Keeping prisoners to grind up Social on?

Started by ShadowDragon8685, November 30, 2013, 03:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowDragon8685

Does anyone else do this - keep a prisoner around to have your social monkeys (the nobs and courtesans and con artists, assuming you don't do as I do and put the con artists to work at hard labor,) gab at them, spamming "friendly chats" to grind up their Social abilities?

I've got some poor schmuck of a male con artist locked up in my fortress (which has been since the beginning a girls-only place, just for the hell of it,) and he's constantly being gabbed at by two nobs and three courtesans.

I wonder what the poor bastard must think. (Or what they're doing to him. Bwahahahaha. He loves this place, he's happier than all of my actual colonists.)

Also, if you can stand having someone's labor missing for a bit, the best cure for the sad and grumpies is to be thrown in jail and gabbed at until your loyalty is maxxed out. There's something fundamentally wrong, in a funny, hilarious way, when throwing someone in irons to cure an imminent mental break results in them getting out of your prison happier than they've ever been before.
Raiders must die!

nnescio

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 30, 2013, 03:32:58 AM
Does anyone else do this - keep a prisoner around to have your social monkeys (the nobs and courtesans and con artists, assuming you don't do as I do and put the con artists to work at hard labor,) gab at them, spamming "friendly chats" to grind up their Social abilities?

I've got some poor schmuck of a male con artist locked up in my fortress (which has been since the beginning a girls-only place, just for the hell of it,) and he's constantly being gabbed at by two nobs and three courtesans.

I wonder what the poor bastard must think. (Or what they're doing to him. Bwahahahaha. He loves this place, he's happier than all of my actual colonists.)

Also, if you can stand having someone's labor missing for a bit, the best cure for the sad and grumpies is to be thrown in jail and gabbed at until your loyalty is maxxed out. There's something fundamentally wrong, in a funny, hilarious way, when throwing someone in irons to cure an imminent mental break results in them getting out of your prison happier than they've ever been before.

Yep, I do both. I always think of the latter as mandatory psychiatric treatment (with straitjackets as restraints).

Calistyn

I've arrested a colonist to bring up their social a couple of times, but I think it does more for me than them. Every time I do it, I set something like a dozen others as Wardens and they just get -mobbed-! And then they rejoin the colony in the span of a minute. :D Cracks me up, every time!

Goo Poni

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 30, 2013, 03:32:58 AM
There's something fundamentally wrong, in a funny, hilarious way, when throwing someone in irons to cure an imminent mental break results in them getting out of your prison happier than they've ever been before.
Mental reconditioning~

murlocdummy

Quote from: Goo Poni on December 01, 2013, 12:59:03 AM

Mental reconditioning~

I've never had a problem in my reeducation facilities.  Just like in moderately developed midworlds, I always fill them with flower pots fertilized with the decomposed bodies of my enemies.  Complete with the decomposing bodies of my enemies right next to them. 

It adds a nice touch and a boost to both fear and happiness.