Human Leather

Started by cultist, May 17, 2015, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

Butchering humans and making clothing from the leather is a quick and simple way of making cash. It's kind of balanced out by the butcher getting a mood penalty, but I think the system could do with a bit more complexity, so here's a few suggestions concerning murdering fellow humans and turning them into jackets:

- wearing human leather clothing causes a mood penalty unless the colonist is a psychopath (maybe bloodlust too).
- only slave traders will buy human leather clothing and human meat - reputable traders won't deal in these rather shady items.
- larger beauty penalty for human meat and leather (need to store it somewhere colonists don't see it too often).

There's room for some positive additions too, but I'm not really sure how they could be worked into the current game - for example, fighting a colony all wearing human skin oufits should break raider's morale pretty quickly in real life, but I'm not sure if it's possible to work into the current mechanics of the game - something for future updates perhaps.

userfredle

I like these ideas, however i NEVER use anything human, i believe its an easy way for food or leather, so im down to make it alot more complex to be a psychopath

JO01

Sounds cool but I would only do so evil things if all my colonists are cannibals.

Panzer

I would welcome some more penalties, right now butchering dead raiders is just way too profitable, my stomach turns at the thought but I do it anyways because money.
Human leather's price is close to devilstrand (15$ vs 16$) and clothes made out of it sell for quite much, you get human meat that sells quite nicely too, and you dont need to make graves/ burn corpses, all for just a -4 to mood thats gone in like an hour ingame. There is just too much win in there to not use it.

My suggestion is to let the mood penalty stack up to like a -20 total, and add a mood penalty for crafting/ building with human leather, cannibals and psychopaths of course excluded.

userfredle

I had no idea human leather was so profitable, i shall forever butcher my raiders, that being said even furthers proof of need for more downfalls to the benifits

Havan_IronOak

I'd second the suggestion that Human leather and meat be nerfed. It IS too profitable, the penalties too low, and I find my colonies becoming mini Aushwitzes all too easily.

BetaSpectre

IMO the penalties are realistic
People normally don't know what their own clothes or items are made up of specifically.
Leather is leather no matter where it comes from. Most people will think so at least unless told otherwise.

Also people didn't go insane running Aushwitze People can take alot of ethically questionable things before breaking.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cultist

Quote from: BetaSpectre on May 17, 2015, 07:43:07 PM
IMO the penalties are realistic
People normally don't know what their own clothes or items are made up of specifically.
Leather is leather no matter where it comes from. Most people will think so at least unless told otherwise.

Also people didn't go insane running Aushwitze People can take alot of ethically questionable things before breaking.

It's not really a question of realism or morals but of game balance - the AI throws the materials for human leather clothing right on your doorstep with regular intervals. The only real penalty for making and selling these items at a great price (better than other leather items) is a short mood debuff to the butcher, which can be avoided by having a psycho butcher. Thus, making and selling cloth or other leather items becomes counter-productive. I think there should be something (more) to balance out the high value of human leather.