Animal husbandry/taming

Started by jamesinar, May 24, 2015, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesinar

We need the ability to breed and raise animals. Hunting as the only source of meat isn't very efficient. So how about pasture areas and domesticated animals? Maybe have the ability to capture and train wild animals as well. Which would give us the ability to unleash a swarm of attack boomrats on a mechanoid raid. Or a horde of squirrels against a siege.

Adamiks

+1 for pasture areas and domesticated animals.

But -1 for this - "Maybe have the ability to capture and train wild animals as well. Which would give us the ability to unleash a swarm of attack boomrats on a mechanoid raid. Or a horde of squirrels against a siege."

I don't think that squirrels are killing machines (ok, i know, maybe in Rimworld, but i don't want to have even more OP squirrels in game).

Kegereneku

The idea come regularly.

I all ok with the idea of taming animal but not breeding. It take a LOT of animals and TIME to really live of Animal husbandry. (edit : also, adding a hunt-bill to the butcher table would easily solve most problem)
So I think we are best imagining mechanics to make them fit in the gameplay (more than for food)... preferably without hijacking the gameplay with a new world of complexity. (I'm not keen on micromanaging cow or pet)

Defining a pasture zone and bringing a food to attract an animal could be the minimal.
Since it's a zone you could have a bill asking a social-colonist to attract the animal in or do stuff.
But then what does it do ? (aside waiting to be hunted)
Produce shitmanure, used as floor to improve farm ?
Produce wool for clothing ?

I have an hard time thinking of a feature than won't create a cascade of subtlety and change (like using the animal to haul stuff)
Ideally the feature would be compatible with others feature in some way, so as to not exist just for the sake of animal husbandry.

I've got nothing to add on this.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

jamesinar

Gnomoria made raising animals work. It didn't complicate things too much either.