Equipment Rack - wtf?

Started by amul, May 06, 2015, 02:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amul

I've only just now discovered that equipment racks hold the same number of items as spaces it takes up.

Is *anyone* using these?

Ketzal

I've seen people using them to keep high quality weapons and armor in a central location for use by new colonists.  On the ground it would also take the same space.

RemingtonRyder

Equipment racks - beautifying the colony for all your military type colonists. :)

Latta

Racks will also prevent deterioration even if it's outside.

userfredle

Quote from: Latta on May 06, 2015, 08:01:19 PM

Nice pro tip bro i will keep this in mind

Hoshizora

You can right-click an empty rack space to deposit your weapon there. This can be used to organize your armory. You can shift all the crummy weapons to the back and keep the nice ones easily accessible for your new recruits.

Not quite as useful anymore with the quality metric added to stockpiles.

Toggle

I think it's useful just because it's easier to create multiple racks then make multiple stockpiles and editing them to each hold weapons.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

keylocke

i only used these as part of my killbox obstacle course in the earlier alphas, but ever since raiders can just climb through most obstacles now, i don't see much point to it.

-if i wanted beauty, i'd build statues instead.
-i just keep an internal stockpile beacon near a central location (near my killbox)

i think the only way i'd find equipment racks as useful for me is if it would have an inventory system that would allow storage of more items.

Cimm0

"Racks will also prevent deterioration even if it's outside."

Whoa. That was useful, I wish it was mentioned in the description too.

I have a killbox with compartments that uses turret explosions as the killing tool, acting as the base exit at the same time. Usually I've made a tiny room that holds rocket launchers near each exit so my dudes can grab them and blow people up without traveling to the main armory.

But now that you said it, I'm just going to put racks near the base exit. Thanks.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Latta on May 06, 2015, 08:01:19 PM

Would boobs prevent deterioration? Probably need to be exposed...
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

skullywag

Yeah racks need some love (fnar) as do all containers. Storing stuff on floors just isnt civil.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

XelNigma

The few times Iv tried to use racks I didnt like them.
As far as I can tell they serve no function.  When I used the mod that adds crafting tools I would have a rack in the crafting room and change out my gun with the tool in peace time. then change back when im under attack. But the problem was that I cant configure each slot independently so my other colonist would put a gun in each slot, leaving no room for the tool.  So I ended up just using 1x1 stock piles.

In the end the biggest problem is that it still only houses one item for the squares it takes up.  What we need is a weapon rack that takes up 1x1 square yet holds 2,3 or 4 weapons.
A refrigerated severing table is also needed, Its not good that my colonists have to go into the walk in freezer just to get a meal... and eat it frozen...
We also need shelves, barrels, and creates for storing large amounts of materials in a single location.
Iv used a few mods that try to add things like chests that allow stacking of more items in a single location, buts its either not done very well or game just cant handle it.  As in colonist ignore the items and act like I dont have any despite have several hundred in a chest.

Toggle

Quote from: XelNigma on May 10, 2015, 02:06:39 AM
As far as I can tell they serve no function.

1. They prevent deterioration even without a roof. 2. They're specific locations for weapons over 50 stockpiles for specific weapons.

I do think they should hold 4 weapons total, 2 for each square at least, to help better counter the cost of them.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

userfredle

For equipment racks to not be a hilarious waste of time, metal, and micromanagement, unless under super specific circumstances, would be if you could edit all equipment racks at once, have fun going through them all selecting the weapons you do and dont want

Frankenbeasley

I would like equipment racks a lot more if I could also store the following: Kevlar Helmets, Power Armour Helmets, Military Helmets, Armour Vests, Power Armour, Personal Shields. To my mind, all those items are more equipment than apparel. I would also like to see them, or something like them, for storing Artillery Shells, it always seems a bit odd to me to have them just lying around.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams