Workzones instead of Jobs

Started by Kolljak, May 28, 2015, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolljak

To explain this instead of having jobs have workzones and assign people to said work zones.
Example 1.
Doctors assigned to medical area's they would travel there during "work" time schedual. and do watever needs to be done in that area wether it be healing making meds or crafting prostetic limbs.
Example 2.
Construction workers Set to individual projects to no longer be hopping back and forth wasting materials on projects that dont need to be done immediatly.
Example 3.
Cooks and Growers being seperated.

Final Conclusion.

This idea would help reduce the clutter of the Workgiver menu as currently its kind of a mess. tho the work giver would still be needed for patient firefighter and flicker. but it would reduce the massive amount of jobs freeing up that menu for more sub things. such as guard or something.

Adamiks

Hmm.... +1 for zones + normal job system (less micromanagement), but -1 for zones instead jobs (a LOT of micromanagement).

Kolljak

Well there is some jobs that cant be micromanaged by workzones as they have no work place to take part in or rapidly changing work zones such as firefighter patient and flip but with work zones you could make diffrent jobs of said type such as Guard whos job is to remain on watch for enemies or man static weapons or animal breeding jobs its just at the moment the job menu just cant handle any more jobs and i think a workzone "Zone" could add a pulldown tab while the JOBS tab in overview could be used to assign people to that workzone. for instance make a work zone around the fields and then go to overview and assign peeps to that zone. rather then check box's the check box's limit the amount of jobs you can have in a game for the maker of the game. and often i find my doctors making things OTHER then prostetics and medicine.

b0rsuk

I smell even more concentration camp style colonies.

Still, this idea has a lot of potential. It would be REALLY convenient for some types of jobs, for example excellent growers with peg legs, etc. I imagine it would naturally encompass hunting zones people are asking for.

Kolljak

The thing is currently their are to many jobs that require CRAFTING and i would like a more defined way to tell people WHERE and WHAT to craft rather then metal workers suddenly running across the town to make cloth then across agian to make another thing.

Kolljak

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 29, 2015, 11:50:34 AM
I smell even more concentration camp style colonies.

Still, this idea has a lot of potential. It would be REALLY convenient for some types of jobs, for example excellent growers with peg legs, etc. I imagine it would naturally encompass hunting zones people are asking for.

That also brings up another problem :D peg leg people getting lost trynig to walk across the map to mine or something i usualy just tell them to lie down until i get prostisis. so a defined work environment would be ideal for these slow or braindamaged people.