Funny thing about squirrels...

Started by caldur06, May 22, 2015, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caldur06

They can get into anything.

So in this unmodded game, I was always aware of this random squirrel that had somehow gotten into my base. I have no idea how he got in, but he'd been there for the better part of a winter and I was very amused at his presence. I decided to let him stay, as a sort of mascot. Occasionally I'd scan around for him, notice him still alive, I'd smirk, and move on to whatever I was doing.

In the middle of the following summer, I was clicking on wildlife and I noticed that the squirrels in the wild would randomly do the following: "wandering... wandering... eating lichen... wandering". That got me wondering - what was going on with my own squirrel? What was he eating? I had some bare dirt areas in the greenhouse pods that didn't have doors to them. So far as I knew, he was only in the open hallway that spanned the length of my base, the one greenhouse pod without doors, and the common room. Otherwise the only food available was in the freezers, so unless he was eating raw plants I had no clue what was going on!

Well I click on him and follow him for a bit. Then get bored and started mining over on the other side of the marsh again. Night falls, and my colonists go to sleep... and I notice the squirrel wandering out of the common room. "That's strange," I thought to myself. "I left him in the warehouse before and he doesn't usually wander far. Why was he up there?"

So I click on him. And see this. Health good, age, 2 years (to be expected, he's living a nice long comfortable life!) one... fueled by booze, apparently!

Indeed, having followed him since, I have found that HIS behavior pattern is "wandering... wandering... consuming alcohol... wandering". Turns out hardcore booze consumption is the key to his longevity! Not only is he the oldest squirrel on the planet, BUT he's also got the liver of a dwarf! Hah, actually I think a TOTALLY AWESOME quirk in the coding has him simply consume the nearest available edible substance - in this case, the beer I leave by the common room television - but it's mad cool that the squirrel can actually get drunk as a result.

Good luck little guy, here's to 2 more years of avoiding sobriety!

[attachment deleted due to age]

nmid

lmao.

Ps - Nice weapon stack, hayhouse has in his rooms. He gets to his room, dis-arms and then sleeps peacefully :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Panzer

Haha cool story, that was fun to read :D

Gonna leave this here ;D

[attachment deleted due to age]

Rahjital

This is why I wish we could nickname animals.

nmid

hahaha!

Does the alcohol count reduce from 25 over time?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Panzer

Yeah sure it does, I just set it to resupply. The hare wakes up, is hungry and hammered, drinks another beer and passes out again ;D Hilarious, could watch it for hours  ;D

LittleGreenStone

I noticed beer has a good price, so I started producing larger quantities, to sell them. Of course, that was before I realized I can actually place trading beacons inside...

Production was smooth, after half a year a trader arrived, "let's get rich selling them booze" I thought.
"Beer...beer...twenty-something...?"
Huh? That isn't right, it should kick hundreds! I looked over the stockpile only to find a dozen squirrels incapacitated. At first I didn't even realize it, I forgot all about the beer and was wondering why they are lying there knocked-out, when one got up, consumed some beer and immediately fell over again.

I was laughing so hard I decided to let them have it all, that is, until I ran out of meat.
Needless to say my hunter didn't have to go far -or break a sweat hunting them.

Mimic

Haha this is amazing anyone else have pictures of Rimanimals getting drunk.

Adamiks

Ah, Rimworld..... Organ harvesting, murders, humans butchering and drunk animals.... Ah, Rimworld.

Dr. Z

Prasie the Squirrel!

Katorone

Makes me wonder if beer is a good defence against berserk animals...  I've noticed before that they become docile again after finding rations to eat.

Euzio

Don't have a screenshot because it happened too quickly... but just last night, I had a cargo drop pod of cups of coffee (I play with the Finer Things mod) drop just outside my base walls. Now the thing with the cups of coffee is that they actually provide a boost to a colonists movespeed and consciousness when consumed. So I was quite happy to get my hands on it as I had yet to put my own coffee production in operation.

As luck would have it, the pods decided to fall in an area right where a squirrel was roaming about. Said squirrel promptly decided he needed a caffeine fix and started devouring the coffee. When he started on his second batch I decided enough and promptly set one of my colonists to hunt the caffeine loving squirrel.... And I realised the error of messing with squirrels who are high on caffeine.... For starters, the squirrel was dodging my colonists bullets like crazy. My colonist had a pretty decent shooting capability and was armed with a pistol, but it took like a good 30seconds before she managed to hit the damn rodent. And then the horror starts, the minute she hit the rodent a couple of times, it went berserk and started attacking her... And its definitely something to take note about... a berserk squirrel high on caffeine is a potent recipe... My colonist finally took it down but the injury toll was pretty bad... scratch and bite marks everywhere and she was bleeding quite abit... She ended up in the med-bed till the next day...

Coenmcj

This is hilarious. We need an AA meeting for all the squirrels in the region though...
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite