Should turbines produce more power during hard snow?

Started by REMworlder, June 04, 2015, 04:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

Just thought I'd check. I run into a fair amount of weather like hard snow and it seems turbines sometimes get a power boost but not always, and sometimes output is nonexistent. Is this supposed to be the case? I don't remember how absolute the relationship between turbines and weather is supposed to be, and I know there's supposed to be natural variation in output.

http://i.imgur.com/ilDj1DV.jpg

RickyMartini

Makes sense. Plus hard snow kind of sounds like a climate where snow comes down hard and fast with a lot of kinetic wind energy.

REMworlder

Oops my OP is kind of unclear. What I expect to see with turbines in hard snow (or X weather) is a boost in power output, but it doesn't always happen and sometimes a large drop in output happens instead.

Tynan

I'd definitely call this a suggestion so I'll move it there.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vas

Could think of it that the blades are iced and freezing up and need warm weather to melt the ice, or to send a colonist up to it to fix it.  Tynan could add a "blades frozen" feature to wind mills and require a colonist with the flick job or perhaps some alternate order like cleaning, to go clean the windmill with a chance of falling and sustaining injuries.  :P  Once spinning, it shouldn't freeze up again unless it stops for a while.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

REMworlder

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest something!

I was just trying to clarify whether turbines *can* versus *should* increase power output during storms. If it's the latter I think it's bug territory. Of course I could just be thinking of super old stuff that isn't relevant anymore.

This is what I was thinking of
Quote from: Tynan on November 19, 2014, 10:41:49 PM
Wind turbines can go higher when it's a windy storm.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7507.msg75696#msg75696

Tynan

Ahh, now I get it. Well, hard snow just implies a lot of snow is falling, so 'wind' isn't really part of that. But very observant of you :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog