Smooth walls mod.

Started by foley, April 14, 2015, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foley

So.. New guy here and made a small mod as a learning thingy.. just thought i'd share it and get some feedback.

It adds a new order, beside the "Smooth floor" order and allows you to designate an area to convert the rough stonewalls to smooth stone.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Matthiasagreen

Can you post this under releases using the mod release format? I think more people can appreciate and use it if it is found there.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Kasdar

what exactly does this change?

SlimeCrusher

Quote from: Kasdar on April 14, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
Quote from: foley on April 14, 2015, 04:01:47 PM
It adds a new order, beside the "Smooth floor" order and allows you to designate an area to convert the rough stonewalls to smooth stone.
... It gives you the ability to "smooth" walls, like smoothing floors of rock.

Kasdar

Quote from: SlimeCrusher on April 15, 2015, 05:15:23 PM
Quote from: Kasdar on April 14, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
Quote from: foley on April 14, 2015, 04:01:47 PM
... It gives you the ability to "smooth" walls, like smoothing floors of rock.

I guess I should have asked what benefit does having smooth walls provide?

Matthiasagreen

I haven't used this mod, so this is just a guess, but I imagine it is not only aesthetically pleasing to the player, but provides a nicer environment for the colonist, increasing overall beauty. I could be wrong.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

After looking at the mod, it's a means of quickly converting an rock wall / metal deposit into the wall of the same type.

ie:  granite rock -> granite blocks wall

It's quite the time save although it does end up consuming more materials than you would get from mining then building as you don't get the difference back.  An update to address this and foley should probably update the OP to give more info or make a proper sub-forum topic for this.

ie:  6 steel to build a wall, 35 steel normally dropped, 29 steel lost to smoothing.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: 1000101 on April 25, 2015, 06:02:09 PM
After looking at the mod, it's a means of quickly converting an rock wall / metal deposit into the wall of the same type.

ie:  granite rock -> granite blocks wall

It's quite the time save although it does end up consuming more materials than you would get from mining then building as you don't get the difference back.  An update to address this and foley should probably update the OP to give more info or make a proper sub-forum topic for this.

ie:  6 steel to build a wall, 35 steel normally dropped, 29 steel lost to smoothing.

Ah but the only way to make stone walls is by chunks, that aren't a guaranteed drop per tile.
So perhaps it's even cheaper, on average, to smooth them with this mod than to mine the walls and hope for chunks to fall down, to convert those to blocks.

I'ma need to try this out though! Sounds sweet! I hope that I can then build power conduits into these walls?
If this is a released mod you should put it in the [Released] subforum. :)

harpo99999

is this 'mod' for a9 or a10?
the release date of the mod is from just before a10's release

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: harpo99999 on May 06, 2015, 09:13:42 AM
is this 'mod' for a9 or a10?
the release date of the mod is from just before a10's release

Oh shit.
I completely forgot to check the date on the last post before making a reply. I totally necro'd this thread! :D

I'd think it would be compatible, it doesn't change anything that drastically changed from A9 to A10, does it?

harpo99999

I would not call a couple of weeks a major necro(at least by sins of a solar empire standards(a major necro there is 1 or more YEARS since last post and an EPIC necro is into the previous decade)), but the mod is in a time confusing period of just before the next alpha release, but the mod creator might have been working in the testing group, so might have intended it as an early release

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: harpo99999 on May 06, 2015, 09:30:21 AM
I would not call a couple of weeks a major necro(at least by sins of a solar empire standards(a major necro there is 1 or more YEARS since last post and an EPIC necro is into the previous decade)), but the mod is in a time confusing period of just before the next alpha release, but the mod creator might have been working in the testing group, so might have intended it as an early release
I swore I read '2014'. :/

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Bucketsmith on May 06, 2015, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: harpo99999 on May 06, 2015, 09:30:21 AM
I swore I read '2014'. :/

To be fair, it does say April 14 (though it ends in 2015) ;)

Master Bucketsmith

I was excited! So I might have made a brainfart and misaligned the characters my eyes read. XD

RickyMartini

This one seemed like a nice idea, but it doesn't work for a10