Squirrel skeletons, squirrel skeletons everywhere.

Started by Toggle, May 09, 2015, 04:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toggle

Anyone else notice how when your hunters go out and hunt with guns, they usually end up missing a lot of course. And those missed shots usually hit the other animals. Then, the other animals go unconscious, and die, usually without permission for anyone to haul the body. So I'll try to hunt a herd of muffalo, one person will inaccurate try to shoot one down, and well I'm distracted I end up getting only one muffalo body with the 6 others dead from the inaccurate shots, rotting away without the option to be hauled. This also ends up happening a lot with the small animals littering the map, mainly squirrels. There are tens of squirrel corpses covering my map.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Panzer

Animals killed in a homezone are not forbidden when they die, you could set your current hunting grounds to homezone. Of course that ll mean your cleaner might clean somewhere in the wilderness ... :D

Rahjital

It pays to occassionally check whether there are no dead animals around and unforbid them. Often the hunter will just wound them and they'll die from blood loss or infection after a few days. It's quite a shame when this happens to muffalos, lots of meat and leather wasted.

KillTyrant

I always wonder why bones dont breakdown after awhile. Everything else seems to.

userfredle

I had no idea bones NEVER disapeared, this is just as huge of a flaw as the mass grave system in the early alphas, the map isnt infinite its 250x250 standard, that space is gonna be filled very quickly once endgame and midgame contnet gets added and we see colonys going even further than they do now.

Im sure this will be changed once tynan spots this thread, im thinking it should take 2 years for them to totally disappear, would be cool if they decayed away piece by piece instead of disappearing

Adamiks

You can always burn animals corpses in crematorium, but just stop hunting for a while (if you don't wanna waste a lot of fresh meat).

TLHeart

Quote from: KillTyrant on May 10, 2015, 01:56:26 AM
I always wonder why bones dont breakdown after awhile. Everything else seems to.

bones last for decades, we are only on the planet for a few years. They do slowly breakdown, just look at the degradation stat. Set up a bill on or crematorium, to burn animals corpses with the  quality slider set to 0 to 98 and all the bones will be burned.

Boomrats work differently since the fire from their death causes quality loss, and if you have the cremation station set up to burn animals like above, the boomrats will be burned instead of butchered.

Toggle

It would be interesting if you could say the animals and humans evolved over those 3,000 years, evolved enough to just slightly change their bones so that they decay much faster, such as in some months after their death. Or at least let us harvest bones to use them as something at least.

Adamiks

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 10, 2015, 03:11:53 PM
It would be interesting if you could say the animals and humans evolved over those 3,000 years, evolved enough to just slightly change their bones so that they decay much faster, such as in some months after their death. Or at least let us harvest bones to use them as something at least.

Hmmm.... Maybe for arrows (btw first we need arrows! :D)? Or clubs etc? Or for creating simple prosthetics (i mean more simple than simple prosthetics)?

Toggle

Yeah possibly. Like using the bones as a resource like wood or steel for creating weapons, I'd imagine clubbing people to death would be pretty metal with their own allies bones. You'd probably want a -2 or something negative though if they were wielding bone weapons, is their a negative for human skin clothing? If not, then nah for bones. But yeah, material would be enough of a use for them. If used as a material for things, they would probably have the bonus of decaying incredibly slowly, but be a bit less useful then wood. And like actual crematoriums, they would burn the body but not the bones, which could be used as material. Now the only thought is the usage. Like, how many bones from the bodies and animals, what would be how they're carried in. I guess like wood they'd just be "Bones", and you'd get a certain amount of bodies. Maybe have the x20 effect if used for materials. So squirrels would give say 5 bones, humans 30, muffalo's 50, stuff like that.

Ketzal

As far as I know, bones can be cremated.  You just have to configure your crematorium to allow animal corpses.

Murdo

I use hunting to increase shooting stats, since they often end up firing wildly at the vegetation for hours, even when standing a few meters away from an incapacitated animal (literally hours). If the goal is actually meat and leather, I find a periodic "hunting trip" with a group of draftees is more efficient. No friendly fire, no corpses forgotten and left to rot, no characters wandering the wasteland when a raid begins... just plan the trip in between harvests, and your haulers should have the corpses in a day or two.