Fire linked to rain?

Started by deadwillrise, November 29, 2013, 11:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadwillrise

About 5 min ago I was playing and just screwing around with Rim World and I thought it would be fun to set some grass on fire with Molotov Cocktails. I went and drafted 2 colonist and got them to throw molotovs all over the grass, but when I reached a nummber of fire places (fires on grass) it automatically started to rain and rain and rain. Untill I made the colonist stop throwing molotovs. I tested this a couple of times and it seemd like there is an amount of fire to be needed to make it rain. Is this possible? Or was it just an extreme amount of coincidence?

Rhok

i think its more about performance rather than a design choice.... fire causes lag... until the game is optimized... its a simple solution

ShadowDragon8685

If you just want to destroy the grass, there's a simple way.

Set "Grass Cutting" to priority 1 for your colonists and wall off large cells of the grassy areas. It doesn't have to roof it in, nor does it have to be a complete wall-off, you can leave holes in it, it just needs to largely fence an area in. Then have your colonists cut all the vegetation within a cell. You may need to continually designate new cutting, because poverty grass grows really, really fast.

Once it's been cut, it won't grow back, because growing things spread from other growing things, much like fire does. You can do this, for instance, to annihilate all the poverty grass and selectively leave agave and raspberries (or just agave, which squirrels, boomrats and muffalo will not eat; not sure about the raspberries, though I think they leave it alone, too, but I know raspberries block pathing,) alone, allowing them to spread.

I've used this trick to create a strategic agave reserve within my base. Basically the same principle as behind the guy who uses only agave to feed everyone, except I just let it grow naturally and use it as emergency rations when solar flares hit.
Raiders must die!

deadwillrise

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 29, 2013, 02:02:38 PM
If you just want to destroy the grass, there's a simple way.

Set "Grass Cutting" to priority 1 for your colonists and wall off large cells of the grassy areas. It doesn't have to roof it in, nor does it have to be a complete wall-off, you can leave holes in it, it just needs to largely fence an area in. Then have your colonists cut all the vegetation within a cell. You may need to continually designate new cutting, because poverty grass grows really, really fast.

Once it's been cut, it won't grow back, because growing things spread from other growing things, much like fire does. You can do this, for instance, to annihilate all the poverty grass and selectively leave agave and raspberries (or just agave, which squirrels, boomrats and muffalo will not eat; not sure about the raspberries, though I think they leave it alone, too, but I know raspberries block pathing,) alone, allowing them to spread.

I've used this trick to create a strategic agave reserve within my base. Basically the same principle as behind the guy who uses only agave to feed everyone, except I just let it grow naturally and use it as emergency rations when solar flares hit.
Yea I know that I was just screwing around, but thanks anyway.

Quote from: Rhok on November 29, 2013, 01:31:37 PM
i think its more about performance rather than a design choice.... fire causes lag... until the game is optimized... its a simple solution
That explains allot, TY