Tynan This is just for us consumers of Rimworld to ask you questions.

Started by tylers2001, June 02, 2015, 08:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylers2001

So as the title says this is for us people of Rimworld from refugees to raiders to ask you questions of what is coming in the next update and maybe some details about some additions.
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

tylers2001

My first question is can you give us a bit of an explanation of the next update in Rimworld like details such as adding joy in that update?
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Bob_Namg

Quote from: tylers2001 on June 02, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
So as the title says this is for us people of Rimworld from refugees to raiders to ask you questions of what is coming in the next update and maybe some details about some additions.
There is an IRC where you can ask Tynan about stuff, tylers2001.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

Tynan

Quote from: Bob_Namg on June 02, 2015, 08:18:44 PM
Quote from: tylers2001 on June 02, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
There is an IRC where you can ask Tynan about stuff, tylers2001.

I don't tend to be on IRC actually.

As for the next build, all the basic info is in my changelog.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

akiceabear

Normally there is a nice YouTube video summarizing the changes with the new alpha, as well as a summary change log. Together with the daily change log that all seems like more than enough for a fan to follow/keep up to date at their preferred level of frequency.

DNK

Might as well try...

Tynan, do you have any interest in adding "area of effect" constructions to the game?
For instance, a "surgical tray table" that improves medical outcomes/speed by 30% for anyone within 4 tiles, or a "happy music loudspeaker" that improves joy/morale to anyone in a room?

There was a discussion in \Suggestions a while back on it. It's one of those things that's nagging me as a crucial piece of the gaming puzzle that's missing still.

akiceabear

Quote from: DNK on June 03, 2015, 08:35:06 AM
Might as well try...

Tynan, do you have any interest in adding "area of effect" constructions to the game?
For instance, a "surgical tray table" that improves medical outcomes/speed by 30% for anyone within 4 tiles, or a "happy music loudspeaker" that improves joy/morale to anyone in a room?

There was a discussion in \Suggestions a while back on it. It's one of those things that's nagging me as a crucial piece of the gaming puzzle that's missing still.

I think this is a good idea - why not spin it off as its own thread?

Elixiar

Wow that's actually a really good idea.
Or have some things with 'room' bonuses so you are not limited as to where you want to place something.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Mystic

Quote from: Elixiar on June 03, 2015, 08:56:24 AM
Wow that's actually a really good idea.
Or have some things with 'room' bonuses so you are not limited as to where you want to place something.

But then how would you determine whether or not something is "in the room" or not?  Not all rooms have doors on all exits, and not all exits are even one square wide.  I personally think the "range" approach (which I agree is a good one) would be easier to implement and explain.

akiceabear

Either way seems technically possible. The game clearly already knows what constitutes a "room" for temperature and prisoner status, for example. A room with no doors could also work, using line of sight (rather than simple radius), which is used continuously for lighting already.

Devon_v

Basically, pirates get way smarter about assaulting your base, you can now set traps, enemy AI doesn't derp as much, nuclear winter and toxic fallout are now weather conditions (sounds like someone detonates a nuke nearby), stealing organs is bad, and you can tell your colonists where the safe places to play are.

Solarstorm45

Honestly guys its all in the changelog half the fun is checking it each day and seeing what Tynan has been working on just look at it and fanboy or girl over what else will be the next day , that along with modding is all i do

DNK

Quote from: akiceabear on June 03, 2015, 08:55:30 AMI think this is a good idea - why not spin it off as its own thread?
Why thank you. Seems a lot of people agree, and I did make it its own thread in Suggestions:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11654.0

The only hard part of implementing it is figuring a way to make a "max benefit per tile" for each building type, so you can't put like 10 of one in a room to make it a "super surgery room".

I suppose it'd be possible to just skip that part for now and use the honor system instead as a stopgap...

I like the synopsis one person gave it:
It's like eye candy with benefits!

milon

Actually, it should be easy. Let it grant 1 non-stacking (de)buff to every colonist/pawn within x tiles.

DNK

Quote from: milon on June 05, 2015, 03:30:42 PM
Actually, it should be easy. Let it grant 1 non-stacking (de)buff to every colonist/pawn within x tiles.
Yeah, I guess so.

So, every tick every pawn checks for "AOE" marked buildings on the map (through a list of such types the engine generates at startup from the loaded files), then calculates the distance to each, then checks their "max distance effect" setting (until at least one of a given type is found, then it deletes the rest of the same time from its distance checks), and if the actual distance is <= then it applies whatever the effect is.

I suppose the above has a lot of room for performance optimization, but it's fairly simple at least, so it's developer optimized.