Overanalyzing the slave trade

Started by amul, May 06, 2015, 12:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amul

For the life of me, I can't figure out how the slave traders determine the prices of their goods. When you examine the stats for a character, and select Market Price, it says that humans have a base value, and then the individual gets a markup based on their quality. Fair enough, but what determines their quality?

I've got four prisoners right now and the slavers brought two pawns to sell. The higher costing one has several injuries, and is both slothful and abrasive! His global work speed is 69% and not one of his effective percentages is above 100%, though he does have a combat skill at 11 and medicine at 13.

So I guess the final price is based on skill level and not actual work effectiveness? Are combat skills weighted more heavily than other skills?

A more complex system of price valuation would be interesting. One that takes into account injuries and traits.

Is it possible to mod that myself? I've been looking for a small mod project to start on.

Ketzal

I am assuming that there is also a random component to this.  I once had two slave traders come at the same time and my prisoners were different prices (10%) between the two traders.

Omenpapa

Quote from: Ketzal on May 06, 2015, 10:04:13 AM
I am assuming that there is also a random component to this.  I once had two slave traders come at the same time and my prisoners were different prices (10%) between the two traders.

It would make sense, if different slave traders would price the same guy differently, since the traders might have different social/trading skills or simply have a different preference/need. Let's say 1 of the slave traders have a contract to get some slaves to supply the front line of an army ^^ Obviously he wont care about ppl's research skill for example when he need soldiers.

or u know, the more likely version is just that it's random.. :)

Ketzal

Rahjital

Different traders do have different prices. I remember having two traders carrying bionic eyes, one had them for 1500 and the other for 1350.

I have no idea what make a slave more expensive than others. I have seen a frail prisoner with bad back and cataract, no burning passion and average skills sold for 2000 silver while another, healthy one with two burning passions and only slightly lower skills for 1650. Honestly slaves are only useful if you are a rich colony that got gutted by a raid, otherwise you are better off saving the money and recruiting raiders.

amul

Slaver ships were admittedly a lot more useful before the changes that were made in...A8? When the various traders started discriminating about the various types of merchandise they will take in trade.

Now, however, I find it an enjoyable mid-game challenge to try and horse wrangle with the other ships to keep enough silver in my stores to buy a slave. How quickly can I take someone off the three major priorities and set them to generating trade goods? Can I safely sell off my stockpile of meals? Do I sell all this plassteel now to the bulk trader, or do I fashion it into crap longswords and hope a combat supplier comes by before the next slave ship?

I see a lot of Let's Play videos where people set up ample reserves of everything. I tend to play it much closer to the low edge. Reminding myself to save up for a slave helps me avoid that bad habit.