Ty, Steam Question (and not the one you think)

Started by Granath, June 08, 2015, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Granath

Ty, with the recent refund policy enacted by Steam, does that make you more or less hesitant to put the game on Steam?

I could see it both ways. On the negative side, you have to deal with refunds. Or more appropriately, you don't get the expected income from sales due to refunds. On the positive side, you have fewer trolls or unhappy customers mucking up the forums and therefore it's easier to compile useful game play feedback from those who will stick with the game. You would know that someone who has the game is likely to want to stick with it.

Of course, it may not mean much of anything and may not influence your opinion about when to put Rimworld on Steam either way. But considering Rimworld is not on Steam and thus you have an outsider's view on this issue, I was curious about your opinion.

Devon_v

Steam handles the refunds, it's not something the developer needs to deal with. Also you can only refund a game that you've played for two hours or less, unless you have a really good reason. If someone dislikes Rimworld so much that they give up in less than two hours, just give them the money back. It's more of a "try before you buy, but if your first playthrough sucks you in to the tune of two plus hours, you bought it".

Basically every game on Steam has a two hour demo now. Developers should not rely on "sucker" sales anyway. Make your game worth at least two hours.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Devon_v on June 08, 2015, 01:24:55 PM
Make your game worth at least two hours.

Rimworld is a game worth at least two hundred hours, so I don't see a problem with that :) amirite?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Devon_v