Watch tower

Started by Stealth, June 03, 2015, 06:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Card

Or maybe a deployable sniper rifle? there`s a mod that has a deployable A.M gun so it could be like that. Requires a Sniper rifle to build and add + 10 or 15 range and cover to the one wielding it ?

Play2Jens

I like the watch tower thing. It seems pretty realistic, giving the game new tactics, but probably hard to code. I've seen the watch tower being frequently suggested before. I think someone should make a mod for it, see if it's possible.

On the other hand I don't see the use of guard duties and patrols. This would only be useful if the game had Fog of War, which it doesn't. At this moment, you'll even get a clear message if and when they will attack. You can even check the exact location of the enemies and predict where they will go Why would you need a few man to 'check' for raiders anyway? Later on in the game, they would straight ahead get killed by the sheer amounts of raiders.

Besides, a colonist which is idle is a bad excuse for a guard duty. It might be possible that they are patrolling all day. but in the evening, when they go for joy activities, a raid might happen and you have to draft every spare man or woman anyway. Certainly with a11, when raids will be more brutal.

In this type of game I will never see a "patrol" duty coming. "off-map scouting missions" maybe, to spot or sabotage the enemies before they enter the map. Combat training on the other hand is always welcome, although that already exists in mods.

Play2Jens

Quote from: Wild Card on June 08, 2015, 01:53:46 PM
Or maybe a deployable sniper rifle? there`s a mod that has a deployable A.M gun so it could be like that. Requires a Sniper rifle to build and add + 10 or 15 range and cover to the one wielding it ?

This seems more realistic. a sniper or machine gun nest build into a wall is comparable to a tower (extra defense + extra accuracy) and would be much easier to code.

Adamiks

Quote from: Play2Jens on June 08, 2015, 03:40:39 PM

This seems more realistic. a sniper or machine gun nest build into a wall is comparable to a tower (extra defense + extra accuracy) and would be much easier to code.

Actually for this type of building you need only one xml (or more if you're creating new gun) and textures. But if you want make it 100% realistic you will need DLL's because guy with 0 shooting level will can kill everyone using this turret.

Play2Jens

Quote from: Adamiks on June 09, 2015, 10:30:39 AM

Actually for this type of building you need only one xml (or more if you're creating new gun) and textures. But if you want make it 100% realistic you will need DLL's because guy with 0 shooting level will can kill everyone using this turret.

Is it hard to mod this? I know the Superior Crafting mod has turrets colonist can mount, which is pretty similar. Towers are still kind of out of the question for me. With the current game engine, it's impossible to check heights of things.

Trenches might be cool. Pawns which are in trenches get the same cover bonus as behind rocks or sandbags. A trench and a piece of cover in front of it would give the same cover as a wall, but pawns wouldn't be able to attack.

Adamiks

Quote from: Play2Jens on June 09, 2015, 11:39:22 AM
Quote from: Adamiks on June 09, 2015, 10:30:39 AM

Is it hard to mod this? I know the Superior Crafting mod has turrets colonist can mount, which is pretty similar. Towers are still kind of out of the question for me. With the current game engine, it's impossible to check heights of things.

Trenches might be cool. Pawns which are in trenches get the same cover bonus as behind rocks or sandbags. A trench and a piece of cover in front of it would give the same cover as a wall, but pawns wouldn't be able to attack.

Like i said. In general it's easy to make, but if you want make it more logicial you will need dll's, because colonist just allow manned turret to fire, colonists don't actually firing by themselfs so they can be even blind.

Wild Card

maybe smt like in crafting could be added...a slider with a must have min of 10 shooting skill to operate, just like the slider for crafting...but in a frozen position.
or make the reload times dependent on shooting skill?