Tynan can you explain the patch notes?

Started by Ramsis, June 02, 2015, 09:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Might be accidentally the best feature for a11.  8)

TLHeart

I applaud this approach, of setting zones to be in.

Play2Jens

Quote from: TLHeart on June 02, 2015, 06:29:22 PM
I applaud this approach, of setting zones to be in.

Finally, you have seen the light  ;D

Boboid

Now if only we could get actual people to obey these kinds of zones in real life :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Shinzy

Quote from: Boboid on June 02, 2015, 06:49:47 PM
Now if only we could get actual people to obey these kinds of zones in real life :P
you mean like bathrooms?

Boboid

Quote from: Shinzy on June 02, 2015, 07:10:05 PM
you mean like bathrooms?
Exactly like bathrooms.
You need only be stuck in an airport for 6 hours to discover that even basic signage is often completely ignored :D
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Boboid on June 02, 2015, 08:23:33 PM
Quote from: Shinzy on June 02, 2015, 07:10:05 PM
you mean like bathrooms?
Exactly like bathrooms.
You need only be stuck in an airport for 6 hours to discover that even basic signage is often completely ignored :D
Reading NotAlwaysRight.com, I'd surmise that if you work in retail, you don't have to wait long until you see your first instance of basic sign ignoring.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Rahjital

So if I want to prevent the pawn from going to a certain area, I need to select the entire map except the area I don't want them to go in? That's pretty awful :(

RickyMartini

Quote from: Rahjital on June 03, 2015, 06:31:34 AM
So if I want to prevent the pawn from going to a certain area, I need to select the entire map except the area I don't want them to go in? That's pretty awful :(

Nope, you only restrict them when you want. ;)

Rahjital

Yeah, but I usually want to restrict them from an area, not to an area. The new area system is not very useful in that regard.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Rahjital on June 03, 2015, 07:53:40 AM
Yeah, but I usually want to restrict them from an area, not to an area.

Well, that is a bit of a logical fallacy since restricting colonists from an area is just the negative contrast to the allowed area concept.

With your idea you would have to paint the whole map and say "don't go there". With restricted area you don't have to paint much. You paint exactly where you want them to go; It has the same effect.

keylocke

i hope the work schedule would also be integrated with the new user defined zones?

like for example : if you assign "patrol" or "guard" to their work schedule, then those pawns will wander around the areas that are assigned as "patrol zones" or "guard zones", for the time allotted in their schedule.

it would also be cool to have "visitor" zones and visitors will interact with the items in that zone as if they own it (ie : they can sleep in beds, eat from stockpiles, etc. as long as it is within the visitor zone), it would be cooler if you can assign different factions to different zones so they don't accidentally butcher each other if they are hostile against one another) (also, visitors that have high morale inside visitor zones might randomly drop silver on the floor or something)

hunting zones where you can specify which colonist can hunt in which zones. this way players can manage multiple hunters and keep them far away from each other so they don't do friendly fire. (animals that wander inside hunting zones will be automatically assigned for hunting for the assigned pawn, and if the animal wander out of a hunting zone, then their hunting designation will be automatically turned off)

joy zones : they will only pursue joy activities that are available in the allowed zone.

etc..

-----------------------------

but generally the main feature i'm looking forward to in a zoning system is "pawn restricted/allowed designations", which can assign which pawns can enter which areas.

since this can be used in many ways, like assigning pawns to workstations etc.

Rahjital

Quote from: Skissor on June 03, 2015, 08:27:51 AM
restricting colonists from an area is just the negative contrast to the allowed area concept.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to say the entire time, haha

Quote from: Skissor on June 03, 2015, 08:27:51 AMWith your idea you would have to paint the whole map and say "don't go there". With restricted area you don't have to paint much. You paint exactly where you want them to go; It has the same effect.

With "restricted" area, you would have to paint a "wall" around where you want your colonists to go.

I would like to have both, though. Personally I don't find the ability to restrict colonists to a certain area too useful, but I know other's will use it. I would just like to see a way to forbid an area.

RickyMartini

I don't know, I see dozens of good reasons to restrict colonists to an area, what reason would you have to make a forbidden zone for colonists?

Quote from: Rahjital on June 03, 2015, 09:17:36 AM
I would just like to see a way to forbid an area.

Paint the whole map with an area and erase the part you want forbidden -> et voilà, forbidden zone created! You're a private tester, you can even do this right now, only takes a minute. ^^

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Skissor on June 03, 2015, 10:23:46 AM
I don't know, I see dozens of good reasons to restrict colonists to an area, what reason would you have to make a forbidden zone for colonists?

Quote from: Rahjital on June 03, 2015, 09:17:36 AM
I would just like to see a way to forbid an area.

Paint the whole map with an area and erase the part you want forbidden -> et voilà, forbidden zone created! You're a private tester, you can even do this right now, only takes a minute. ^^

The idea is if you have a siege and don't want your colonists to go near, you can throw up a quick "no-go" zone around them instead of having to zone off the whole map and then delete the area round them.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...