Manufacturing System

Started by Spike, October 06, 2013, 01:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Quote from: GC13 on October 06, 2013, 09:53:02 PM
Well, if Ty wanted to differentiate RimWorld from Dwarf Fortress, he certainly could do so with an abstracted manufacturing system.

I think this is the stutter right now in a lot of people's minds. I've read that Ty's intent was for this game to be DF in space (or the poster referenced a post on the Bay12 forums that said that), I'd have to go find the post that references it but I think it's in the Suggestions & Concerns thread. There is a schism there. There are the simulationist DF players that are here expecting something similar to that, then there is the people who say 'well this isn't DF, PA, FTL, etc.'. I'd like to see what Ty has to say about influence vs. actual possible implementation. Unless it has already been stated, then please someone link me up.

I found this concerning building options later on:

Gargrant

He, Tynan, has two explicit points about DF's influence on the main KickStarter page:

QuoteI've always thought the best part of games like Dwarf Fortress and The Sims was the stories that come out of them. That's why RimWorld is designed as a story generator. It's not about winning and losing - it's about the drama, tragedy, and comedy that goes on in your colony.

Which suggests what's he primarily interested in is the ability to make your own stories, of which DF and the Sims both excel.

Then he says this, more directly to the question:
QuoteIn terms of game design, the game draws most from the 800-pound gorilla of the simulation genre, Dwarf Fortress. We also take ideas from indie hits like FTL (our semi-random event format) and Prison Architect (its way of presenting a complex world in a comprehensible, interactive way). And, there are many others.

So yes, Dwarf Fortress is, indeed, meant to be an inspiration.

GC13

The thing that makes this an open question, though, is that he also wants to do his own thing rather than simply rip off of Dwarf Fortress. And frankly, I think you could make a great and detailed simulation that was more fun for the absence of production chains.

oasis789

First off, how are the colonists building these structures and mining out rock without tools? So we have to accept that they possess tools like cutters, welders and the like, but can't be used as weapons? And this is stuff they crash landed in an escape pod with? And they know how to work this stuff?

AspenShadow

Quote from: oasis789 on October 06, 2013, 11:40:01 PM
First off, how are the colonists building these structures and mining out rock without tools? So we have to accept that they possess tools like cutters, welders and the like, but can't be used as weapons? And this is stuff they crash landed in an escape pod with? And they know how to work this stuff?

In a game like this we simply can't go that in-depth with it in terms of rationale.
Even the serfs know how to work basic machinery and rock is currently not in the game, only metal (some types of which can be extracted out of rock ore using only two diodes and a high temperature to melt it down).

Glymner

Well criminal elements would like you having slaves and all. And you can charge more for handmade firearms etc. Setting up a automated assembly line that is capable of retooling it self, seems like it should be pretty far into the game.

British

Quote from: Nero on October 06, 2013, 10:36:41 PM
I've read that Ty's intent was for this game to be DF in space (...)
DF is more of a reference than a goal.

To quote Tynan on Bay12 forums:
"At the most basic level, this is Dwarf Fortress in space. There are a lot of differences in the details."

Zeiph

Like I said before, pushing the question of feasability (in term of realism) sometimes pushes the game in a wrong direction gameplaywise. I mean do we even question the fact the character punches tree in order to obtain wood in minecraft? no, because it's fun !

The same would be true for rimworld, I mean in real life if you were stranded on a moon:
1) you would be dead, because the low gravity of most moons doesn't allow for an atmosphere, and even so mostly not liveable
2) even if you survived the crash and the potential lack of oxygen, it would take weeks with DIY tools to dig a simple room in the rock
3) this game is driven by a story, do every narrator really get in the details on how everything works? will the player even question it if the whole game was based on some simplifications?

Then on that, adding some sort of tier availability system adds both to the gameplay and to the narration, as improving the possibilities of the colony is a challenge in itself and may provide the player with powerful tools for the continuation.

DNK

Quote from: Nero on October 06, 2013, 10:36:41 PMI think this is the stutter right now in a lot of people's minds. I've read that Ty's intent was for this game to be DF in space (or the poster referenced a post on the Bay12 forums that said that),
Twas I!

It's actually the title of the thread he made at the bay12 forums. That said, it's a thread in the DF forums, so some marketing spin might just have been used there ;)

Still, I'd like to see a clear position on this, particularly a clear list of productions or a production tree. This is the 1 thing holding me back currently from putting in money, though I guess Tynan's got all he needs and then some...

imacds

I think that "DF does it like this this is how it must be done here" is not a good argument to get anything into the game, but neither is "DF did this and this game is not trying to be DF so it can't do that". I would imagine, based on the current feel of the game (playthroughs), that it deserves a pseudo industry, but I don't know the right answer. A lot of things, like whether minerals turn to metal by mining or smelting, are quirks for Tynan to decide; we will adapt to it working either way. Guns, bullets and missiles might be exclusively bought/looted, they might require significant investments in gunsmithing and gunpowder/explosive synthesis, or they might all be made from metal at the workshop after a research is completed.
There needs to be a balancing and enforcing relationship in this game between the player doing things by himself like research, construction, and possibly industry, and the storyteller sending obstacles, assistance, and variety at the player for the experience to be complete. Too much of industry and the game risks loosing the story element; too much story and the game risks annoying and taking away the player's control.

AdamBlackbird

Quote from: Jakadasnake on October 06, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: GC13 on October 06, 2013, 02:03:18 PM
The game's fiction even offers us a chance for starting at a more rudimentary tech level, where even building up to solar panels would be regarded by the player as a success.

One of the ideas is also having to deal with rival tribes on the planet. Well, if we're forced to start at their tech level and have to bootstrap our industry up to the point where we can make firearms, we'd be using more of that range of technology.

I'm not necessarily hoping for an industry chain as involved as Gnomoria's (or Dwarf Fortress's, I guess), but the fiction gives room for it to be a possibility to start from so far back. Really, however we get the more things to build I think it can be executed well.

Personally, I would love this. This is one of the little touches that I think we're sort of missing for now. The base-building is amazing, but would be so much more gratifying if it didn't feel like there was a skipped step in there. Like, day 1 within a couple hours my colonists go from mats on the ground to an air-conditioned home. I really want to feel that hunt/gather stage. I want it to challenge my colonists and tie them together through adversity. I want to earn the good life.

I couldn't agree with this more. In watching a gameplay video, what hit me hardest in terms of the oversimplified production was that as soon as they landed they were able to throw together solar panels from a bit of scrap metal. I feel like power should need to be earned, and I really like the idea of having that sharp contrast of the high and low tech working together, which I think is massively important for the space western vibe. You need to prioritize what you need to be done in a high-tech way, and fill in the gaps with low tech. I envision myself using my first bit of rinky-dink salvaged tech on a generator to get the coms up - if people want light they can live with torches for now!

This would also make disastrous situations in the later game more interesting. If some part of the high-tech chain falls apart in a raid and the people who know how to work it well are dead, you will probably need to try to fill in the gaps with low-tech stuff to keep your people alive while a replacement is worked on. I think that could lead to some interesting dramatic tension.

EDIT: Another thing I thought to mention: in management/survival games, I feel it's an absolute must that everything be at least possible to be created by the player. While it is definitely nice to have some high-level stuff much more easily acquired from traders and the like (I'm hoping there will be plasma rifles! :D), it should always be available through your own resources, even if at the end of a grueling research tree. That, combined with the above ideas, really plays up the importance of how you choose to specialize (or not) - pushing for high-tech generation of specific goods to then supplement the rest with high-tech goods brought in through trade might mean more rapid advancement, but then you become dependent on the traders bringing the right goods. Alternatively, a self-sufficient, balanced approach would no doubt mean a more slow and steady advancement.

Nemo

how about a crafter system?

-crafting bench
-resources = organic, metal, chemical
- each resource has a grade 1-8 representing tech level e.g. grade 6 metal = titanium, superalloys etc. while grade 1 organic represents bone, hide (leather grade 2) etc.
- each item in the game has a crafting cost which will have to be met to produce it
- the maximum points a person can produce is dependant on there: crafting skill, grade of materials used, ingredients and time.
- e.g. starting with level 10 crafter (which I know is impossible) you would be able to just be able to build some basic pre industrial age goods (would take a long time) with grade 1 goods. Oafs would have a skill limited at level 3 and would only be able to produce basic farming tools when you get mid grade materials.
- ingredients represent ('special' materials such as silicon for steel) involves going to an area and gathering (number of times this has to be done depends on crafting cost)
- the grade of goods can be upgraded (has crafting cost) but building certain buildings allows you to instantly upgrade grade 1 goods for a small cost e.g. syn gas plant to grade 5 (oaf can run it just not build it)

other stuff
- higher grade stuff is valuable pirates would try and steal it but can also sell it to traders
- stuff can be converted to materials early guns would probably be more valuable for the goods that can be made from their metal (gun or new surgical tools, water pump, gas lamp?)
- organics from animals or trees, metal from mining and chemical from doing both
-power sources decrease the cost e.g. connecting hydraulic pipes or power conduit to the table can take third of half off the cost
-research e.g. punch card, CAD, intelligent system decreases the cost

Tobman10

I like these ideas, and all the possibilities that could happen. I think that you could start to build small buildings like a basic machine shop, then growing in tech and knowledge (via research, capturing/interrogating people, learning from traders, ect.) you could build like a robot factory or something. This could be a skill that people could get and the better the skill rank the better the quality or quantity of the item your building. Also, i was thinking that you could have a way to build weapons. (you could make basic weapons in a machine shop, and then the more complex the weapon, you would have to build a higher tier building like to a blacksmith, then a gunsmith, ect.)  You could start off only knowing how to build a pistol, but by taking weapons from raiders and trading weapons you could learn to build those weapons that you get, and also maybe discover ways to make new weapons.
-Tob :)

BrendanBrady

Quote from: GC13 on October 06, 2013, 02:03:18 PM
The game's fiction even offers us a chance for starting at a more rudimentary tech level, where even building up to solar panel would be regarded by the player as a success.

One of the ideas is also having to deal with rival tribes on the planet. Well, if we're forced to start at their tech level and have to bootstrap our industry up to the point where we can make firearms, we'd be using more of that range of technology.

I'm not necessarily hoping for an industry chain as involved as Gnomoria's (or Dwarf Fortress's, I guess), but the fiction gives room for it to be a possibility to start from so far back. Really, however we get the more things to build I think it can be executed well.

I hope they are able to build panels from raw materials..In general these panels are bit expensive with little efficiency.

monkhouse

I think crafting/manufacturing could be split into roughly three categories:

• Utility Objects: chairs, tables, beds etc. To be honest this could stay as it is, made on the spot by any colonist. Not a lot of drama in making plant pots. Alternatively they could be created by an all-purpose 'fabricator', with the operator's crafting skill determining the speed of construction/quality.

• Trade Goods: anything from handicrafts to illegal VR chips. These should require a workstation and an assigned colonist. Workstation may as well be all-purpose, but limit craft options to the colonist's skill/background - a former pirate chemist could make drugs, a shipwright could produce repair parts, etc. Everyone can make 'handicrafts,' tho their value is tied to crafting skill - and perhaps secondary skills or backgrounds (a medieval oaf can stitch together a quaint harvest charm, while the glitterworld debutante fulfils her ambition to design a range of fashionable scarves)

• Infrastructure Projects: these should be special. Getting the geothermal generator going or the first hydroponics farm set up would be a big moment for a young colony, not just something Jane the Con Artist throws together on her way between cleaning blood off the driveway and filling up the 'tater hopper. Perhaps require an engineer to 'build' the blueprint using his construction skill, while someone else builds the parts at the fabricator, then the parts are hauled over, requiring multiple colonists. When everything's in place, the engineer gives it a once over then turns it on. And when it doesn't quite work as expected... well, the engineer hadn't slept in three days and the crafter watched his best friend get his face blown off the day before, and the hauler slipped on that driveway blood that nobody bothered to clean up and dropped the microcombobulator, so... who's fault is it really?
On a side note: it may be a mad dream, but I'd love to see important machinery get a bit of personality, even have pseudo-relationships with the colonists like Kaylee in the engine room in Firefly. I mean everyone's out in the middle of nowhere, if you do manage to scrape together a solar generator it's going to be on a wing and a prayer, and it's not going to last forever. When the old girl finally packs in and gets dismantled, think of the poor schlub who's been tightening her bolts and wiping her panels clean and putting the shades up when the damn thing overheats again for the tenth time this summer... well he's going to be a bit off his game. Who knows with everything else that's been happening, it just might just push him over the edge...