RimWorld Core XML

Started by milon, November 16, 2015, 07:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

So I decided there had to be a better way of learning RimWorld XML modding than just searching and look at example after example.  It turns out, there is!  I wrote a script to join all the Core XML files into 1, dumped out an inferred XSD from it, and translated that into both an SVG and an HTML file.  I now share these with you.  Enjoy!

I would appreciate any/all feedback.  I have had NO experience with XSD before this project, so I have no idea if this will be useful to anyone or not.

My results, in order of file size:
CoreXML.xsd 412 Kb (I have no experience with xsd - is this useful?)
CoreXML.xml 1.48 MB (all Core XML's concatenated into 1 file)
CoreXML-HTML.zip 5.63 MB (need to unzip to access all files)
CoreXML.svg 41.8 MB (yes, it's very large!)

Hopefully this can grow into a full-fledged modders help file!

EDIT - Obsolete downloads removed. See new thread instead: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21440.0

milon

* cricket, cricket *

I don't have a download count since this is all hosted on my Dropbox.  Did anyone find this helpful?

Fluffy (l2032)

yes and no. Yea, it's potentially very helpful. But it's too much information for a static overview. If the tool could build a linked version with multiple pages (one per 'main' tag), that'ld be a lot easier to use as a reference.

That said, I've got it tucked away and ready for the next time I can't find the right XML tag ;).

Alistaire

I made something similar a while back but when you really want to know something about a tag you're probably modding in C# and when
you're modding in C# you got ILSpy open which contains this and more.

RawCode

notepad++ allows to perform look up over multiple files, this feature makes any kind of "harvesting" obsolete.

i just can't imagine task that i cannot perform just by using vanilla notepad++ features.

only possible use of XML harvesting is static MUI merge (apply translation patch to XML files in static manner), but ever this will be only remotely useful and will save only single look up.

milon

Thanks for the feedback.  It was worth a try.  If I get the time, I might just make a linked HTML version.  While it may not be terribly useful, given the rest of the feedback, it wouldn't be tied to any single OS, which would make it more accessible.

Quote from: RawCode on December 02, 2015, 01:36:17 AM
notepad++ allows to perform look up over multiple files, this feature makes any kind of "harvesting" obsolete.

Huh, I never knew that.  But I've never really used it before - SciTE has been my go-to for a long time, but I may have to look at notepad++ now.

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 29, 2015, 11:01:44 AM
yes and no. Yea, it's potentially very helpful. But it's too much information for a static overview. If the tool could build a linked version with multiple pages (one per 'main' tag), that'ld be a lot easier to use as a reference.

That said, I've got it tucked away and ready for the next time I can't find the right XML tag ;).

Honestly, after I made all of that, the most helpful thing for me (novice XML-only mods) was dumping all the Core XML's into 1 file and CTRL+F'ing my way through it until things stopped being broken.  ;)

milon

Okay, I've cut it all down to a single self-linked HTML file, which I crafted directly from the Core XML's.  I released it in a new thread, under Help.  I'll take these files down eventually since they're huge and not all that helpful.