power control

Started by todofwar, November 29, 2013, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todofwar

Nothing fancy, just an ability to have certain buildings be higher on the priority list when I go under capacity. Like have the nutrient paste dispenser be the absolute last thing to turn off

Aelia

Nutrient paste and communications boards, yeah. I'd really love to see that.

What I've been doing until there's something like that setup, has been just shutting down lights in rooms my dudes aren't in. (It sort of helps...)

central

Doors take electricity too, shutting down all your doors will slow your colonist down, but that's better then not eating.

Stew2000

Coloured cables that match the carpets (or coloured concrete) would be a good way to control distribution.

Omni

At the moment this is something I micromanage. (Turning off lights, doors and electrical devices if my batteries are running low.) Being able to automate it would be very helpful, though, as long as it was predictable and reliable. Things like "at 80% power, shut off these lights and doors unless they've been put in manual override 'keep on' mode."

I guess it depends. Do you consider micromanaging power usage every time the need comes up to be part of gameplay or an unnecessary chore? :)

todofwar

Quote from: Omni on December 06, 2013, 08:06:37 AM
At the moment this is something I micromanage. (Turning off lights, doors and electrical devices if my batteries are running low.) Being able to automate it would be very helpful, though, as long as it was predictable and reliable. Things like "at 80% power, shut off these lights and doors unless they've been put in manual override 'keep on' mode."

I guess it depends. Do you consider micromanaging power usage every time the need comes up to be part of gameplay or an unnecessary chore? :)

I would go with chore, personally. Mostly because I'm stuck turning everything off to try and get my nutrient paste dispenser running (and once I had a colonist starve to death because I didn't realize til too late it was off). I would even be happy with an option to force on certain things, and all other power using things would get switched off automatically to compensate.

Stew2000

Lights should definitely be an auto-off as a person leaves a room.

aagaard

what about Light Switches so you just put that on top of cabble and when you turn that off it will cut the power to all the things the cabbel supports that way you can turn whole buildings off

Ender

Quote from: aagaard on December 06, 2013, 05:50:58 PM
what about Light Switches so you just put that on top of cabble and when you turn that off it will cut the power to all the things the cabbel supports that way you can turn whole buildings off

Perfect! That would solve a whole hell of alot of issues, and id also kinda like a farriday cage so EVERY time a solar flare happens nobody gets fed, you know like you to make a room "farridayed" it costs a WHOLE lot of metal. something neat to have especially since its  a fairly futuristic game...
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

todofwar

Quote from: Ender on December 06, 2013, 09:33:10 PM

Perfect! That would solve a whole hell of alot of issues, and id also kinda like a farriday cage so EVERY time a solar flare happens nobody gets fed, you know like you to make a room "farridayed" it costs a WHOLE lot of metal. something neat to have especially since its  a fairly futuristic game...
I think that will get solved by allowing your colonists to eat from the raw food stock pile, based on what I've heard mentioned in other threads.

Ender

Quote from: todofwar on December 07, 2013, 08:13:43 AM
Quote from: Ender on December 06, 2013, 09:33:10 PM

I think that will get solved by allowing your colonists to eat from the raw food stock pile, based on what I've heard mentioned in other threads.

ya, i read that, but come on, a faraday cage would still be a good thing to have, for gods sake we have laser weapons and interplanetary travel but don't have the ability to build faraday a room, even if it cost ALOT of metal? and ya the whole being able to grab food from stockpiles will be good!
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

harpo99999

regarding the faraday cage, I would like the UNDERGROUND areas to not be affected by the solar flares as earth and rock are fairly good shielding materials for EMF

Cyclops

Quote from: harpo99999 on December 07, 2013, 03:25:19 PM
regarding the faraday cage, I would like the UNDERGROUND areas to not be affected by the solar flares as earth and rock are fairly good shielding materials for EMF
Weeeell... Partial protection maybe. A bunch of unrefined rock is no substitute for Grade-Z Shielding.

harpo99999

depends upon how many METRES of rock is being discussed vs the thickness of the "grade-z shielding" and reletive efficiency/cost of each