RimWorld Art design and Ideas

Started by Conti027, October 05, 2013, 09:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conti027

So I was thinking since Rimworld doesn't really have its own Art design or Artist yet. I was thinking we as a community can give ideas and/or what we like and don't like :)

Me personal likes the whole Prison Architect art and design and I'm sure a few will agree and dis-agree. Its a big reason I was drawn to the game. I kinda hope the PA look sticks and with that said it doesn't mean a better style for the game wont show up. I just love the PA look. Its a nice simple and clean look that isn't crazy fancy that looks good and doesn't look dated. I can go on and on about why I love PA art style but I wont. Other people that like it chime in.

What I hope doesn't happen is a pixel art style. I'm not a big fan of pixel/pixelated art styles in games but there are a few games that are okay with one. *cough* FTL but I'm getting wore out on it because its used so often.

What do other people think and any idea they might have :)

British

The best thing that could happen to make just about everyone happy would be for us to be able, as end-users, to change the graphical assets as we see fit.
Just like DF indeed, though it may not be that easy with RW as of right now (you can check the wiki, almost all the actual pre-alpha assets are there).

Hypolite

The problem with interchangeable skins is that it increases the developer's burden. Right now Tynan has already a lot on his plate and he never told about hiring more coding workforce.

Semmy

Quote from: Hypolite on October 06, 2013, 05:54:22 AM
The problem with interchangeable skins is that it increases the developer's burden. Right now Tynan has already a lot on his plate and he never told about hiring more coding workforce.

the workload tynan has already but in place for himself is alot already.
I doubt asking more at this point would be nice.
maybe tynan should add 1 stretch goal at 150K and that should be hire Notch as a coder or something d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

AspenShadow

Whatever the decision, while I'm a fan of the PA style the Alpha version has, I think that RW should have a distinct style of its own. Nothing too complex and I'm with you on the pixel-exasperation, but so far I've heard Rimworld being compared constantly to Dwarf Fortress, FTL and Prison Architect and it would be nice for the game to try and escape those comparisons as much as possible until people are saying, "PA has a sort of Rimworld-style to it."  :)

TacKLed

I think a pixel art style with some animation for the sprites would be good.

Zeiph

While I also like the PA architect, it is obvious that by going for this graphical style, the two games will be compared. I don't say you should change it though because it has some great pros, like the simplicity of whatever is on the map. And as for pixel art (which I also like), but it is pretty time consuming to produce good sprites and also some kind of buzz style those times for inde gaming.

Mansen

I personally don't mind the Prison Architect artstyle in the least. It's easy to read and fits the theme and genre.

I wouldn't mind it if it changed into something like FTL pixel art or similar though.

Yarkista

Quote from: Semmy on October 06, 2013, 06:11:20 AM
Quote from: Hypolite on October 06, 2013, 05:54:22 AM

the workload tynan has already but in place for himself is alot already.
I doubt asking more at this point would be nice.
maybe tynan should add 1 stretch goal at 150K and that should be hire Notch as a coder or something d-;

Notch is a terrible coder.

Conti027

Well I think what makes the PA art style so nice is its a clean minimalist art style.

British

Quote from: TacKLed on October 06, 2013, 12:39:32 PM
I think a pixel art style with some animation for the sprites would be good.
And I think/feel otherwise.

I know it's all the rage these days (along with zombies, of course), and I do indulge in some pixelarted games now and then, but it's doesn't have to be *everywhere*, just for the sake of it.
It doesn't bring anything to the game.

Tynan

It'll always be a minimalist vector style, and the same POV and lighting, so it'll always look something like PA. I just want to move away from the characters in exactly the same style, mostly, and get some proper art for other assets in the game.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

walti921

I think we should just let Tynan find an artist he's happy working with before we jump around making suggestions about art styles....

I think its a little premature given all we can really speculate about is the "direction" the art will take, any artist is going to want to do things in their own particular style in any case.

That been said i already like a lot of the assets in game and the lighting is cool.

British

Quote from: Tynan on October 06, 2013, 10:40:47 PM
It'll always be a minimalist vector style (...)
Ah yeah, that's something I overlooked in my answer against pixel-art: the assets need to be vectorized, as there's different levels of zoom, and it wouldn't look so good with huge pixels.

duplo52

Would it be to game destroying code wise to add a similar mechanic like Mc did and let the community do texture packs? Then art style done on Tynans end can be generic and less focused.  This allows him to focus elsewhere maybe.