More advanced hints/tutorial.

Started by Adamiks, June 10, 2015, 07:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

First off i didn't go through tutorial for a loong time, so sorry if will make some mistake(s).

When i first played Rimworld i was so mad at this game so i just stopped playing in it for some days. Why?
1. No one told me about this that i can make walls from other materials than steel. It taked a me long time before i discovered that i can change material by clicking right mouse button.
2. This all "forbidding" system was too strange for me. I found clicking all type of items a little annoying (and i think this is still little annoying for me)
3. When i wanted to play "mincraft" and make mountain base 2 of my colonists get killed by roof (now i'm building only outside bases :D). No one told me about physics in this game!
4. Ugly font. I know this isn't too important in Alpha game, but still font in Rimworld looks like normal default font in notepad (but i think that font is prettier know).

Scraptrader

I had some of theses issues too, but after reading watching quill on youtube, reading wiki and reddit, i figured out most of it. But still i agree a kind of manual would be helpful. I startet to write one, but then i realized a german manual wouldn't be that helpful for most users and if i translate it and have it proofread it would be probably outdated by alpha 11z.

Play2Jens

I guess when the game is ready for an official release, it would be nice if there was a tutorial button. It would load up a savegame with most things already set up for your colony. But the tutorial would give you tasks like "build a room out of ... material" and "place a cooler inside of it". You know, basic survival stuff.

It shouldn't cover everything, otherwise it would become too long and it should leave some room for players to find out things on their own. Like the roof collapses, it should be a 'nice' surprise for new players :D

I think the font is pretty okay. I would like to see the in-game message become more beautiful though. Let some artist make a drawing about the event and put it above the message's text. That should give the player more of an rpg feeling. I know it's similar to Crusader Kings 2, but it works pretty well for me.

Play2Jens

This is what I mean:
(Amazing paint skills)

Spectre

The game is in alpha, it would be pointless busy work for Tynan to do an in game manual as things are subject to change.

Doesn't Rimworld have a wikipedia or some sort? (Just checked and it does) and the information on that is pretty much up to date compared how it used to be.

Also I do think there's a certain amount of fun playing games like this not knowing everything, especially something like cave-ins and the like. Sure, you need to know things like how to set up stock piles and assigning jobs (which the game already does) but other things can be explored by the player.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.