[A17] Vegetable Garden [8/22/17]

Started by dismar, May 07, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismar

Hey buddy, Ill be working on my mods coding tomorrow and I'll send you a link to try and fix the issue for you.

Canute

Don't you think the corn-polenta-grilled polenta line is a bit overpowered ?
With 25 corn you made 16 grilled polenta.
From 25 x 0,05 nut to 16 x 0.9 nut.
Yes cooking can increase the nut. of some food, but not allways and not in these range.
Not to speak about the joy and positiv side effects.

Basicly the whole mod is a kind of cheating, i can understand why it is so popular. It is very helpful at extreme biomes ! :-)
Not to speak about the meal-stacking.

But i suggest to keep a few rules. When you cook meals from raw food, you can gain 1.1x nut of the raw food.
Cooking meals from other meals you shouldn't get any nut. bonus just more joy and/or better side effect. You can even loose nut.

You can get more then enough nut. from raw food because of your better vegetables you can grow.

dismar

Your math is strong. But what value do you put on the work and steps to make said items?

You look at the start ans end to the process but not the fact of number of steps and work amount to get to a finished product.

There has to be some reward for the amount of work too.

Tho the numbers do seem a bit high. Like 8 should be the final product number.
<rant>
As for calling it cheaty i'd say "under tested with little feed back from people". There is no team who builds this mod. Just me after working my 60+ hours a work :) Most games have tons of  ppl who work on the mod. Artists, tests, programmers, etc.

I hear a least once a week about how my mod is cheaty or the art sucks. But rarely "help" Nothing in the mod is permanent. Value can easily be changed.

</rant>

Canute

When 20 squares of corn on garden soil are enough to keep 9 pawns and 3 artic wolfs(human meat + polenta ->kibble) well feed, and the pawns still eat a fine meal, do you realy think this is balanced ?

Yes, you need to invest work to create meal, instead to eat well tasty berries.
But you get
- fine or larvish meals.
- bonus effects you don't get from vanilia meals.
- you get more nut. out of the raw resources.

And about the worl you speak. 1 cook do all the work, and i don't even use the kitchen speed enhancer.
2 full stacks of grilled polenta (regular) and pot of stews (if wounded), and remaining time he grill steaks from human/insect meat to sell on trader.
Don't forget you do mass production of you meals, mosttimes the worktime is the same or less then the pawn need to haul the resources even when they are just next room.

I don't say you mod is bad, i realy like and enjoy it. It force me to grow different plants to create cheeseburger and pizza.
BUT compared to regular fine meals i would do without your mod i need alot less room to grow plants, less room to store meals.
1 large sunlamp field can easyly support 14-16 pawns for pizza (meat comes from hunting) and herbal medicone.

You don't should change your mod, just adjust the values.
Why do you get 4 grilled polenta out of 1 polenta ? And a single grilled one got twice that much nut. then the regular one. Sorry this is cheating ! :-)
A realistic line would be you just made 2 polenta out of the cornmeal, and just 2 grilled polenta out of a regular polenta.
Then you get from 25 corn (1.25 nut.) 2 grilled polenta (1.8 nut.) and you should adjust the nut. from polenta set to 0.8 with the awful meal mood. The nut. from a meal can't just double just because you grill it, the taste may change but no the nut. :-)

But thats just my opinion, think about it, and let discuss the others about it.

dismar

I like your opinions. As I have stated I haven't had time to play test much in 15. I count of the people to feed back and let me know about balance. Polenta is a very new item and no one has said any thing yet.

So you can post in here or msg me any things you see that could be changed. Many plant and soil changes come from the ppl like u.

One other note. I have changed all stock sizes up. Because honestly, you can build a space ship to leave the planet but can't make shelves or cabinet to store things? Lol

Oh I was typing on my phone and missed this :
QuoteWhen 20 squares of corn on garden soil are enough to keep 9 pawns and 3 arctic wolfs(human meat + polenta ->kibble) well feed, and the pawns still eat a fine meal, do you really think this is balanced ?
No I don't that's why in 5.1 Garden soil was lower a bit, requires research, and now take a fertilizer to upgrade the soil. But I do believe that after all that is done it should be easier to maintain a colony. Moving up in tech should make thing easier. Don't you think?

dismar

Vegetable Garden 5.1a early release.
Download 5.1a

Buncha Changes in this update. Might not be save game safe! Install in save games at your own risk.

- 10/25
- small balance to recipes

10/22
- Art for trees updated and randomized. leafless in cold weather.
- parent defs have been given unique names to avoid future mod conflicts.
- non-meal foods def updated.

10/20/16
- Drug limits set ( caffeine and tobacco )
- cheese is food again
- cheeseburgers can be made again

10/16/16
- small recipe patch pushed on steam.

10/15/16
-Steam release of 5.0 and 5.1

10/10/16
- spell checks in items.
- small bug fixes.

OnlyMarvellous

Thanks for this fantastic mod, Dismar. I've gone through your RecipeDefs and made a few spelling corrections/changes to a lot of the entries and I was wondering if I could post it here for others to use as well. Everything I did was cosmetic and won't change the way your mod functions.

A few of examples:

I changed bills from "Ground _____" to "Grind _____"; ground being an adjective and grind being a verb. You grind something, and it is then ground.
I also changed all instances of "leafs" to "leaves". Leafs is (apparently) considered correct these days, but I have always known them to be "leaves" and not "leafs".
I changed the names of the bulk recipes, for example; "Make Lavish Meals (4)" was changed to "Make four lavish meals".
Some spelling or grammatical corrections and alterations were also made. Removing/adding capital letters where necessary.

I can't list every single change I made, but they were all along those lines. Again, no values were altered. Some other people may find that my changes make things a bit neater or nicer to read, but I won't post the edited files here without your permission. If you allow it, I will try to get them posted here as soon as possible.

EDIT: I should mention, I did this on your latest 5.1a release.
Run away!

dismar

Quote from: OnlyMarvellous on October 26, 2016, 03:18:05 AM
Thanks for this fantastic mod, Dismar. I've gone through your RecipeDefs and made a few spelling corrections/changes to a lot of the entries and I was wondering if I could post it here for others to use as well. Everything I did was cosmetic and won't change the way your mod functions.

A few of examples:

I changed bills from "Ground _____" to "Grind _____"; ground being an adjective and grind being a verb. You grind something, and it is then ground.
I also changed all instances of "leafs" to "leaves". Leafs is (apparently) considered correct these days, but I have always known them to be "leaves" and not "leafs".
I changed the names of the bulk recipes, for example; "Make Lavish Meals (4)" was changed to "Make four lavish meals".
Some spelling or grammatical corrections and alterations were also made. Removing/adding capital letters where necessary.

I can't list every single change I made, but they were all along those lines. Again, no values were altered. Some other people may find that my changes make things a bit neater or nicer to read, but I won't post the edited files here without your permission. If you allow it, I will try to get them posted here as soon as possible.

EDIT: I should mention, I did this on your latest 5.1a release.

crap thought you posted it! lol you can send it to me and i'll add it to the mod! full credit to you! Thanks you sometimes after coding for hours i'm like yea! thats how to spell that! lol

h5bw

sorry for poor english but you can understand what I wanna say
I write this text for someone stuck in a problem about 'Compatibility with Jecrell's Tobacco and Cigarettes V1.2'  just like me
When you using both mod, you probably cannot see Jecrell's Tobacco in growing zone menu, Only VG Tobacco there
so you can't get Tobacco leaves exept trader's offer
Reason why this happen is those mod sharing the name 'Tobacco Plant'
I tried to solve this by changing load order but didn't work

the way I solve problem is
1.Open 'Jecrell_Plants_Cultivated_Farm.xml' in
Mods\Jecrell - Tobacco & Cigarettes V1.2\Defs\ThingDefs_Plants

2.change defName (PlantTobacco) to (blahblah) you want

exp
<defName>PlantTobacco@</defName>
    <label>tobacco plant@</label>

then growing zone menu got PlantTobacco@(Jecrell's Tobacco) and PlantTobacco(VG)
It just a minor problem you might face but I hope this help someone even newest than me

dismar

Quote from: h5bw on October 27, 2016, 04:17:10 AM
sorry for poor english but you can understand what I wanna say
I write this text for someone stuck in a problem about 'Compatibility with Jecrell's Tobacco and Cigarettes V1.2'  just like me
When you using both mod, you probably cannot see Jecrell's Tobacco in growing zone menu, Only VG Tobacco there
so you can't get Tobacco leaves exept trader's offer
Reason why this happen is those mod sharing the name 'Tobacco Plant'
I tried to solve this by changing load order but didn't work

the way I solve problem is
1.Open 'Jecrell_Plants_Cultivated_Farm.xml' in
Mods\Jecrell - Tobacco & Cigarettes V1.2\Defs\ThingDefs_Plants

2.change defName (PlantTobacco) to (blahblah) you want

exp
<defName>PlantTobacco@</defName>
    <label>tobacco plant@</label>

then growing zone menu got PlantTobacco@(Jecrell's Tobacco) and PlantTobacco(VG)
It just a minor problem you might face but I hope this help someone even newest than me

Yes all you have to do is rename the def name and change the label to something unique.

I can't change mine or it will break ever copy of the game release on steam.

kaptain_kavern

Nicely done h5bw. And as a non English natural speaker, you were clear and precise.

@dismar : IMHO, as you have the privilege to be the author/maintainer of the biggest / more used plants mod, it is more to the other little ones to adapt and use other defnames. I completely understand the problem of having to doing this on an on going used version ;-)

Happened to me so now I will always prefixed my defname like VG_Coffee in this case. BTW I will soon start try to make a compatibility patch for "CK - Animal and Plants Pack" and VegGarden so you may got pm, bud ;-)

Nice changes in last version I saw, congratz

Oragepoilu

Hello,

first of all, thx for the mod mate, I do enjoy it quite a lot (even if as a caveman it's a bit hard to grow stuff, it's doable ^^)

A have a few thing I want to talk about :

-I saw in the description that it should have a neutro-something recipe from the neutro flower plant. (Sorry, don't have the name off my mind ...) I triedto look into the recipe def for the NeutroPetals, but found nothing. So I added manually a new recipe for it, but I wonder why it's in the description if the last version do not have it ? Or it's somewhere else hidden ?

-Tofu is both plant & meat when you need to cook. It's annoying when cooking lavish meal (or whatever else that need both), because they ignore my corn and use tofu for the plant part, while it's way more time consuming to use tofu instead of corn. If I disable todu in the plant section of the recipe in game (bill), it can't be used as meat.
So i removed the tag plant on the tofu, but well...

dismar

Quote from: Oragepoilu on October 29, 2016, 08:48:31 AM

-I saw in the description that it should have a neutro-something recipe from the neutro flower plant. (Sorry, don't have the name off my mind ...) I triedto look into the recipe def for the NeutroPetals, but found nothing. So I added manually a new recipe for it, but I wonder why it's in the description if the last version do not have it ? Or it's somewhere else hidden ?

-Tofu is both plant & meat when you need to cook. It's annoying when cooking lavish meal (or whatever else that need both), because they ignore my corn and use tofu for the plant part, while it's way more time consuming to use tofu instead of corn. If I disable todu in the plant section of the recipe in game (bill), it can't be used as meat.
So i removed the tag plant on the tofu, but well...

Hi, NeutroPetals can be turned into Neutroamine at the drug lab, but only after Medicine Production is reearched. The recipe is in the def for Neutroamine thats why you can't find it. Simple recipes can be baked into items directly.

So i'll put some more thought into the tofu thing ^^

Oragepoilu

@dismar

Thx for the reply,  I did another medicine tech (because of others mods) and it was why I wasn't able to find the craft in game. now it's all good :3

sadly none of my crafter are good at medicine, so I will need to wait a bit.

Canute

I got a similar at the beginning.
I could plant the neuro plants, but don't got a recipe for the neuroanime, or got the worng one from EPOE(AMC).

Maybe you should enable the plant with the Medicine research, rather then Agriculture.