[WIP] Rimworld Forever

Started by skullywag, May 20, 2015, 12:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

This will be an overhaul of sorts, with the main aim being to stay on the planet forever.

The "tech tree" will be completely redone from the ground up with the player having to go from nothing to everything in a logical way.

New items, buildings, weapons, apparel will be added along with everything being split into its relevant tech level, medievil for example will contain knight armour, crossbows etc.

Im open to any and all ideas but I have a base plan of what i want (a core if you will).

Crafting will be adapted where it feels logical (cotton plant -> cotton bolls -> cloth etc).

Change log:

19.05.2015:
Removed all buildings and research
Removed all starting resource (from mapgen)
Removed all starting equipment (from droppod)
Added log walls
Added log doors
Made leaf piles harvestable from bushes
Added log/leafy bed
Added log stool
Added log table
Added simple research table
Added bowyer table
Stuffed bows
Made bows craftable at bowyer table
Added Stuffed Smithing table (non powered)
Made some low level melee craftable at manual smithing table
Added automated smithing table (powered)
Made more advanced vanilla melee craftable at automated smithing table
Added stuffed manual tailor table (non powered)
Added stuffed automated tailor table (powered)
Made cotton plant drop cotton bolls
Made devilstrand plant drop devilstrand thread
Added spinning wheel
Made cloth craftable at spinning wheel
Added Loom (used for mixing fabrics eventually)
Changed uranium texture and colour to be more green to seperate it from steel a bit more.
Added research defs for hunting, animal prep, fabric processing, tailoring, carpet making, improved fabric processing, advanced fabric processing, fletching and bow making, improved ranged weaponry, melee weapons, automated melee weapon production, simple power

20.05.2015:
Added shield accessory
Made shield accessory render on pawn
Made shield accessory block damage based on melee skill

Also I am looking for texture help on this if anyone feels up to the task.

More to come.....lots more.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Adamiks

Something like (dead for now) EPOE Project.

skullywag

it might be (never heard of it or im not recognising the acronym).

This is also a test of my modding skills (which i always like doing) and ive wanted to play a mod that does this forever (ha pun) but no ones done it how i would like so...

skullywag

Im also debating putting the code on github and allowing the community to do pull requests to provide extras (if they fit the mod). This will be a bit further on though as I want a good base first.

Adamiks

Sorry, my mistake. That was Project EONS

You can ask them about files. I was in team for a short team so i have files but still, ask leader about this.

skullywag

ah i see, again this is based on how I would want it to work so for now itll be my code base from scratch. Ill happily take ideas though.

Adamiks

Quote from: skullywag on May 20, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
ah i see, again this is based on how I would want it to work so for now itll be my code base from scratch. Ill happily take ideas though.

Ideas? I'm sorry for saying this, but.... Project EONS! ;D
Seriously. For me starting from VERY start (hunting with bows etc) is a great idea. Maybe they are colonists from 5000 year but they don't have any technology at all.

skullywag

Already done. I have most if not all of neolithic done, im moving into medievil now (crossbows, shields, knight armour, swords, stoneblocks, simple metal working etc). Im not gonna look at other peoples code until i have the base mod sorted, i dont want to get off track with random stuff.

Adamiks

Quote from: skullywag on May 20, 2015, 02:15:00 PM
Already done. I have most if not all of neolithic done, im moving into medievil now (crossbows, shields, knight armour, swords, stoneblocks, simple metal working etc). Im not gonna look at other peoples code until i have the base mod sorted, i dont want to get off track with random stuff.

Seriously? like now? Wow. You're a great modder or you just added like 2 items? :D Anyway this is why i think that Projects are just weak. You want do something? Do it by yourself! This is the fastest way!

skullywag

right now its just moving all vanilla items into their relevant tech levels, see the change log in the OP for what ive done so far. Once I have all of vanilla sorted ill flesh out the tech levels more, I will however add a couple of things I have on my list of definites as I go (like the medieval shields ive done)

Adamiks

This looks very good! I just can't believe that you done this all in one day ;D I really would like to help you with something, but you know - work  :-\

And what about raiders? Ya know. This'll be hard to defeat raiders with charge rifles using only sticks/medieval swords.

Nekomimi

"And what about raiders? Ya know. This'll be hard to defeat raiders with charge rifles using only sticks/medieval swords."

If he will change item and colonist value raiders will have way less equipment. You will have 5 bow colonists vs one charge rifle raider, or even more.
Have you fell here from the sky
Have you been trapped under stone
We're all glad that you survive
This is now your only home

Born in the primitive tribe
Joined the pirates in their cove
The past doesn't matter now
The Vault Seven is your home

mrofa

Would love to help but im swaped with work, so if you find any texture you like in clutter just take it :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Armorer

Quote from: Adamiks on May 20, 2015, 02:56:45 PM
This looks very good! I just can't believe that you done this all in one day ;D I really would like to help you with something, but you know - work  :-\

And what about raiders? Ya know. This'll be hard to defeat raiders with charge rifles using only sticks/medieval swords.

I've got solution for that. It's called fortifications. You can make narrow shooting corridors or force raiders into close quarters melee where medieval sticks are more useful than rifles. The questions is how you fight the melee hordes of raiders.

Adamiks

Quote from: Armorer on May 23, 2015, 03:11:50 PM
Quote from: Adamiks on May 20, 2015, 02:56:45 PM

I've got solution for that. It's called fortifications. You can make narrow shooting corridors or force raiders into close quarters melee where medieval sticks are more useful than rifles. The questions is how you fight the melee hordes of raiders.

Yep, but after you'll kill raiders and take their weapons melee-killbox will be useless (if you don't like melee weapons). Oh... I just realised that i'm stupid. I can take their weapons so there will be no problem with fight.