A few thoughts on improving raids

Started by kingtyris, May 13, 2015, 10:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Since Tynan is spending time on A10 to bring us some very welcome improvements to raids, I think he'd appreciate us sharing some of our thoughts on how to go about that.

One thing I'd like to see is a minimum health requirement for raiders. More than once, raids have fallen apart as older and less healthy raiders straggle half a map behind their comrades, meaning the main effort is an underwhelming piecemeal rush leaving stragglers to be dealt with in detail after the main force is mopped up. A minimum requirement to at least moving efficiency would be an improvement.

Related to this, raiders should make an effort to maintain a minimum distance from each other, or a designated leader pawn, at least until the group or part of it engages in fighting. Unless the storyteller/raider AI intends for a two front assault. This would also be an interesting way to mix things up, especially with teams of sappers attacking multiple weak points.

And finally, please include multiple strategies for the AI to choose from. Don't be afraid to still send us the occasional overwhelming force steamroller even. I enjoy mowing down hoards of banzai chargers, but any one attack style gets stale after a while.

You're doing great work Tynan!

Kegereneku

I trust Tynan know the result he is aiming for.
But if it's just to give opinion...

My own though to counter Killbox wasn't through a specialized sapper team (though it is obviously smarter, as well as remembering trap and dangerous place).
It was to have  fraction of the raid. (30/70%, 50/50% or 10/90%) follow distinctive form of stupidity.
- One was to attack turret and colonist first. (Tribal often)
- One was to avoid turret and accept to go through wall. (in retrospect explosive should be necessary for that)
- Last one was to stay at maximum weapon range constantly. (Always chief and Sniper)

Not that I see any difference with what Tynan did.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !