Hold Fire/Friendly Fire Safety Modes

Started by Delekhan, May 13, 2015, 04:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delekhan

I've noticed there are a lot of (much-needed) improvements to the general gameplay systems in the changelog, which I think is great.

One improvement this game needs rather badly, in my opinion, is the option to have pawns and turrets Hold Fire. While the option is enabled, the turret or pawn will not automatically open fire on targets and will only manually attack or force fire. This will make managing mortars and artillery so much easier, and will also add a lot of useful options during combat (e.g. a guy with a heavy weapon or single-use weapon that you don't want used until the time is right).

Another obvious addition to the game is a "safe fire" mode. The pawn or turret will NOT open fire on a target if there is a significant chance it may hit a friendly pawn - INCLUDING visitors! force-fire can override this, obviously, and the option should be a toggled behavior (default on makes sense).

Let me know if you agree that having this simple addition to the game would multiply the fun factor and squash frustration on a whole new level.

jerome736

Haha will this lead to raiders taking your colonists hostage and using them as human shields to prevent the turrets from firing?

thetj

Quote from: jerome736 on May 13, 2015, 05:11:49 PM
Haha will this lead to raiders taking your colonists hostage...

Not necessarily. Force fire will take care of that. I have personally tried to capture certain raiders and was aunable because I can't selectively hold fire. They only way to do that now is by sending my colonists away from the range of fire, which is annoying and impractical in the middle of battle.

So yes, this feature would be super good to have!

But who knows, if it hasn't been implemented maybe there is something about it that doesn't quite help the gameplay. My hope is that Tynan simply hasn't thought of it yet.

Adamiks

Delekhan

I'm glad you agree :)

This seems like an obvious feature to me. Who hasn't raged at the incredibly lousy target-selection of colonists and turrets? Hold Fire/Safe Fire would make the game so much more fun merely by removing a source of pointless frustration.

Adamiks

Quote from: Delekhan on May 14, 2015, 05:59:32 PM

This seems like an obvious feature to me. Who hasn't raged at the incredibly lousy target-selection of colonists and turrets? Hold Fire/Safe Fire would make the game so much more fun merely by removing a source of pointless frustration.

Yep... I really don't like when 30+ colonists + turrets start to fire at the first enemy in this same time when even +100 enemies (I had 120 tribals today :D) just coming to kill us all.

TMAN80SS

I have moronic hunters who like to play "shoot your mate in the back of the cranium" while they hunt.

AGREEED!!!11!1

zandadoum

Quote from: Adamiks on May 16, 2015, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: Delekhan on May 14, 2015, 05:59:32 PM

Yep... I really don't like when 30+ colonists + turrets start to fire at the first enemy in this same time when even +100 enemies (I had 120 tribals today :D) just coming to kill us all.
well, as the post has been "necro'd" i might aswell answer to this:

if your base and raids are so big, a solution would be to build groups of turrets with a switch, switch them on/off with a delay and not all at same time. just have a colonists near the switch. minimum micromanagement.

Vault101

It would also be good if there was some kind of "spread fire" combat mode. 15 people shooting one guy when there's 50 more to choose from is just dreadful. Only alternative is pausing between each salvo and individually targeting (which I've done on occasion because it was really tight) but that completely ruins the experience.

Maybe have shooting priorities where you can choose targeting enemies at max range, mid range, min range so you can set 1/3 of your colonists to max, 1/3 to mid, 1/3 to min.

I just wanna spread the love, you know.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

If you want to spread the bullet storm to everyone just use a few mini gun using colonist
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Vault101

Miniguns are garbage that takes forever to aim, misses most of the shots and those that hit are about as damaging as a fist bruise. Only redeemable thing about them is high selling price.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I know that but I'm talking about if you had a choke point or a large cluster of enemies and don't have a triple rocket launcher or a doomsday launcher (what ever it's called I don't use them)
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

TLHeart

Quote from: Vault101 on September 08, 2015, 03:33:11 PM
Miniguns are garbage that takes forever to aim, misses most of the shots and those that hit are about as damaging as a fist bruise. Only redeemable thing about them is high selling price.

miniguns will never hit the target they are aiming at, but they are great against a packed group, as each hit resets the enemies aiming and shooting time. Have a chock point, force target the minigun on the end of the wall, will damage every enemy around.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: TLHeart on September 08, 2015, 03:41:24 PM
Quote from: Vault101 on September 08, 2015, 03:33:11 PM

miniguns will never hit the target they are aiming at, but they are great against a packed group, as each hit resets the enemies aiming and shooting time. Have a chock point, force target the minigun on the end of the wall, will damage every enemy around.

yeah, this is why i stopped cheating for a minigun with prepare carefully mod, it's actually quite devastating in the right situations if you have other colonists with charge and assault rifles backing up the minigunner, these days i give myself 1 survival rifle, 1 charge rifle and 1 assault rifle, seems balanced, to be honest for the most part.