Gripes with the new equipping system

Started by Panzer, May 15, 2015, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

I assume a check for any container with the apparel tag in its def would be sufficient.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Euzio

I believe there was a mod for this but should be included into the base build of the game. And that was to set it such that we can make colonists auto-equip gear according to the quality and HP % it had left. If there is a better quality item available in the stockpile they would automatically switch to it if their current clothing is below the value set. If not they will continue wearing it until the clothing breaks or there is a new set of clothes available in stock.

I've been having this issue whereby my colonist keeps auto-equipping a 30% condition armor vest and subsequently getting the -mood for wearing worn out apparel... I force them to drop it but when I try and check it to make it lootable so that they can burn it (I set my crematorium to burn anything below a certain quality and %), they just put it on instead and instantly get the negative buff.

LittleGreenStone

IMO a possibly easy solution would be the ability to check materials clothes are made out of, i.e. if we could check devilstrand dusters and uncheck cloth (and all other) dusters, colonists wouldn't grab anything but devilsstrand dusters.

Rahjital

Quote from: Euzio on May 28, 2015, 03:58:59 AM
I believe there was a mod for this but should be included into the base build of the game. And that was to set it such that we can make colonists auto-equip gear according to the quality and HP % it had left.

You can already do that, the outfit manager has a hitpoint slider. :)

Devon_v

Quote from: Euzio on May 28, 2015, 03:58:59 AM
I've been having this issue whereby my colonist keeps auto-equipping a 30% condition armor vest and subsequently getting the -mood for wearing worn out apparel... I force them to drop it but when I try and check it to make it lootable so that they can burn it (I set my crematorium to burn anything below a certain quality and %), they just put it on instead and instantly get the negative buff.

I've noticed this with personal shields. My guy can be wearing nice clothes, but as soon as he puts on his worn out shield generator he's like "my clothes suck". It would be nice if colonists looked at armor/shields differently than they do clothing.

Euzio

Quote from: Devon_v on May 28, 2015, 05:39:18 PM
I've noticed this with personal shields. My guy can be wearing nice clothes, but as soon as he puts on his worn out shield generator he's like "my clothes suck". It would be nice if colonists looked at armor/shields differently than they do clothing.

I managed to circumvent it somewhat. I recruit them, tell them to go to my stockpile (ones with the orbital trade beacon), and then force them to drop the low condition item. It remains forbidden for my colonists to pick up. Then when a combat supplier rolls along, I just sell it to them since its impossible for me to burn it in the crematorium. Somewhat troublesome but at least it works. Though whenever I get raided by pirates and they drop those combat armor gear, my colonists will still auto-equip them after they cremate their bodies... So i'm usually forced to check each of my colonists in the aftermath of a raid to ensure none of them are equipping faulty items.

TLHeart

or just set the durability slider on the cloths to 50% and better, no micro of cloths... and you can still force them to wear a shield if you want to.

Euzio

Quote from: TLHeart on May 28, 2015, 10:38:34 PM
or just set the durability slider on the cloths to 50% and better, no micro of cloths... and you can still force them to wear a shield if you want to.

I've set that for the crematorium to incinerate any item of clothing below 50% with a quality rating of below normal. However, it does not prevent colonists from still auto-equipping that item. There doesn't seem to be a way currently to make it such that colonists themselves have sliders so that we can set it such that they do not auto-equip a certain quality of clothing. I remember browsing through the mod forums and there was a mod for this but its not been updated.

Rahjital

Quote from: Euzio on May 28, 2015, 11:31:46 PM
There doesn't seem to be a way currently to make it such that colonists themselves have sliders so that we can set it such that they do not auto-equip a certain quality of clothing.

Uhh... http://i.imgur.com/y0kUkKG.png?1

It's in the Outfit manager.

Panzer

The outfit manager works fine, I recommed making 2 different outfits for your colonists, one for brawlers with shield checked and another one with shield unchecked, else your guys will always go for a shield after an unwanted hospital visit :P

Would be great though if we could check and uncheck certain materials there, as well as for stockpiles.

Rahjital

For shields, I would just recommend to make your colonists force wear them before every raid instead of allowing them in outfit category. Shields wear down when they are worn and you only need them during raids, so having them always on is a waste.

Frankenbeasley

Since I am anal enough to love a good bit of micromanagement, I have 9 different Outfits set up (on a 40-member colony, I should add. I'm anal, not deranged).

Alpha - Snipers : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Cowboy Hat - 80% to 100%, Excellent to Legendary
Beta - Assault : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Cowboy Hat - 80% to 100%, Excellent to Legendary
Gamma - Power : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Cowboy Hat - 80% to 100%, Excellent to Legendary
Delta - Melee : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Cowboy Hat - 80% to 100%, Excellent to Legendary
Snipers - Alpha : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Armour Vest, Kevlar Helmet - 60% to 100%, Good to Legendary
Assault - Beta : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Armour Vest, Kevlar Helmet - 50% to 100%, Normal to Legendary
Power - Gamma : Power Armour, Power Armour Helmet - 60% to 100%, Normal to Legendary
Melee - Delta : Pants, Button-down Shirt, Duster, Armour Vest, Power Armour, Personal Shield, Power Armour Helmet, Kevlar Helmet, - 60% to 100%, Normal to Legendary
Birthday Suit : Nothing

I do it this way so that as soon as a raid is flagged I can get everyone into the right battle dress without having to think, just swap them for their reciprocal outfit. I use Birthday Suit if my stock of new clothing gets high enough by getting everybody in the buff then setting them back, group by group.

Come to think of it, despite my earlier assertion, I may possibly be deranged after all.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

gophertuna

or perhaps an option to select clothing selection priority list? defense, quality, condition, insulation, etc.

Sometimes I get colonists who doesn't want to dress for the weather even though I've provided adequate gear. They just prefer to walk around complaining it's cold instead.

axefrog

Here's a thought. If colonists are able to carry a spare meal with them, then why not other things as well? If a colonist could, say, have a backpack (new item idea, Tynan?) then in their backpack they could put their food and maybe also spare clothes. In this way, a colonist could decide that their vest is slowly wearing out and decide to put a spare one in their backpack. When the one they're wearing dies out, they'd put on their spare one immediately. I guess Tynan would need to enhance the inventory system to cater for something like this, but I imagine it would open a lot of possibilities regarding the way colonists manage themselves. Joy from finding and keeping shiny objects? Carry a few grenades for throwing during combat then fall back to shooting? Carry medkits for in-field dressing of wounds? What else?