Reprogramming of Scyther Drones as a new method of expanding your colony.

Started by Jurgio, June 06, 2015, 11:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jurgio

It would be great if you were able to reprogram defeated drones to aid your colonists. They're faster, stronger and tougher than normal humans, and having something that doesn't need to eat or sleep, and can work 24/7 (except for the occasional battery recharge) would be really handy. Some of the colonists might not exactly approve of their new robot buddies, but hey what can you do? It's not like they'll try to get rid of them somehow...

Perhaps adding a new research project called 'Reprogramming' that allows you to do this? It wouldn't be easy though. For one, it needs to be a big research project (at least 1200 points needed to complete). Secondly, reprogramming can only be done to drones that have already been defeated (and repaired, obviously, which would be costly) and only at specific 'reprogramming' stations. Reprogramming might also not always work as planned, so the newly programmed drone might have a few bugs or even catastrophic system failures. Of course, if it doesn't work out you can always just repair it and start over again.

Drones would need specific programs of varying complexity in order for them to do any jobs (and also for them to not be all-knowing and all-powerful). For instance, I need a drone to do simple work such as hauling and constructing; I program it with a 'simple work' program. Or perhaps I don't have any good fighters, so I need a drone that can handle itself in an intense battle. It needs to be a good shooter and a good close-quarters fighter; I program it with a 'complex fighter' program. The drones do technically come with a fighting program, but the program specifies to kill your colonists, which is a big no-no.

Adding this complex new feature will obviously take time, but just imagine how more interesting expanding your colony will become!

Adamiks

Bodog999

I do like this idea, there is a mod which already allows you to reprogram little crawlers. The same concept could be done to Scythers and Centipedes.

akiceabear

I like the idea. I think that they should be very power intensive for balance, and single function (e.g. cleaning only).

killer117

Id like to have this. Itd be nice to use them as perment guards on ur entrace. They dont need food or sleep so they could stay there permenetly, except for charging.  They could be used for constant farming, or hauling, or mining, so you can specify your colonists for more important jobs. But youd have to limit them somehow, like regular recharging, or slower bots, or weaker, or something like that.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

isistoy

Yes, I also like that idea a lot!
We may also possibly be able to sell or buy some from trade.
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>