Crematoriums

Started by Vas, May 30, 2015, 02:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

I believe crematoriums should use wood instead of electricity.
I believe crematoriums should use electricity, but be immune to rain.
I believe crematoriums should use electricity, but be immune to rain if made of stone.
I believe crematoriums should use stay as they are now.
I don't care, so I want whatever everyone else wants.  (The highest vote)

Vas

I believe that crematoriums should use wood to burn bodies, and should not be using any electricity.  We don't use electricity for our current real life versions, why use it for these?  In real life, we use some sort of gas and fire but the point is still the same really.  All it is, is an oven.  You throw wood in, and a dead guy in, and they burn.  No electricity needed.

Even the electric ones should stop shorting out in rain, there is a possibility of making things water proof and you'd think something like this would be made water proof.  I just think it makes no sense to cost electricity for this thing to work.

Also would like it to store an internal value of wood, so you can stock pile a stack of wood inside it and it uses one wood each time you throw a body in, and then you either have to right click it to click fill, or wait till it runs out and then a colonist will auto fill it.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Shinzy

having to use a wood is a bother, really =P
you don't need to stock up electricity the same way as you need to do with wood so
it's just more convenient as it is

Vas

So you prefer lazy illogical way.  Ok.  Well.  Go build a 100% total electric furnace right now, and throw some meat in it and tell me how long it takes to burn it to ash with nothing but electricity.  And then tell me how much electricity it took.

Also, if it is done the way I said, it's not a "bother".  If it stores the wood inside, it only needs to be re-loaded every 75 dead people you throw in.  That's SEVENTY FIVE.  It'd take like a year to get that many early game.

Also, electricity is even more of a bother.  You have to tick the thing off each time you finish with it, or you need lots of geothermals, wind power, solar power, to keep it all going 24/7.  Or you need sufficient power generation day time, and batteries and then you get the nukesplosionbatteryillogicalexplode event that destroys the universe randomly because conduits exploding like antimatter bombs at random for no reason whatsoever is totally logical.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Adamiks

-1. 5500 year = electric furnaces.

Frankenbeasley

I find it bizarre that we build crematoria in any case; it seems so specific and unwieldy. I would rather that it be renamed to 'Furnace' and make the base version a wood-burning affair. You could run it on a low-fuel setting for heat, and ramp it up for cremations. Later, you should research smelting to be able to turn it into an electric furnace/smelter. Then we can do away with the smelter entirely and all of the cremation, trash disposal, and smelting can go on in the Furnace Room.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

RickyMartini

An electric furnace is ok, but what is the cost of it anyway? Building 4 little walls around it to prevent a shortcut isn't much work anyway.

Vas

Quote from: Adamiks on May 30, 2015, 03:21:40 PM
-1. 5500 year = electric furnaces.

Yea, and in the year 5500, we will have black hole generators, immortality potions, dragons, and be able to divide by zero.  Right?

Elixiar

I don't see the problem with them now it just makes sense game wise, they use quite a lot of power too.

Although if they ran off wood it would be nice to have something else to use a hopper for. And in that case it wouldn't cause electrical fault obviously and could be kept outside. :)

It's pretty okay now though.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

keylocke

-1. for deserts and ice sheets. which doesn't have much trees to begin with.

but then again, since i tend to butcher corpses, the only point of crematoriums for me are for the rotten corpses and bones i've derped from butchering.

MrWiggles

It couldnt escape using electricity if you're using wood anyway. To get fire, with wood fuel, hot enough, it would require bellows. And why would the colonist ever want to use bellows when they can just make a fan?

Vas

So, how did they burn bodies of fallen knights back in the midevil days?  There are two ways they did it, I recall seeing in the show Merlin even.  A stack of wood built like a wall bit to put the body on, was one.  The other, was to put them in a boat, and set the boat on fire.  They used much less wood than the pile for a knight, when burning witches too, and all they used, was wood, and maybe a slight bit of oil or fuel of some type to start the fire.  They didn't need technology or electricity to do it.

RickyMartini

What.... why are you changing subject so much? Yes of course it was much more efficient than people think to burn witches and knights with wood and cremate them. But gameplay wise, the crematorium is powered with electricity. Todays crematoriums are also very similar to those in Rimworld, and the only thing you want to have to cremate someone is a high temperature to get rid of the flesh.

b0rsuk

Wood-burning crematories would be an extravagant luxury in desert biomes. Deserts have both little soil and tiny amount of wood. I don't think you can bury people in the sand. And desert is one of the few cases where burning corpses would actually be useful ! So go ahead, change crematorium for the sake of realism, making them next to useless from the gameplay point of view. Good job.

Vas

Changing the subject?  I mentioned wood burning cremations in midevil times as proof wood burning can do it.  Current day crematoriums don't use electricity, they use a gas, putting the person in a chamber, then activate the gas furnace and it sprays fire at them till they are nothing but ash, the super fast way to cremate a body down to the bones.

I've gotten plenty of wood in a desert as well.  Traders sell the stuff dirt cheap for one, cactuses have it too, and you can grow trees on growable areas.

MrWiggles

Well, your historical information on funeral pyres is a wiii bit spotty. The whole boat thing, being put on wood pile, while they did happen, didnt cremate the corpse. Its was more of an honor thing. For the boat thing, it just sank into the body of water but funeral pyre, they still had to bury the remains. The pyre was done as a funeral services and honoring the dead.

As for burning witches... that didnt really happen. I think there was one or two cases where it did happen, but by and large it didnt happen.

And you're talking about getting something to 1.8k fahrenheit, is going to require feeding the fire rather aggressively. That means bellows. But the colonists are capable of making fans... so then just make fans and that use electricity.