all converge on the fire and smash it out in seconds. I have planned to rip down buildings to stop the spread, but its never even come to that.

wildeaboutoscar

Stupid question, but firebreaks? Is that literally just having no grass there? Or do you build something out of stone or something?

Kaballah

rexx1888

a firebreak is a space that the fire cant cross. in some cases its a big trench dug as quick as possible, in others its just making sure trees dont overhang your house, but the premise is the same.

I dont necessarily want to have to drench everything in water and hide my colonists in a bathtub, but atm fire spreads slow, doesnt care what its burning, doesnt care about how hot or cold hte temperature around it is and just generally doesnt behave like fire. Id expect temperate and boreal forests at a minimum to have enough fuel on them to feed a quick super hot blaze that should strip a small to medium level in a day or two. instead, they barely spread and the storyteller puts them out two days later. its kinda silly.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: wildeaboutoscar on May 04, 2015, 08:26:53 AM

Stupid question, but firebreaks? Is that literally just having no grass there? Or do you build something out of stone or something?

A fire break (or rackhoe line named after the tool you use to do it by hand) is basically a break in the fuel of a fire. A obvious example would be a highway, or train line - a wide strip of non burnable stuff that is difficult for a fire to pass. What we are talking about is more like this

A path racked/cut into the brush down to mineral earth - the fire burns up to it, has nothing left to burn, and burns its self out.

But yeah, literally mean remove the grass so that there isn't something fore the fire to burn. Dirt doesn't burn. You can also achieve that same thing by putting down a x2 wide strip of any floor around your base - the fire wont pass it as it can only jump to adjacent tiles that have burnable material - but I find that kinda an exploit. I mean you can make the floor out of wood and that wont burn either.

GamerGuy

This may be hard to believe but what if I told you... fire is UP!
*Gasp*

Benny the Icepick

Quote from: GamerGuy on May 04, 2015, 12:35:26 PM
This may be hard to believe but what if I told you... fire is UP!
::looks up:: EEK!

amul

It's possible you're experiencing the same bug that I am. In previous versions, the dry storms that produced fires would eventually also turn to rainstorms which put the fires out after a bit. That's not happening this version.