Bones

Started by hector212121, May 17, 2015, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

I had a idea.
Add in Bones for each animal. Bones can be crafted into knives, shivs, clubs, and spears. They're faster and more durable than Wood, but inflict slighly less blunt damage. However, they also inflict decent edged damage.

They have a penalty to beauty but can still be worked into sculptures.

They cannot be used for walls without researching some machine that turns bones into bricks.

Basically, another renewable resource for carnivores and cannibals. Also, a use for all those dessicated corpses!

Adamiks

+1. And maybe armor from bones? You know, this would always better than nothing.

userfredle

I honestly doubt its gonna be long before tynan implements all these general DF like elements its still lacking, were still missing different wood types so its probably gonna be a few alphas before anything is done with bones becoming an item in addition to each animal type

Tynan

I actually thought of this I'm just afraid of adding too many items to micromanage. In a game without multiple items in a cell (like DF has).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

hector212121

Who said everyone had to have different bones?

It could be temporarily standardized to human and animal bone.

Like I said though, a use for dessicated corpses.  Also something that allows you to never use a crematorium.

Also, Ty, what's the issue with multi-item cells, anyway? Just a design choice or is there a actual reason?

Tynan

Well, it wouldn't be a design choice if there wasn't a reason :p

Mainly:
-Hard for players to see/select/count items that share a cell. What does this look like visually?
-Hard for AI to schedule reserving/unreserving/hauling items that share a cell. Now, what, you reserve 45% of a cell? Now you can have multiple pawns reserve a cell at once. Also, do other pawns with 60% of a cell worth of stuff to store just ignore it, or do they actually just part of what they have, calculating the amount from the 55% of the cell that's available?
-Hard to come up with simple, clear rules on the maximum capacity of a cell that make sense for abitrary item counts and that players can predict and work with.

Overall, hauling and storage AI is already a huge challenge. Multiple items in a cell, with different volumes (necessary) extends it into areas of complexity that I'm frankly a bit afraid of. And I don't think it's necessary or necessarily even beneficial.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

hector212121

Hmmm...

What about at least adding Barrels or something?

That would simplify storages immensely.

Basically, make it so 5 hauls of the same exact resource, or 5 items of same type but possibly different quality/durability, can be stored in a single barrel.

I assure you that anyone who has attempted to make a giant pile of laundry can tell you it takes up far more floor space than using laundry baskets.

Barrels could also negate beauty penalties for meats and leathers.

BetaSpectre

IMO bones as another resource like leather makes sense.
Though it should be a detail IMO that gets added after Raider AI updates and so forth.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cultist

Unless it has some specific/unique purpose I don't think it's a great idea - I can see the map getting cluttered with bone pretty quickly if they pop out every time you butcher something. Might be good for maps with low wood, but wouldn't that be sort of defeating the extra challenge of those maps?

Valor

Quote from: Tynan on May 17, 2015, 07:17:27 PM
Well, it wouldn't be a design choice if there wasn't a reason :p

Mainly:
-Hard for players to see/select/count items that share a cell. What does this look like visually?
-Hard for AI to schedule reserving/unreserving/hauling items that share a cell. Now, what, you reserve 45% of a cell? Now you can have multiple pawns reserve a cell at once. Also, do other pawns with 60% of a cell worth of stuff to store just ignore it, or do they actually just part of what they have, calculating the amount from the 55% of the cell that's available?
-Hard to come up with simple, clear rules on the maximum capacity of a cell that make sense for abitrary item counts and that players can predict and work with.

Overall, hauling and storage AI is already a huge challenge. Multiple items in a cell, with different volumes (necessary) extends it into areas of complexity that I'm frankly a bit afraid of. And I don't think it's necessary or necessarily even beneficial.

There are mods that already handle that. I used them, and only issue I found was forced wear/equip/haul command. Everything esle worked nicely.

isistoy

Quote from: Tynan on May 17, 2015, 07:17:27 PM
Tell us about it! I even found my Starcraft "skills" (mouahaha, not really) to be needed, currently.
No bones for me, but maybe for the garden, as powder :D

Edit: thanks for the Pause button, by the way!
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

hector212121

Bones would be a alternate source that doesn't take more time to get, and also would probably work for bones and pila.

It's another resource; Is having marble vs granite clutter? No, they're similar but different resources.

Adamiks

Hmm... I don't promise anything but when i will get some time i will try to add bones as resource.

Elixiar

I think it would be easier and control the amount of bones gathered to only let them be gathered from desiccated bodies, animal and human. Sure, it would make sense to take them when its been butchered but I think sometimes people forget that game mechanics do are not real life. Bone weapons and helmets/ hats would be cool though and would be a decent way of allowing tribals some varied clothing other than just the tribal dress.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

hector212121

Maybe have different butchering options, "Butcher and salvage bone" and "Butcher and discard bone"?