Question for Tynan about Storytellers

Started by Kegereneku, May 24, 2015, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

Tynan,
Thank you if I can bother you for a question about the themed Storytellers you said to be considering.

Quote[..]we're considering other AI Storytellers, too. High population storytellers, starvation storytellers, seasonal storytellers, moody storytellers, and anything the community thinks up are all on the table.

A chance remark made be wonder if Events are classified.
By that I mean if Events can appear or never appear with specific storyteller. (or inversely if those digital person are selective on the tropes they uses).
So far the story of Cassandra, Phoebe and Randy seem to indicate they are not.

Do you plan anything like that ? Or did you chose not to ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Tynan

I don't "plan" anything; I just have ideas I might work on some day.

This specific one isn't so interesting so I don't think I'll go that way. Maybe when there are a huge number of incidents to play with. But right now, there's not enough stuff for it to make sense to turn half of it off to provide some specialized play experience.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Frankenbeasley

I was imagining that the Storytellers might be differentiated more by the starting conditions.

So, for instance, you might have Tommy Tribal where, instead of three random colonists, you start with three colonists who are from a tribal background (maybe taken by slavers) incapable of research and arriving only with clubs. It could be set so that the other factions are also mostly tribal (and also mostly incapable of research, perhaps). It would certainly change the dynamic for that colony.

Or you might go the other way, with Mike Marine, where you start with three well trained fighters, full combat armour and assault rifles, but mostly well-armed Pirate factions and one friendly Outlander town. You've been sent in to establish a tactical bridgehead (build the ship).

Obviously, you can set up these sorts of colonist squads with Prepare Carefully, but it would be the tweaking of the faction conditions and the frequency of the raids that would set each story-teller apart.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

stefanstr

I am kind of hoping for more Storytellers, too. Maybe not so much that idea of restricting possible events but more varied "general conditions". Like a Cassandra without the colonist limit or something. Or a Phoebe with a 3 colonist limit.

Or maybe we could get a custom mode where we could set all the variables ourselves?

Kegereneku

Thank you for your answer Tynan.
I was guessing there isn't enough events as of Alpha version to make such feature meaningful.
But I'm still curious why there isn't a Storyteller with for example no "bad events" at all, which would suppose a classification between good and bad events.

"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !