Murder?

Started by TitaniumTurtle, May 06, 2015, 07:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TitaniumTurtle

So I was playing my largest colony (19 colonists, pitiful I know) and I heard the sound of gunfire off screen. I couldnt find it, but when it stops I get a notification that someone died from missing body part. It took me a while to find the body because he died in the middle of my junk pile, but his health panel said he had multiple charge rifle wounds and his brain was destroyed. I would have thought maybe he had committed suicide or something since this guy seems to be the most often depressed of all my colonists, but he doesnt have a charge rifle. Did someone murder him? If so, why didnt the game say he was murdered? Is that a part of the game? because I would actually be really excited if it is.

Negocromn

He hid that chargerifle under a rock when you weren't looking. Then when he finally broke down some days later he offed himself... but as you can't control where the bullets are going to hit he took 2 minutes and 30 rounds till a bullet finally found its way to his brain.

Johkmil

It was probably the Rimghost, the psychic echo of all the 99 difficulty prisoners who have ever been locked up in dark, cramped places until they broke and went on a rampage, only to be gunned down and nursed back to life time and time again. Now it haunts the world, looking for lone colonists to murder with its charge rifle. Be it tundra, desert or ice sheet - no place is safe from the Rimghost.

userfredle

Pretty awesome thread

Cimm0

Someone shot him. Someone very close to him.

I once testified a situation where a colonist who had earlier gone through a psychotic break was SHOT AND KILLED by all the other colonists when I drafted them all and they were waiting for enemies in a ball formation.

What's weird is that they did this suddenly, after the group had already stopped. No psychotic episodes, no nothing, the guy did not turn hostile or anything. Just all blue, healthy characters under my control.

(it's a bug of some kind, making a friendly colonist appear hostile to others without actually turning red or losing player control.)

Cimm0

Quote from: Cimm0 on May 07, 2015, 01:05:47 AM

I once testified a situation where a colonist who had earlier gone through a psychotic break was SHOT AND KILLED by all the other colonists when I drafted them all and they were waiting for enemies in a ball formation.

What's weird is that they did this suddenly, after the group had already stopped. No psychotic episodes, no nothing, the guy did not turn hostile or anything. Just all blue, healthy characters under my control.

(it's a bug of some kind, making a friendly colonist appear hostile to others without actually turning red or losing player control.)

Adding to this, it wasn't even the first time I saw it happen.

It usually includes someone who has been imprisoned and/or had a mental breakdown.

There's also the weird fact that colonists who are not drafted start firing at them - they usually don't use their weapons unless they are hunting.

RickyMartini

Serious reply, your colonist probably ended up in a crossfire while someone was hunting. It happens, but very rarely. You can check what exactly killed him, he probably got his liver shot out from a high caliber rifle. I guess only the sniper rifle can do that. ;)

TitaniumTurtle

It said his cause of death was missing organ, and the only thing related to that in his health menu was that his brain had been destroyed. I loaded a previous save because I kind of needed that guy, but looking back at it I think he did get caught in a crossfire. When I loaded the other save I had a squirrel that had somehow made it inside my base marked to be hunted. I would have been really excited though if colonists could murder eachother though. The would add a nice little layer of realism. I also wish that they would pay more attention to where they are shooting, because crossfire issues are really starting to be a pain.

TLHeart

Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on May 07, 2015, 02:55:15 PM
It said his cause of death was missing organ, and the only thing related to that in his health menu was that his brain had been destroyed. I loaded a previous save because I kind of needed that guy, but looking back at it I think he did get caught in a crossfire. When I loaded the other save I had a squirrel that had somehow made it inside my base marked to be hunted. I would have been really excited though if colonists could murder eachother though. The would add a nice little layer of realism. I also wish that they would pay more attention to where they are shooting, because crossfire issues are really starting to be a pain.

oh but they do murder, had my crew take out doug, the lazy pessimist during a battle with tribals... only injury on my side, was to doug, brain destroyed, right arm shot off, and gun shot to the torso... and tribals don't have guns.

Doug was that wanderer joins dude, or he would have never been part of my colony anyway.

I personally like the crossfire issues. A hunter that is sighted in on an animal will NEVER see a person walk into the line of fire. It is not the hunter at fault, but the IDIOT who walks into the kill zone. 

TitaniumTurtle

Quote from: TLHeart on May 07, 2015, 03:04:30 PM
I personally like the crossfire issues. A hunter that is sighted in on an animal will NEVER see a person walk into the line of fire. It is not the hunter at fault, but the IDIOT who walks into the kill zone.

Except a lot of times they start shooting after the other colonist is always there. They are obviously able to avoid shooting eachother when they are right next to eachother, and they stop shooting when targets duck behind walls. why not just make it so they stop shooting if an ally is within a certain distance of the target. Or not even distance, like the cone of view around the target. If the colonist or the target moves, then they start shooting again.

Jimyoda

Quote from: Cimm0 on May 07, 2015, 01:05:47 AM

I also have a scenario like that. Colonist Yuri had a mental break and recovered. Since then whenever I draft colonist Lance he shoots at Yuri. Yuri never tries to attack Lance. Undraft Lance and he's cool and walks right past Yuri to do his work. Colonist Poppy has no issues with the other two. I noticed that Yuri and Poppy say 'male colonist of Colony' and 'female colonist of Colony' and Lance (the aggressor) says 'male villager of Colony'. I should probably post up the save file with a bug report.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

REMworlder

QuoteSerious reply, your colonist probably ended up in a crossfire while someone was hunting.

Crossfire between visitor groups that hate each other is possible too. That's always fun to see!

Turps

I like the friendly fire chance in the game, it shakes thing up a bit during peace time like "WOOT! who just died and fkn why!!! awe man that's fkn balls!" and during a battle if you send a brawler forward get ur shooters to aim at him and they will proceed to hit everything but him thus mowing down the raiders flawlessly. lols well not quite

I think we need input from Harry Whittington (the guy Dick Cheney shot) for this thread to know what its actually like to receive friendly fire and what level of pain should the shooter get in return?
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

Listy

Quote from: REMworlder on May 07, 2015, 10:13:00 PM
Crossfire between visitor groups that hate each other is possible too. That's always fun to see!

Aye I love that. Trouble is most colonies are bestest friends with everyone else, other than the hostile Tribal and Pirate faction.

I'd love to see more faction options, or factions changing over time.

keylocke

did someone say.. murder?! dundundunnn!!!  (the quadriplegic butler did it!) ;D

on a sidenote, i think there should be a clickable notification alert for deaths and permanent injuries. since people often "accidentally" die when the players ain't paying much attention so it would be cool to have this alert notice that says : colonist X died from Y reasons at Z date.

clicking the alert will take you to the location. etc..