Having trouble opening .rar file

Started by Rajahgold, May 08, 2015, 11:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajahgold

New guy here, long time lurker.
Some mods here are .rar files, not .zips files. My mac dosn't really like to open them, choosing OpenEmu or VLC.  Do I directly add these to my mod folder?

deadlydullahan

justarandomgeek

Not sure about on a mac, but for Windows/*nix, 7-zip will open anything: http://www.7-zip.org/

WinRar is cross-platform and Win32, Win64, Android, Linux, Linux x64, FreeBSD and Mac OS X.  Not to mention being the proper tool for rar files (as it is their container format).

7zip will open rar files (as will many [de]compressors) but it's always better to use the native tool.  And 7-zip doesn't open "anything," but it does have a long list of what it can handle.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

justarandomgeek

Last time I used WinRar (which was many years ago, admittedly), it was rather bloaty, and was only a trial for free, has this changed? That was my reason for switching to 7zip, and I've never bothered to look back since it hasn't failed to deal with anything I've thrown at it (which is not a short list...).

And I disagree with you: One tool that does everything is better than a couple dozen "native" tools, because it's easier to keep the system up to date!

soltysek

about nativ yas and no ther are some rars that 7z can't handle properly . WinRar work ok on Mac i self use it .

RawCode

winrar is not free application, 7zip is free

StorymasterQ

Quote from: RawCode on May 11, 2015, 11:39:29 AM
winrar is not free application, 7zip is free

Yes, but winrar doesn't care if you don't pay. I've been using it for years :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

harpo99999

I have been using the winrar 3.80 for several years now in windows, it still works

RawCode

this does not make it free and opensource application.

harpo99999

correct, the license is NOT opensource but a commercial, and the later versions are trial/payware, but older version(s) do not enforce the trial period unlike the later versions so can be used without paying