Pruned from Vanilla-friendly fog of war?

Started by TLHeart, May 28, 2015, 02:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

amazing, that the people who vote yes, 12 as of this post have not posted a suggestion, 7 of the 10 against, stated why.

Not near as much support as the poll suggests.

And the poll answer is stated so that even if we voted NO, it assumes we want it in the future, which many have stated NO to also.

And why do you want rimworld to be just like every other game out there? so it can get lost in the fog of similar games, all with the same mechanics, same game play?

Big things that would benefit the game more are trade with the local settlements, interactions with the visitors, where you can provide them with beds, food, beer, chocolate, billiards, chess, horseshoes... and if they like your colony better than theirs, they ask to join.... or they could pay to stay, and wander on home... many possible interactions. All much more dynamic, and story generating, than a surprise attack out of the fog of war.

All of that fits with the back story, and the current direction of the game. The game does need to be a clone of every other game, where it will get lost in the fog of likeness.

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on May 28, 2015, 02:32:35 PM
And the poll answer is stated so that even if we voted NO, it assumes we want it in the future, which many have stated NO to also.

I agree with you. There is no really "true no" answer.

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: Adamiks on May 28, 2015, 05:15:36 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on May 28, 2015, 02:32:35 PM
I agree with you. There is no really "true no" answer.

I don't think that is necessarily an accurate assessment. The question does not seem designed, to me, to make any such assumption. Let's not turn this into another party line debate. In all the FoW polls and debates, probably the most under-represented views are those of the majority of forum members whose attitude is more: Meh... I can't be arsed to get worked up about it.

I think most people (in other words: me) figure that either some enterprising modder will produce something or Tynan will eventually have another crack and the question will become moot. In fact, RimWorld keeps developing and so far, almost every change does seem to improve the game.

This question actually allows those of us who don't want to feel we are being pressured into being either pro or anti FoW, as seems to be the case in many other threads, to indicate what areas of development we would like to see prioritised.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Adamiks

"feel free to start briefly comment what you prefer development time focus on BEFORE FOW!"

But what if i don't want FOW ever? I can't even vote in poll for this! At this point:
yes=yes and now
no=yes but not now

Where is "no=no and never"? Maybe i would like to see full version of Rimworld without FOW (i don't want FOW in my "priorities list")?

At this point 2:
This topic should be named "what you want to see in-game before FOW?"
not "Vanilla-friendly fog of war?"
When i can't even answer this question!

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: Adamiks on May 28, 2015, 05:47:05 PM
"feel free to start briefly comment what you prefer development time focus on BEFORE FOW!"

But what if don't want FOW ever? I can't even vote in poll for this! At this point:
yes=yes and now
no=yes but not now

I think you may be reading this too literally. It's important to avoid picking apart the vocabulary of the OP instead of using a bit of flexibility (for so many people here, English is not a first language, so there are bound to be times when we must give people the benefit of the doubt).

In this case, if you substitute 'before FoW' with 'instead of FoW' or 'rather than FoW', you get a better feel of the intent, I believe.

Adamiks

True story. I'm from Poland and i'm 14 years old, so... yea, i'm don't good at English. Speaking at this forum helps me a bit.
[EDIT]
This is also why i don't really understand C#. In school i'm learning about programs like paint, word etc ;D

Frankenbeasley

Well, your English is pretty good for anyone speaking it as a secondary language, let alone someone of your age! Hehe, there are plenty of British 14 year olds who don't manage to make as much sense as you do.