Danger zone or Danger ahead "free signs".

Started by Adamiks, May 10, 2015, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

I was wondering why nobody created "danger zones". So many fucking times my colonists just want to pick up some wood logs next to the group of raiders/mechanoids (worse). "Hey Jon, look! Some squirrel corpses! I'm gonna pick it up! Maybe this mechanoids are friendly!" *picking up squirrel corpse and then getting fucked in the ass by the Scyther*

IQ of people from the future is VERY low.

Sorry for the language (for my bad English and for this scyther) but my colonist almost die like one hour ago because he want to pick up squirell corpse -_-

TLHeart

well you told him to go pick up that corpse. just blindly doing what they are told.

Adamiks

No, i didn't tell him. I just forget about prohibiting every item in the "danger zone".... This squirrels are so small..... And colonists have so small brain...

TLHeart

at some time you told him to pick up that squirrel, they don't do anything without you first allowing it to be done.

Johnny Masters

Yes, but animals move and situations change instantly with events. Plus sometimes there's information overload, specially on larger maps. And while deep down you can pin everything down to the player, the game can and should provide steps and measures to assist you (a.k.a.: improve gameplay). Unless of course it's an intended feature, which in this case i doubt it is so. 

Either way, danger zones are quite often requested so i guess its a matter of time or another better way to handle this :)

Tynan

I've had the desire for a long time now to have them avoid this sort of thing. But it's a tricky AI problem to say the least. There's significant geometric analysis that has to be done on a changing situation. So it just hasn't been addressed so far.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Matthiasagreen

I think a quicker fix for it would be a forbidden zone. Set a zone above an area and the colonist will act as if it is walled off.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Ketzal

Why not have all hostile entities (or even hunters) have a bubble around them that colonists cannot walk through without being drafted?

I don't know about the geometry of it all, but the AI handles walls that are being built, could it not be treated as a walled off area?  Maybe the "wall" is fixed for a period of time and then reset?

Adamiks

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on May 11, 2015, 09:10:55 AM
I think a quicker fix for it would be a forbidden zone. Set a zone above an area and the colonist will act as if it is walled off.

Quote from: Ketzal on May 11, 2015, 12:06:05 PM
Why not have all hostile entities (or even hunters) have a bubble around them that colonists cannot walk through without being drafted?

I don't know about the geometry of it all, but the AI handles walls that are being built, could it not be treated as a walled off area?  Maybe the "wall" is fixed for a period of time and then reset?

Exactly that i mean saying "danger zone".

isistoy

<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

darkrage000

Quote from: Tynan on May 11, 2015, 02:12:47 AM
I've had the desire for a long time now to have them avoid this sort of thing. But it's a tricky AI problem to say the least. There's significant geometric analysis that has to be done on a changing situation. So it just hasn't been addressed so far.

What about the mountains? Colonists don't walk into mountains when pathing, nor do they mindlessly mill about the edge of a wall if there's a lavish meal sitting on the ground inside...  maybe some of that coding could be applied here?

Seorl

Hello everyone.

I have a similar suggestion with a bit more customization options. For example I have a large underground base in tundra biome. Average air temperature is -40 C almost all time of the year, so I have to keep my colonists inside well-heated base. And there are special individuals, who have special outside missions - hunting, gathering, etc. They can be cold tolerant drones from mod or just specially well-clothed colonists, doesn't matter. Well, I can pick a specific hunter in job priorities tab, that's right, but hauling is a problem.

Point is, it would be great, if we had an option to place access zones (just like home regions or growing zones) unpassable to certain colonists and passable to others, based on names list. Just 4 tiles rectangle in gateway would be enough for me, but in other situations it can be used for kinda restrict "wall" around the base to prevent core colonists from going to the wasteland or "wall" around danger zone somewhere (by the way, i think, such restriction should NOT work for dazed or driven mad colonists).

This is not just couple strings in .xml file, I understand, and this is not critical task at the moment, but in my opinion it would greatly expand RimWorld indirect control system in addition to job priorities, work schedule and clothing templates for colonists. Thank you for your attention. : )
My English is bad and I should feel bad. : )

RemingtonRyder

Perhaps when there are hostile units abounding, we could have a 'Halt building/hauling' button. This would stop colonists from autonomously hauling and building stuff, but you would still be able to manually order them to do those tasks. When the threat has passed, this mode automatically disengages.

It's essentially like suspending a bill for a worktable.

Jorlem

Quote from: MarvinKosh on May 20, 2015, 05:37:33 AM
Perhaps when there are hostile units abounding, we could have a 'Halt building/hauling' button. This would stop colonists from autonomously hauling and building stuff, but you would still be able to manually order them to do those tasks. When the threat has passed, this mode automatically disengages.

It's essentially like suspending a bill for a worktable.
Also, putting out fires.  I've had to get into the habit of removing the home zone near or in the path of mechanoids, as the centipedes keep setting things on fire, and my colonists LOVE to walk into range of their guns to put out the fires.

Kegereneku

I don't think suspending bill/hauling or setting alternate-thinking mode for Pawn is the right ideas.

If you could draw a "Don't Cross" zone like you do with roof/no-roof zone, I imagine you could simply draw a line surrounding your colony to keep the colonist in.
Maybe have it be a zone that forbid selectively colonist. This way you could authorize which pawn is authorized to cross it.
This would accomplish the "workzone" so many ask & the "forbid zone".

Eventually it could also be made to forbid allies/visitor/neutral/non-guest from entering. If they do, they would be hostile/events and the game notify.

Of course I have noooo idea how much calculation it could add to have the pathfinding of every entity check around zone like they do with mountain.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !