Auto avoid enemies

Started by Stealth, May 24, 2015, 06:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stealth

IDK if it's already possible but colonists should automatically cancel or find another task if the current one makes them go X squares near an enemy. It doesn't make sense for them to walk 1 tile away from an enemy on their way to haul logs then immediately get killed.

Adamiks

TLHeart

-1000  They are doing what you told them to do... if you are queing up hundreds of jobs to be done, then you deserve to have a pawn walk into the enemy camp. 

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 12:38:59 PM
-1000  They are doing what you told them to do... if you are queing up hundreds of jobs to be done, then you deserve to have a pawn walk into the enemy camp.

Going your logic i should cancel all the buidling plans, forbid all items, close all doors and watch everyone even when i play on Rimsenal Storyteller (week=raid)? Nice suggestion, but no. I told colonists to do X when there are NO ENEMIES ON THE MAP NOT WHEN THEY ARE. Also there are mods like auto-hunt beacon that unforbid corpses on the map. And another example. Player just started building a big something outside his base, after this raid is coming. Do player should cancel all his building plans, or AI should be smarter than this? I will leave you with this.

And when you have a big colony (50+ colonists) you just MUST select hundreds of jobs to be done.

Kegereneku

-0.5 for me

Reason :
I don't draft pawn to make them repair turret or fight fire automatically. If they ran away constantly because they are in range of enemy it would be bothersome.
However, I'm ok for them to run away if hit, then actualize...which should lead them to run directly to the infirmary.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

TLHeart

Quote from: Adamiks on May 25, 2015, 12:51:20 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 12:38:59 PM

Going your logic i should cancel all the buidling plans, forbid all items, close all doors and watch everyone even when i play on Rimsenal Storyteller (week=raid)? Nice suggestion, but no. I told colonists to do X when there are NO ENEMIES ON THE MAP NOT WHEN THEY ARE. Also there are mods like auto-hunt beacon that unforbid corpses on the map. And another example. Player just started building a big something outside his base, after this raid is coming. Do player should cancel all his building plans, or AI should be smarter than this? I will leave you with this.

And when you have a big colony (50+ colonists) you just MUST select hundreds of jobs to be done.

Again, no you don't have to select hundreds of jobs, even with 50+ colonists. 

It is you who needs to be smart, your colonists do what you TELL them to do. When a raid comes, yes that interrupts your plans, and YOU need to adapt your plans and change them, NOT rely upon the AI to change them for you.

The question is, do you play the game, or does the AI play the game for you?

Rimsenal Storyteller???? have no idea what that means.

Stealth

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 25, 2015, 01:40:34 PM
-0.5 for me

Reason :
I don't draft pawn to make them repair turret or fight fire automatically. If they ran away constantly because they are in range of enemy it would be bothersome.
However, I'm ok for them to run away if hit, then actualize...which should lead them to run directly to the infirmary.

Except those sniper mechs one-shot your colonists so that they can't run to the medical bed. Why wouldn't you want them to run away before they get hit? If they're building something, what good is it if they continue building only to get downed in one shot?

To the other guy saying they only do what I say, no they don't. Why would I tell them to go eat a random ration on the ground next to a centipede when I have a freezer full of food? Why would I want them to haul junk to the one stockpile next to the enemy when there's more available in safe spots. Prison architect which is a game that Rimworld gets compared to has this; if there's violence in an area then your workmen will not go there to complete a job until it's safe. You don't have to go and cancel everything. This doesn't mean the "ai is playing for you". If that's the case would you prefer it if had to manually tell all your people to go get food when hungry? Or to go play horseshoes for joy and to go to sleep when tired? By your logic, since the game does it for you, the ai is playing for you. I believe it simply takes away unnecessary micro. I'd like to see the same thing for enemies; anything within a certain player-defined radius should be suspended temporarily, that way you can make it "0" and you can micro all you want. There's literally no downside since you don't have to use it.

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 01:47:47 PM
Again, no you don't have to select hundreds of jobs, even with 50+ colonists. 

It is you who needs to be smart, your colonists do what you TELL them to do. When a raid comes, yes that interrupts your plans, and YOU need to adapt your plans and change them, NOT rely upon the AI to change them for you.

The question is, do you play the game, or does the AI play the game for you?

Rimsenal Storyteller???? have no idea what that means.

"Again, no you don't have to select hundreds of jobs, even with 50+ colonists."

Please don't tell me things like this, because i already have colony like this and i know better. For example i have colonist who can do X things but can't do A things, so i must select more jobs for colonists/droids (droids can do 1 type of job) if i don't want have 20+ idle colonists. "example job" for this is hunting - i have a lot of colonists who are only soldiers. I use auto-hunt beacon to auto-hunt so they just hunting 24/7 and even when i disable auto-hunt beacon animals are still selected for hunting.

"It is you who needs to be smart, your colonists do what you TELL them to do. When a raid comes, yes that interrupts your plans, and YOU need to adapt your plans and change them, NOT rely upon the AI to change them for you."

AI is for changing things like this for me. Do we need tell colonists HOW/WHEN/WHERE they should go? No, AI do this (mostly). Do i need to tell them to make bills? No AI tell them. Do i need to tell them to attack? No, AI DO THIS.

"The question is, do you play the game, or does the AI play the game for you?"

Ok, from this moment i will control colonists 24/7. They will can't go eat, because i will need tell them to do this. They will can sleep only when i'll tell them to do this. They'll can go take a shit ONLY WHEN I WILL TELL THEM TO DO THIS.

Nice idea!

"Rimsenal Storyteller???? have no idea what that means."
Storyteller from Rimsenal mod. This storyteller will send raiders after 7 days (week). Like you see i just CAN'T change plans after 7 days in game and i don't even should do it, because AI IS FOR THIS. AI is for support. AI should support player, not play game for him. Support = Smart Colonists that are smarter than potatoes that they collect.

TLHeart

I play with colonies of 50+, non modded, and modded. I dont need 100s of jobs qued up to keep them productive, doing what I want them to do.

Wanting the AI to make MAJOR decisions for you, is a stupid idea. A major decision is what do we do when we are being raided? 

The colonist do what you tell them to do... it all depends on how YOU set up the bills, set up the stock piles, and WHERE you set them up. They follow your orders very well.  They may not due what you expect them to do, until you understand how they determine where to haul something, or where to get the supplies to do their job.  The tools are there NOW, in the vanilla game.

Modded games always bring unexpected results, that are not part of the vanilla game, no matter how great the mod is.

You do control the colonist 24/7 now, if you want to. You can even work them until they drop of exhaustion.

I have NEVER had a colonist walk towards an enemy and get killed. Maybe because I control what they do, and NO I do NOT suspend, or cancel plans. I control the work flow.

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 06:34:05 PM
I play with colonies of 50+, non modded, and modded. I dont need 100s of jobs qued up to keep them productive, doing what I want them to do.

Wanting the AI to make MAJOR decisions for you, is a stupid idea. A major decision is what do we do when we are being raided? 

The colonist do what you tell them to do... it all depends on how YOU set up the bills, set up the stock piles, and WHERE you set them up. They follow your orders very well.  They may not due what you expect them to do, until you understand how they determine where to haul something, or where to get the supplies to do their job.  The tools are there NOW, in the vanilla game.

Modded games always bring unexpected results, that are not part of the vanilla game, no matter how great the mod is.

You do control the colonist 24/7 now, if you want to. You can even work them until they drop of exhaustion.

I have NEVER had a colonist walk towards an enemy and get killed. Maybe because I control what they do, and NO I do NOT suspend, or cancel plans. I control the work flow.

"Wanting the AI to make MAJOR decisions for you, is a stupid idea. A major decision is what do we do when we are being raided?"

Oh, yes and colonists that haul items next to the raiders are in my plans, ya know? it's so MAJOR decision....

"The colonist do what you tell them to do... it all depends on how YOU set up the bills, set up the stock piles, and WHERE you set them up. They follow your orders very well.  They may not due what you expect them to do, until you understand how they determine where to haul something, or where to get the supplies to do their job.  The tools are there NOW, in the vanilla game."

Wrong. I just select the bill. I don't telling them WHEN/HOW they should make these bills. And this is most important part. And if i can't control them in this situation AI should support me (read: no stupid colonists).

"You do control the colonist 24/7 now, if you want to. You can even work them until they drop of exhaustion."

Yes, IF I WANT TO. I can't control 24/7 50+ colonists. In this situation AI is the best player.

"I have NEVER had a colonist walk towards an enemy and get killed. Maybe because I control what they do, and NO I do NOT suspend, or cancel plans. I control the work flow."

I know why. Because you just told them to be in the base, and you closed doors/controled all colonists. If you think this is a good way to play - no comment. If i need to control someone i play in Sims. Rimworld isn't a game about controlling colonists, colonists are just tools for this what you want to do. You don't need to care about every tool. They should KNOW how to care about yourselfs so player will can play in Dwarf Fortress-like style game.

TLHeart

I play with OPEN base designs, and my last one had NO turrets. I lost 5 colonist over 4 years of game play, on cassandra extreme. I had 60 colonist from year 2 on..

But this whole suggestions comes from playing a modded game.

And now you want to change the base game so that you can play easier in a modded game...

NO, sorry but NO....

I have NEVER locked my colonist into a base. Not my style.  I will also never play the raid every 7 days mod, again, not what I want to play..

Want changes made so that mod is easier, then make that request to the modder, not to the vanilla game.

And you do tell them when and what to do with the bills, and who does the job, and where they get the supplies, and where the finished product goes... all part of the work flow.  And if you have it set up to walk into the enemy camp, that is what they will do, because you told them to. And YOU even decide when the work gets done, by the work flow of supplies, and the time tables.

Don't want to understand how the AI works, that is your problem.... Want to make a suggestion based upon the VANILLA game play, great.

Want to make major changes to the vanilla game, based upon modded play, to only help with the modded play, not good.

Stealth

Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 07:10:18 PM
I play with OPEN base designs, and my last one had NO turrets. I lost 5 colonist over 4 years of game play, on cassandra extreme. I had 60 colonist from year 2 on..

And now you want to change the base game so that you can play easier in a modded game...

NO, sorry but NO....

I have NEVER locked my colonist into a base. Not my style.  I will also never play the raid every 7 days mod, again, not what I want to play..

Want changes made so that mod is easier, then make that request to the modder, not to the vanilla game.

And you do tell them when and what to do with the bills, and who does the job, and where they get the supplies, and where the finished product goes... all part of the work flow.  And if you have it set up to walk into the enemy camp, that is what they will do, because you told them to. And YOU even decide when the work gets done, by the work flow of supplies, and the time tables.

Don't want to understand how the AI works, that is your problem.... Want to make a suggestion based upon the VANILLA game play, great.

Want to make major changes to the vanilla game, based upon modded play, to only help with the modded play, not good.

Having your colonists not walk into 3 centipedes is a not a major decision. The dev even said he wanted something like this for a while but didn't know how to implement it. If your base is attacked and things get damaged, they automatically go and fix it. As a result you have to remove the "home zone" from the area. If they're building something and they're closer to supplies that are near enemies who are camping (think crashed ships) they will go there to get the supplies. IDK why the idea of a restricted area is so hard for you to understand or how "the game is playing for you". If you can designate a home region, you should be able to designate a restricted area because they go off and haul stuff across the map when they get around to it and if you pinged it days ago you may have forgotten only to realize they chose to haul stuff when there's enemies there...

I suppose since YOU won't use a feature, then no one can.

Quote from: Tynan on May 11, 2015, 02:12:47 AM
I've had the desire for a long time now to have them avoid this sort of thing. But it's a tricky AI problem to say the least. There's significant geometric analysis that has to be done on a changing situation. So it just hasn't been addressed so far.

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on May 25, 2015, 07:10:18 PM

NO, sorry but NO....

Sweet Jesus..... I think you just don't understand for what AI even is in games like Rimworld. Rimworld isn't Call of Duty. You don't control only 1 person you control +50 people. For this is AI - for "playing" as enemies and for supporting the player, human is just human, we don't have 10 arms, and we can't control EVERYTHING. Goodbye.

Kegereneku

Quote from: Stealth on May 25, 2015, 02:22:21 PM

Except those sniper mechs one-shot your colonists so that they can't run to the medical bed. Why wouldn't you want them to run away before they get hit? If they're building something, what good is it if they continue building only to get downed in one shot?

I gave you the reason. It would break pawn predictability and my planning.
Your hypothetical situation is pointless on me because as soon as an attack come I would have drafted anybody at risk and got them somewhere safe. Plus I consider dramatic storytelling for a pawn to not be aware it will be sniped.
Similarly to TLHeart I also don't pile up thousand of working order then blame the game for problem I was in full control to solve and intended to. The game even have a pause button.

A better failsafe solution I see to avoid unforeseen consequences is to have them refresh task an get back be treated place as soon as they are hurts. Whereas a pawn that with auto-avoid would likely just get stuck in a avoidance loop if the things he want is precisely where hostile are.

Another simple solution to this could be "Forbidden zone" with, say, a special setting to keep a radius centered on some hostiles. Same result, but more predictable.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Adamiks

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 26, 2015, 07:57:20 AM
I gave you the reason. It would break pawn predictability and my planning.
Your hypothetical situation is pointless on me because as soon as an attack come I would have drafted anybody at risk and got them somewhere safe. Plus I consider dramatic storytelling for a pawn to not be aware it will be sniped.
Similarly to TLHeart I also don't pile up thousand of working order then blame the game for problem I was in full control to solve and intended to. The game even have a pause button.

A better failsafe solution I see to avoid unforeseen consequences is to have them refresh task an get back be treated place as soon as they are hurts. Whereas a pawn that with auto-avoid would likely just get stuck in a avoidance loop if the things he want is precisely where hostile are.

Another simple solution to this could be "Forbidden zone" with, say, a special setting to keep a radius centered on some hostiles. Same result, but more predictable.

I think that "beauty-like" button would make it nice working. For example if you have a master plan that include dead colonists you will can just switch it off or the better idea is forbidden zone.For players like TLHeart this would be great, because he would have a simulation that AI don't help him in this situation (when AI also = forbidden zone).