Watch tower

Started by Stealth, June 03, 2015, 06:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stealth

I think it'd be nice if we could make watch towers for our snipers. It would allow them to shoot from an elevated position which could give them a range bonus and allow them to shoot over walls (would work for any ranged weapons).

Kraehe

Adamiks

Euzio

+1

Tynan if you see this, please put this in!

Considering what we can build with this game, having watchtowers or sniper towers would be an awesome choice. And while we're at it, allow us to have a "Guard" option whereby we can designate a colonist to be a tower guard such that he/she will man the watchtower and act as the first line of defence to try and trim or slow raiders down.

Elixiar

Sometimes as a colony gets to a certain size and high population, people get idle as there isn't always a lot of work to do. Being able to assign a 'guard' like said above would be nice if it was a job. Like hunting they would go stand in the watchtower and fire if hostiles came in sight.
It doesn't seem very practical, but it would help with those pesky idle colonists.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

JimmyAgnt007

this has been suggested before, the response from Tynan was that it would involve pseudo z-levels and he wont do that.  if he does z-levels he will go all the way or not at all.

Regret

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 04, 2015, 10:06:35 AM
this has been suggested before, the response from Tynan was that it would involve pseudo z-levels and he wont do that.  if he does z-levels he will go all the way or not at all.
I was thinking something similar, why half-ass z-levels?

Jurgio

Leird

I don't know about Z-levels, but i wouldn't mind if just guard zones where added. Places where you could tell your colonists to stand guard against animals or intruders.

Kraehe

Quote from: Leird on June 06, 2015, 06:53:06 PM
I don't know about Z-levels, but i wouldn't mind if just guard zones where added. Places where you could tell your colonists to stand guard against animals or intruders.

Including other colonists bringing them food and that you can make som kind of guard cycle. So you can play better without improvised turrets.

Leird

Quote from: Kraehe on June 06, 2015, 07:10:48 PM
Quote from: Leird on June 06, 2015, 06:53:06 PM

Including other colonists bringing them food and that you can make som kind of guard cycle. So you can play
better without improvised turrets.

Something like that. Would also make alot of sense to be able to tell your guys to stand guard.

Bodog999

Instead of getting a Z-level why not give colonists a range bonus when they are in it and make projectiles fly like mortars? So they can pass over mountains.

jega

Quote from: Bodog999 on June 07, 2015, 06:29:12 AM
Instead of getting a Z-level why not give colonists a range bonus when they are in it and make projectiles fly like mortars? So they can pass over mountains.
I like the flat range bonus idea. I can see how that could be useful.

Mechanoid Hivemind

You tell them to use it and and they get the ability to shoot over walls and the higher range. But it takes them some time to "climb" the tower or get set up and ready to shoot even put a bed up their cause i like the darkeye deathjacks alot and more times than not i have a better artist or researcher. So they could sleep there. To keep them from being idle. 
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

jamesinar

Make it a sniper nest. The enemy can't see them until they are very close and they get a range and accuracy bonus.