Where can I get the list of trader/company names ?

Started by b0rsuk, May 27, 2015, 05:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

I'm writing a CRM app and could use some interesting initial data. I remember Rimworld had some amusing and creepy company names. I'm computer literate, a programmer. If you simply point me at some file(s), I will get strings from it.

Colonist names could also come in handy. Anything to throw my potential future employer off-balance, really. List of colonist backgrounds, etc.

Adamiks

In Mods->Core->Languages->English->Strings->NameBanks->Names_Business

Tynan

The root for the name generator is Mods/Core/Defs/RulePackDefs/NameGenerators_Trader.xmls

But yes most of the source words are in the file linked by Adamiks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shinzy

Quote from: Tynan on May 31, 2015, 11:47:22 PM
The root for the name generator is Mods/Core/Defs/RulePackDefs/NameGenerators_Trader.xmls

But yes most of the source words are in the file linked by Adamiks.

SO THAT'S where you hid the string files OH my god do I feel silly now
(I used a good hour to move my old name makers from txt in the rulepacks and add all the 'li's and ->'s and everything cause I couldn't figure out the path for them)

b0rsuk

There's no such file in my RimWorld alpha10f directory. It's pure vanilla.

b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$ ls ~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Defs/RulePackDefs/
RulePacks_DescriptionMakers_Art.xml  RulePacks_NameMakers_Art.xml       RulePacks_NameMakers_People.xml   RulePacks_NameMaker_World.xml  RulePacks_Utility.xml
RulePacks_Global.xml                 RulePacks_NameMakers_Factions.xml  RulePacks_NameMakers_Traders.xml  RulePacks_TalelessImages.xml
b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$ find /home/b0rsuk/Gry/Rimworld10f/ -type f -name '*NameGenerators_Trader*'
b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$

Shinzy

The names are in the path underlined with green here
and the "code" if you will that handles the "randomizing" of the naming process is in the path underlined with orange ;D

Tynan

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 01, 2015, 09:18:31 AM

There's no such file in my RimWorld alpha10f directory. It's pure vanilla.

b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$ ls ~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Defs/RulePackDefs/
RulePacks_DescriptionMakers_Art.xml  RulePacks_NameMakers_Art.xml       RulePacks_NameMakers_People.xml   RulePacks_NameMaker_World.xml  RulePacks_Utility.xml
RulePacks_Global.xml                 RulePacks_NameMakers_Factions.xml  RulePacks_NameMakers_Traders.xml  RulePacks_TalelessImages.xml
b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$ find /home/b0rsuk/Gry/Rimworld10f/ -type f -name '*NameGenerators_Trader*'
b0rsuk@Meronia:~/Gry/Rimworld10f/Mods/Core/Languages/English/Strings/NameBanks$

It's in the A11 test build you have access to.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

asanbr

I found this thread when googling for the same thing. The company names are no longer in the suggested folder. Does anyone know where they are in the current version?

Shinzy

If you're looking for the txt files they're spread out a little as the trader names are constructed out of multiple parts

Languages -> Strings -> Words -> Nouns has BusinessTypes.txt
and
Languages -> Strings -> Names has Business.txt
but they also use quite a few other txt files for some trader names like the animals and vegetables etc.