[Poll] What would you like for A12?

Started by Play2Jens, June 10, 2015, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What feature would you like Tynan to work on for the next Alpha?

Relationship system
Better factions system + interaction with them
Water interaction
Better inventory system
Animal husbandry
Glass and windows
Advanced start of new games
Dogs / wargs as pets (or other animals)
More endings
More resources
Advanced events
Other

Play2Jens

I know you are all busy playing the new alpha release, but what would you like Tynan to work on next?
I made a short list with the things I saw the most on the suggestions subforum

Relationship system:
- Colonists keep track of how much they like/dislike other people. They will start to like others more by talking with them, having traits or backstories in common and experiencing things together like a rescue or fighting off enemies side by side.
- Colonists with a lot of relationship points will form a romantic relationship or a lasting friendship, giving positive bonus moods, new art work and new events.
- Events might pop up that will ruin the friendship or relationship, or might turn people who don't like each other in friends.
- Will also work towards other factions. Becoming best friends with a chief might give huge bonuses, but is only possible by common traits or certain events.

Better factions system + interaction with them:
- Faction relationships are calculated by talking to their boss, sending one of your colonists away as an ambassador or making sure their pawns won't get killed on your grounds. Certain events might pop up asking if you could send them spare food, weapons or silver. You can also defend them when they get attacked on your grounds. (Currently player would rather seem them killed because they drop loot)
- Factions get their own characteristics. Tribes might like you because you don't use too much technology and raiders might like you because your colonists eat people.
- Friendly factions might come with gifts or help you put out a fire or finish of a building
- You can send one of your colonists on a spy mission to sabotage the enemy by destroying something, killing their leader or stealing weapons/tech. This will result in their raids becoming weaker or less frequent. This spy can also be discovered and hurt or even murdered.
- Factions should be discovered, either by scouts/traders/travelers passing by the colony; or by the player sending scouting missions to places on the map.
- New faction suggestions. (Evil corporation, Vikings, High-technological city, environmentalists, ...)

Water interaction:
- Enemies arrive by boat on coastal maps
- The world generator will spawn rivers which are visible in maps
- New joy activities with water
- Late game feature: able to "dig" water tiles, useful for defense or pools or whatnot.
- The ability to build hydraulic dam, bridges and boardwalks.
- Ground next to water automatically becomes very fertile soil (except for beaches or rock).

Better inventory system:
- Colonists can possibly equip a secondary weapon, giving a negative bonus to balance it.
- Colonists can equip meals and medicine to use it during a fight. They will automatically use it once they are in cover and not attacking anyone.
- Craft a backpack, which slows pawns down but will increase their capacity to carry/haul things.

Animal husbandry:
- Basically the ability to build fences and keep muffalos or other animals. They will automatically reproduce and when there are too much of them in a pen, the hunter will come and slaughter them.
- They need to be captured, but won't be that easy. (otherwise hunting would become obsolete)
- No need for gender, but would need at least 3 of a kind. Animals sleep at night.

Glass and windows:
- Colonists are able to produce glass, which is used in building windows, lamps and some other decorative things.
- Windows will give light by daytime and will make the buildings feel more like real life buildings

Advanced start of new games:
- EdB's Prepare Carefully mod converted to the vanilla game.
- Maybe we get to see the spaceship before it crashes and make some choices which will influence the beginning of the game?

Dogs / wargs as pets (or other animals):
- Dogs need to be tamed or obtained.
- They might do simple tasks like hauling weapons and stuff
- Used by raiders and colonists the attack/defend
- Joy activities

More endings:
- http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11275.0

More resources:
- http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13277.0

Advanced events:
- Events where the player has a choice what the outcome will be. These outcomes might spawn reactionary events, making them some sort of a small story arc.
- http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13477.0 (story arc events)
- http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9755.0 (normal events)

Other Suggestions are always welcome, but try to post complete new ideas in the suggestions forum! This is merely a shortlist of features I have often noticed lately. Feel welcome to discuss these ideas, or expand them further.

Lady Wolf

Relationships would be fun, although I would prefer it happen dynamically without the player being able to "force" relationships on characters via right clicking or whatever.

Pets would be fun too, although they would definitely need to be scripted to follow the allowed/not allowed zone markings since otherwise they probably wouldn't survive most of the new A11 events.

The associated new traits that would go along with these game parts would interact in fun ways too, since the "dog person" would gain substantial mood boost from taking in a stray while the "allergic to animals" person is debuffed, which could well effect the relationship these two colonists formerly had.

Being able to train your pets to hunt would also be pretty cool, and the cats could help keep the squirrel population int he garden under control, and with a high enough animal handling skill a colonist could train them to bring the dead kills tot eh freezer on their own. (assuming you have auto doors built so the animals can move through the colony freely.

Riftmaster

I like the idea of water interaction.  You could even make it a resource, and add desert water generation/collection equipment or something.

And I like the idea of animal husbandry, it could even be tied into water resource - as in, they have to have a pond or artificial water source in their pen.

ZestyLemons

I'd love to see relationships fleshed out sometime soon, but I'd also love to see some more tiered building stuffs.

Lots of the crafting is resource -> product right now. It's pretty simple, but I miss the Dwarf Fortress crafting of resource -> refined resource -> combine with other refined stuff for product.

I found myself very wealthy, but didn't really have anything to invest into but more medicine. I would've loved to have some gunsmithing, armor crafting, and technology crafting stuffs to fill my colonist's time.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: ZestyLemons on June 11, 2015, 02:16:18 AM
I found myself very wealthy, but didn't really have anything to invest into but more medicine. I would've loved to have some gunsmithing, armor crafting, and technology crafting stuffs to fill my colonist's time.

Having a weapon/armor repair table would be nice too, it can be frustrating having a amazing piece of armor (or dropping 10 grand on a superior power armor suit) and see it slowly whittled down to junk over time with there being nothing you can do about it.

Negocromn

I'd really like to see animal taming, I usually spend a lot of time with it in any game that has it.

And Tynan please, if you ever do add this, stay away from cage traps, can't think of anything more antifun than cage traps.

Play2Jens

Quote from: Negocromn on June 11, 2015, 11:00:41 AM
I'd really like to see animal taming, I usually spend a lot of time with it in any game that has it.

And Tynan please, if you ever do add this, stay away from cage traps, can't think of anything more antifun than cage traps.

How would you get them tamed then? Right click and feed them food? And later on when they get used to your colonists, pet them, learn them new tricks and so on?

llunauk

I was a bit torn between some of the options!

RickyMartini

It seems like people really want to see those faction relations. :)

Negocromn

Quote from: Play2Jens on June 11, 2015, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: Negocromn on June 11, 2015, 11:00:41 AM

How would you get them tamed then? Right click and feed them food? And later on when they get used to your colonists, pet them, learn them new tricks and so on?

idk, anything that is simple and functional

that also doesn't involve littering the map with 500 cage traps like in Dwarf Fortress

edit: my answer was inside the quote x.x

LanMc

Wow, only two?  Well, ok, but I think all of them are pretty nifty.  Thank goodness for mods!!! 
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: LanMc on June 11, 2015, 06:22:32 PM
Wow, only two?  Well, ok, but I think all of them are pretty nifty.  Thank goodness for mods!!!

Well, in theory, people should want everything they can get, since the game's still in development. Limiting it to 2-3 means you can only pick the things that you want most. I had a hard time choosing, too. ;)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

TLHeart

I had a very easy time picking the first one, need interactions with the other factions... a whole long list of them.

that was my vote.

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Lady Wolf

Another thing that would be cool to see in A 12 would be limited building along the z axis?

I understand the issue with letting us build upwards in that you have to then calculate attacks on higher floors from ground level and the hassle of how the mountains are shaped as you go up in altitude.

However, what about just being able to build downwards into the ground by a single level? This would give us the ability to fortify a bit more on flat terrain, and open up mining the ground for minerals instead of relying solely on what's in cliff sides.

Pre A11 I could see the issue with building a sprawling underground complex with only a single kill box entrance and being pretty much immune to attacks, but now with the enemy bright enough to runnel through weak points in your walls I can see them doing the same and just digging down into your underground rooms from above if you didn't keep some decent topside fortifications as well.